Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best stiffness:weight for DIY trailer floor?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-23, 01:03 PM
williaty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I'm looking at retrofitting another commercial trailer frame with a floor to make it useful for cargo hauling. I've used 1/4" thick HDPE sheet before and it's been bombproof, as well as completely uncaring about weather and road salt. However, it's HEAVY. Does anyone have a suggestion for a material that has as good or better stiffness than 1/4" HDPE, still is completely unaffected by the weather, yet weighs less?

Yes, I realize I could spend a million dollars and make a honeycomb-core carbon panel. No, I'm not willing to do that.
Old 12-05-23, 01:27 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Stiffness at what scale? I used shelving material which has about 1” of section along one edge. The overall assembly is stiff. For point loads I cover it with 1/4” plywood.

see:

https://www.bikeforums.net/21220581-post693.html
Old 12-05-23, 01:28 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
You're right, solid HDPE is heavy. Not cheap either, but fully 'recyclable' and bombproof.

With this project you describe, is there to be something under the surface that'll see wear and tear from cargo? Untextured HDPE itself is kinda slippery & 1/4" won't support pallet jacks for long without something thicker underneath.

Polypropylene is stronger, weighs less but costs more than similar thickness HDPE. Depending on how long you want to use this trailer you may be able to shave some weight using PP over HDPE or hardwood-planked trailer subfloor. In any event I'd look for sheeting with some texture for safety if you expect to be working in wet conditions.
Old 12-06-23, 04:34 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by williaty
I'm looking at retrofitting another commercial trailer frame with a floor to make it useful for cargo hauling. I've used 1/4" thick HDPE sheet before and it's been bombproof, as well as completely uncaring about weather and road salt. However, it's HEAVY. Does anyone have a suggestion for a material that has as good or better stiffness than 1/4" HDPE, still is completely unaffected by the weather, yet weighs less?

Yes, I realize I could spend a million dollars and make a honeycomb-core carbon panel. No, I'm not willing to do that.
Will your cargo be packages or overpacked? If so, what is the purpose of an extra stiff floor? My DIY trailer floor uses rubber straps stretched across the trailer frame covered by cardboard and has carried much cargo and yard waste for over a dozen years w/o any problem.

See:
DIY bike trailer floor

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 12-06-23 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-06-23, 06:47 PM
williaty

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Will your cargo be packages or overpacked? If so, what is the purpose of an extra stiff floor? My DIY trailer floor uses rubber straps stretched across the trailer frame covered by cardboard and has carried much cargo and yard waste for over a dozen years w/o any problem.

See:
DIY bike trailer floor
It's a utility and touring trailer, so in the long run it'll have just about everything in it. I figure if I eventually wear out the bottoms of packs from stuff chafing against the fabric on the inside, I'll eventually wear out the trailer bottom fabric too. I'm just trying to get ahead of that problem.
Old 12-06-23, 11:58 PM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by williaty
6061-T6 is two orders of magnitude stiffer than HPDE, and only 3 times denser. There are good reasons why aircraft are built from aluminum, and not HPDE. For almost any question seeking a light and strong material, aluminum is a good answer.
Likes For TC1: