Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Want to make bicycle trailer

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-23, 02:09 PM
margoC

Bikes: Caloi MTB, Raleigh heritage international

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts

The grocery store is only 2 miles away, I would like a trailer that I could switch between a mountain bike that is now my utility bike, and my folding bike (that I haven't received yet).

I don't know if my folder will fold with anything on the seat tube, I was hoping to find something, or make something, that would be easily switched between bicycles.

I haven't looked at the used market yet, thought I would ask the experts first.
Old 11-17-23, 01:19 AM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
It will be cheaper and easier to find a used kid trailer, and remove the seating arrangement, leaving you with a cargo bay. Many of which have tongues that attach to your rear axle, and can be pretty easily swapped from bike to bike. I use a Burley kid trailer for exactly the type of grocery runs that you describe (and sometimes much longer trips). Mine is a double-wide, for 2 kids, and without the seats, has room for a couple hundred dollars' worth of groceries.
Likes For TC1:
Old 11-17-23, 04:49 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
It will be cheaper and easier to find a used kid trailer ….Many of which have tongues that attach to your rear axle, and can be pretty easily swapped from bike to bike….
I did this several years ago and have long-term experience with some details. See https://www.bikeforums.net/21220581-post693.html
Old 11-19-23, 10:05 PM
margoC

Bikes: Caloi MTB, Raleigh heritage international

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
I was talking to my neighbor who has a child trailer on his bike, he got it barely used for 50 bucks. I'm going to keep my eyes open.
Likes For margoC:
Old 11-24-23, 12:58 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
It will be cheaper and easier to find a used kid trailer, and remove the seating arrangement, leaving you with a cargo bay. Many of which have tongues that attach to your rear axle, and can be pretty easily swapped from bike to bike. I use a Burley kid trailer for exactly the type of grocery runs that you describe (and sometimes much longer trips). Mine is a double-wide, for 2 kids, and without the seats, has room for a couple hundred dollars' worth of groceries.
Cheaper and easier, by far.
Over 15 years ago I paid $5 for this Schwinn Varsity and $10 for this well worn child trailer at a garage sale. Modified the trailer by adding rubber strap/bungee cords (all roadside finds) and topped with a few flattened cardboard boxes for a stable floor for cargo. Has been in use ever since for hauling groceries, recyclables, yard waste and whatnot without any issues.

Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 11-26-23, 08:57 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
For a trailer that will be swapped between bikes, I favor single wheel trailers, like the BOB Yak. The modified Q/R skewer that stays on the bike is completely invisible when no trailer is attached. Also the single wheel trailer complements the handling and maneuverability of a bicycle very well. I'd try to find an actual BOB Yak used, or as an alternative, a used Burley Nomad cargo trailer. Either is, to me, much more aesthetic than modifying a child trailer <shudder>.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 11-26-23 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-26-23, 09:35 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
For a trailer that will be swapped between bikes, I favor single wheel trailers, like the BOB Yak. The modified Q/R skewer that stays on the bike is completely invisible when no trailer is attached. Also the single wheel trailer complements the handling and maneuverability of a bicycle very well. I'd try to find an actual BOB Yak used, or as an alternative, a used Burley Nomad cargo trailer. Either is, to me, much more aesthetic than modifying a child trailer <shudder>.
Everybody has their own priorities. For me, when I want the utility of a cargo carrying trailer capable of carrying more cargo/stuff/groceries than can be handled safely on a two wheeled bike, practicality trumps aesthetics.
Old 11-26-23, 05:55 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Either is, to me, much more aesthetic than modifying a child trailer <shudder>.
Both of the options I suggested earlier are designed from the ground up, to attach to a bicycle, and carry cargo. They are not compromise solutions that in any way diminish practicality for aesthetics. Win-win in my opinion.
Old 11-26-23, 06:03 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Currently 75% off at Walmart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sefzone-F...xoCLJ0QAvD_BwE