Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Re-installed Bottom Bracket, now Front Derailleur (DI2) not shifting properly

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-23, 04:35 PM
nickc3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So, this is second time I've done BB maintenance....First time went smooth.
This time, just did a cleanup of grit and re-greasing. Re-installed - everything shifted OK in stand. Went out, and it was not shifting into big ring most shifts. Brought it back home, uninstalled pedal side...gave crank side a good smack a few times to make sure shaft was all the way though. Re-tightened, tested shifting...seemed better. Out on street..seemed OK, but then realized same issue.

Any ideas? Should I re-install the bottom bracket as well? Perhaps tighten more? Could the Derailler just have gotten mis-adjusted? Or perhaps you need to adjust the FD (DI2) sometimes after reinstalling a Crank?

Thanks in advance for help or guidance.
Old 05-01-23, 04:49 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4830 Post(s)
Liked 3,951 Times in 2,569 Posts
You might tell us what bike you have or at least the crankset. It sounds like the crank isn't slid onto the BB spindle quite as far (or further; you haven't said how the shifts differ).

Press fits are not an exact science, I find I usually have to tweak the limit screws a little after taking off and re-mounting a crankset. And I would fully expect to need to also tweak the cable barrel adjust if I ran index. (Another reason I remove cranksets as seldom as possible.) I'll let the brifter/Di2 folk give you better advice but my dollar says they'll just repeat what I said with details.
Old 05-01-23, 06:54 PM
nickc3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi, the BB is threaded (Shimano Dura Ace)

Its a Dura-Ace standard crank

The difference in shifting is that it doesn't shift into the big ring. The derailler moves, but I assume not far enough...because perhaps the crank isn't properly re-installed?
Old 05-01-23, 07:52 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 355 Posts
Just for haha's did you check whether the DR is still aligned while you had it in the stand and it shifted onto the large chainring? What you're describing sounds like the DR moved or you need to set the outer (H) stop to allow the cage to move farther out. Good luck.
Old 05-02-23, 05:34 AM
nickc3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I micro adjusted top limit 2 steps and that seems ok in stand. I'll check on road

But should I be concerned but how to make an adjustment after maintenance? Is it possible my reinstallation wasn't exactly good? Even though I reinstalled it three times and I was still having that issue? I don't recall doing anything that would have misaligned the FD
Old 05-02-23, 04:50 PM
nickc3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, went for a 20 mile ride.....shifting perfectly for 19 of those miles. Then at end, it started not shifting into the large ring again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What could be happening? Could the crank be loose somehow? Very strange.
Old 05-03-23, 09:55 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by nickc3
So, went for a 20 mile ride.....shifting perfectly for 19 of those miles. Then at end, it started not shifting into the large ring again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What could be happening? Could the crank be loose somehow? Very strange.
It sounds like the spindle is sliding around sideways between the bearings. Loosen the pinch bolts on the left crank, tap the drive side crank with a mallet, and re-tighten the side-load nut on the left.
Old 05-03-23, 10:22 AM
nickc3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
It sounds like the spindle is sliding around sideways between the bearings. Loosen the pinch bolts on the left crank, tap the drive side crank with a mallet, and re-tighten the side-load nut on the left.
Yes. Thanks

​​​​​​I think I may actually just reassemble the whole thing again

Maybe I'll do the mallet things first

If it fails just start all over

And if that fails....LBS!!! SIGH
Old 05-03-23, 10:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6246 Post(s)
Liked 4,847 Times in 3,343 Posts
If you understand what the function of the stopper plate is on the left crankarm and you correctly used it during the installation of the crank arm, then your crank arm isn't the issue.

But since you jumped at the idea that you need to tap on it with a mallet, then you probably have overlooked the stopper plate use entirely. And the stopper plate may even be damaged now.
Old 05-03-23, 11:01 AM
nickc3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
If you understand what the function of the stopper plate is on the left crankarm and you correctly used it during the installation of the crank arm, then your crank arm isn't the issue.

But since you jumped at the idea that you need to tap on it with a mallet, then you probably have overlooked the stopper plate use entirely. And the stopper plate may even be damaged now.
I do understand the stopper plate function and reinstalled it correctly. It is not damaged . That said, surprised to hear that you think that is issue ... Correct me if I'm wrong but purpose of it is safety in case the bolts loosen up. Prevents crank from flying off or moving of volts are loose. I properly torqued the bolts
​​​​​​thx again
Old 05-03-23, 11:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6246 Post(s)
Liked 4,847 Times in 3,343 Posts
If you were able to push the stopper plate in, prior to tightening the bolts on the crank arm, then the crank is far enough on the spindle.
Old 05-03-23, 02:11 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 1,602 Times in 743 Posts
Check the the frame support grub screw on the FD.
Likes For BTinNYC: