Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Talk to us about CCM bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-10, 06:29 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts

Haven't seen many, as they seem not to have left Canada much. What can you tell us?

Sixty-Fiver just posted a picture of a 3-speed he's passing along since he can't ride upright bikes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-06-10, 08:55 AM
skyrider

Bikes: 85 bianchi stelvio, 80s Rossi, 80s Fiori modena

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To much history to many models to randomly talk about, lots of ccm threads here and also CCM bikes arent allowed to leave the country.
Old 10-06-10, 11:52 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
There is another CCM thread here I started a few years ago... many pictures and a lot of information is contained within that.
Old 10-06-10, 11:54 AM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They'll make good anchors for your boat!
Old 10-06-10, 12:06 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
They'll make good anchors for your boat!
True, in many cases, but there were a couple of nice old CCM road bikes offered in the fifties, sixties and seventies. My 195? CCM Westonia is a decent old road bicycle, although nothing terribly special. But my mid seventies, CCM "Tour du Canada" is a high end road bike with full Reynolds 531 tube set and Campagnolo forged drops. You must be a wealthy person, to use such a bicycle as a boat anchor.

Old 10-06-10, 04:36 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

My friend is one of the foremost authorities on CCM bikes alive and have to make that trip over to his place to take some pictures of his rather impressive collection.

He is such a devotee that he took an unbuilt CCM racing frame (tubeset) and sent it to Ron Cooper in England to have it built up.

We just finished repairing a pre-1917 CCM for him to rebuild and add to his collection.

Anyone who has benefited from that little serial number scan of CCM date codes can thank him as he compiled this from his collection of CCM service manuals and posted it for people to share.

He also has a rather impressive collection of very early components which he has brought for show and tell and our local paper wrote a very nice article on his passion for these old bikes.

https://www.edmontonjournal.com/healt...378/story.html

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 10-06-10 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-06-10, 06:30 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by skyrider
CCM bikes arent allowed to leave the country.
Thats hilarious! True or Not True?
Old 10-06-10, 06:38 PM
divineAndbright

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I had a chance to acquire a tour du canada id probably at least have a look at it at of curiosity, none of the others interest me in the slightest though, er, apparently someone, or people built track framesets for ccm way back when as well, someone here acquired at least 3 or 4 of them and posted photos, they looked quite nice actually.
Old 10-06-10, 07:28 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

If I had a chance to acquire a tour du canada
I have seen only one Tour du Canada offered, for sale, in all the years that I have been collecting vintage racing/touring bicycles. And, I bought it immediately, paying substantially more than I had ever paid for any other bicycle. Two days, ago - nope - yesterday, a set of original decals, purchased in the mid seventies, turned up, free of charge. The gentleman who gave them to me even covered the shipping costs.

Tour_du_Canada_Or.jpg
Old 10-06-10, 07:35 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
True, in many cases, but there were a couple of nice old CCM road bikes offered in the fifties, sixties and seventies. My 195? CCM Westonia is a decent old road bicycle, although nothing terribly special. But my mid seventies, CCM "Tour du Canada" is a high end road bike with full Reynolds 531 tube set and Campagnolo forged drops. You must be a wealthy person, to use such a bicycle as a boat anchor.

Hah, no... but CCM bikes are quite common - more so than anchors(so why not!).

Maybe some CCM were collectors item, but i get a kick out of thinking somebody is polishing a CCM somewhere. Now, if you have some Steve Bauer, then maybe.
Old 10-06-10, 07:49 PM
randyjawa 

if you have some Steve Bauer
Yup, got one hanging in The Old Shed as I write, but there is a dent in the top tube. Also, I know where one more is, but I am not willing to pay the asking price, even though the bicycle is pretty close to mint, as I recall.
Old 10-06-10, 08:46 PM
brockd15 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Err...just an observation:

Randy, I've noticed you always say "bicycle" or "bicycles" instead of "bike" or "bikes," sorta like some broadcasters always say National Football League instead of NFL.

Ok guys, back to you.
Old 10-07-10, 12:26 PM
skyrider

Bikes: 85 bianchi stelvio, 80s Rossi, 80s Fiori modena

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if im not mistaken ccm was subsidized by the canadian govt. and they placed tariffs on imports so manufacturers set up shop here and assembled here to get around the tarrifs e.g. Sekine bikes, Zaphod glad u like my sense of humour, take care
Old 10-07-10, 01:19 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Canada did impose tariffs on imported bikes just like the US did to protect domestic makers from an influx of cheap asian and European bicycles and this also affected the prices of upper end bicycles like Raleigh.

Raleigh started producing bikes here in 1978 and Sekine started production here because of the North American demand being so high and to reduce their shipping costs on what were massive numbers of bicycles.

The quality of Sekine bicycles can be very good and they were manufactured in Manitoba.
Old 10-07-10, 01:30 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
CCM are the Schwinn of canada, the ones before the 70's where nice CCM. some are very unique. this is one of my CCM.

I have another strange one with a 3 speed cycro top tube shifter also

Theres also ineresting yet awesome ones. this one being a Flyte. not mine but I wish it was lol
https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3514/...bcb31f569c.jpg
Old 10-07-10, 01:46 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by HSean
CCM are the Schwinn of canada, the ones before the 70's where nice CCM. some are very unique. this is one of my CCM.

I have another strange one with a 3 speed cycro top tube shifter also

Theres also ineresting yet awesome ones. this one being a Flyte. not mine but I wish it was lol
Do you mean Cyclo ?

Sounds like you have the Cyclo shifter that went along with the 3 speed conversion kit they sold in the 50's and 60's to make Sa 3 speeds into 9 speeds.
Old 10-07-10, 01:50 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yeah Cyclo. it was made for the CCM though, the frame has tabs on it to support derailer's springs and the derailer itself.

This is the bike in question. I don't think i'll ever fix it, maybe rob the gears off it and somehow make em fit on another bike.
Old 10-07-10, 01:51 PM
randyjawa 

Err...just an observation:

Randy, I've noticed you always say "bicycle" or "bicycles" instead of "bike" or "bikes," sorta like some broadcasters always say National Football League instead of NFL.
In days gone bye, I used to restore and/or customize (chop) antique motorcycles. I wrote a book about how to do this on a tight budget. That book, Half Price Harley, was published in 1987. So...

For me, there is always the conflict between motorcycle (bike) and bicycle (bike). Two completely different things, in this instance. In the NFL (see, I can do it) example, both the name and the acronym mean exactly the same thing.

Besides, to me the word "cycle" is melodious and I like the way it rolls (pardon the pun) off of my tongue.

Does any of that make sense?
Old 10-07-10, 02:13 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Yeah Cyclo. it was made for the CCM though, the frame has tabs on it to support derailer's springs and the derailer itself.

This is the bike in question. I don't think i'll ever fix it, maybe rob the gears off it and somehow make em fit on another bike.
That is a completely different beast as that is a chainstay mounted derailleur and would not cannibalize that bike for parts buut look at restoring it... it looks like the front fork is rather bent and this is something many old CCM's seem to suffer from as their fork blades were not that good at surviving impacts.

It also has a very old style crank and probably dates to the 30's... a triangular spindle was used in the teens and twenties as were wooden wheels buut many of these wooden wheels were replaced with steel when they wore out so are very hard to find.

The CCM ladies models often suffered from seat tube failures.

Another note that is helpful for dating is that CCM abandoned using riveted head badges in 1965 and went to a transfer as you see on my now sold 1965 CCM Continental... I was told this was probably one of the last really nice roadsters CCM produced before their quality started to slide downward.

I still have the original Flyte saddle for the bike but would only use this as a display saddle as it is a vicious little torture device and the Brooks saddle is far superior.
Old 10-07-10, 02:46 PM
BigPolishJimmy

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That is a hansom chainguard, with the fenders that really gives the bike some elegance.
Old 10-07-10, 02:58 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
That Cyclo equipped bike is an early 50's Club Racer...straighten the fork and find some original drop bars.
Old 10-07-10, 03:13 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts

Donate that bad boy to re-cycles, they would likely use it. I'd think about taking it off your hands for a winter project but Ottawa's a bit of a drive for a bike... LOL.
Old 10-07-10, 03:15 PM
brockd15 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
In days gone bye, I used to restore and/or customize (chop) antique motorcycles. I wrote a book about how to do this on a tight budget. That book, Half Price Harley, was published in 1987. So...

For me, there is always the conflict between motorcycle (bike) and bicycle (bike). Two completely different things, in this instance. In the NFL (see, I can do it) example, both the name and the acronym mean exactly the same thing.

Besides, to me the word "cycle" is melodious and I like the way it rolls (pardon the pun) off of my tongue.

Does any of that make sense?

Makes perfect sense to me.
Old 10-07-10, 03:15 PM
HSean

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The frame is also damaged at headtube, whatever the bike hit, it hit it hard lol. it needs the right rear brakes, someone changed the rear brake, both leavers and the bars and hit something hard lol I might restore it though, i'm not sure yet. It was a weird color though, it's been painted, The triangle spindle dosn't tighten right to. and gears wont shift right, the bikes a mess! THe bike Sixtyfiver had is the males version of the female one at the bike co op I help at. I love the chainguards. The bike came from the other bike co op, Recyclore. At recycles all the nice old bikes always get taken so I go away from the busy places lol
Old 10-07-10, 03:41 PM
divineAndbright

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont think the "Schwinn of Canada" is all that fitting, at least not in a more "modern era". Schwinn made much more higher quality models - paramount, superior, volare, and not to mention all the 80s jobs like circuit, tempo, peloton, etc. All ccm had was the tour du canada, I dont think the silver ghost and concorde and mistral really fall into the same sorta line. Maybe if ccm stuck around longer.. then again they went bankrupt for a reason, they kinda focused on department store stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.