Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mikado Cyclotoureur Triple showcase

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-24, 01:21 PM
5Aki1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts

Hello hello!

I bought this Mikado Cyclotoureur Triple of an older gentleman a couple of years ago and I wanted to share it here as my first post. He saved all of the documents in a folder. Everything from the spec sheet, the upgrades, etc. I might scan and show at some point when I have more time. The photos with the red foam are the original. Since then, I have put a new rear rack, because the old one wasn't compatible with my pannier, new pedals (kept the old ones), new handlebar tape, and I've changed the read wheel, because I got into a small accident that scrapped the original unfortunately. Other than that, its all original. Enjoy

Original

Original

Original item list

Old 04-29-24, 02:34 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked 1,035 Times in 673 Posts
Good looking bike, @5Aki1 . I like the way it is fitted out and the paint looks excellent. I also like the bottom bracket generator. Do you use it? I don't use my because of the noticable drag it creates. It is kind of odd for me because I like them, but I don't use mine.

Your front tire looks like the latex has aged off of the sidewalls. You can get away with riding with the fabric exposed for a short time, but it is vulnerable to anything hitting it. You will want to start looking at tyres. Did I see that right? 27" x 1-1/4 on the front and 27" x 1-3/8 on the rear with 90 psi for the front and 55 psi for the rear. Not that you have to inflate them to the maximum pressure. That is unusal. We as owners of bikes sometimes pick tires for the front and rear that are different, but usuallly the manufacturer spec's the same tire front and rear.

Many of us here are big fans of Panaracer Pacelas. Me too. My favorate by far. Panaracer also makes a Sand Canyon 27" x 1-3/8" tire. Some here have commented that they don't seem any wider than the Pacela. I can't say because I don't have Sand Canyons to compare.

Anyway, I'm off on a tangent. Nice bike Enjoy.

Edit: Ah, I see the bottom bracket generator is gone along with the rack and U-lock mount.

Last edited by Velo Mule; 04-29-24 at 02:40 PM.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 04-29-24, 02:34 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 2215 Post(s)
Liked 4,705 Times in 1,796 Posts
Nice! With a 48-spoke rear wheel and Weinmann A129 rims that was meant to be a serious touring bike.

Enjoy!

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 04-29-24, 06:04 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 114 Posts
Lovely bike, but the front rack is backwards.
Likes For rando_couche:
Old 04-30-24, 05:26 AM
5Aki1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rando_couche
Wait seriously?! I honestly had no idea. I got it like this and never used it. I'll flip those around. Thanks for the heads up!
Likes For 5Aki1:
Old 04-30-24, 10:54 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 1,762 Times in 991 Posts
A time capsule bike for sure! I wonder why they chose a Huret RD to go with the Shimano drivetrain?
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 04-30-24, 07:18 PM
Ciufalon

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Beautiful bike and it looks like a very solid touring machine, which means it's a great all-arounder in my opinion. Should provide many happy miles of riding!
Likes For Ciufalon:
Old 04-30-24, 09:23 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 492 Posts
Originally Posted by rando_couche
The rack orientation is incorrect but I'm not sure that it's because they are on backwards. The top bars of the racks need to be level so that you can hang panniers on them. If you flip them around then the upper clamps won't be able to reach the forks with the tops level. I think that you should be able to just slide the upper mounts backwards to level out the racks.

Almost forgot to mention...Beautiful bike!