Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Too tight or too loose?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Too tight or too loose?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-21, 08:46 AM
Deetox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Too tight or too loose?

I’m trying to fix up an old abandoned bike I found with the intention of using it as a beater but I’ve ran into a snag while overhauling the BB. Unfortunately the previous owner had it adjusted too loose with a considerable amount of play and after adding new grease/bearings and attempting to readjust it myself it’s become clear I have no chance of getting it perfect.

The non-drive side spindle cone is still in great shape but the drive side cone has some uneven looking wear and some pitting which is obviously the reason for this trouble. I know it’s not optimal to keep using it in that condition but I've ridden other bikes with pitted BB spindles before and it honestly didn't bother me too much. The rest of the drivetrain is also fairly worn so I’d like to see how much more life I can get out of everything before I consider any replacements.

Anyway when I adjust the preload to the point where there is no play it feels too tight and very rough/grindy and the only way I can get it to spin somewhat smoother without much resistance is to leave it adjusted a tad loose with a small amount of play.

So my question is which adjustment would theoretically last me longer and cause the least amount of additional damage/wear to the spindle? Tight/rough feeling with no play or slightly loose/smoother with a bit of play? I’m guessing most likely the latter but some confirmation would be appreciated.
Old 09-01-21, 08:56 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Deetox
So my question is which adjustment would theoretically last me longer and cause the least amount of additional damage/wear to the spindle? Tight/rough feeling with no play or slightly loose/smoother with a bit of play? I’m guessing most likely the latter but some confirmation would be appreciated.
Either way the assembly is already compromised. It’s probably going to plummet to useless quickly either way. Why throw all your hard work down the drain? Buy new parts…or at least obtain used parts that aren’t compromised. Seriously consider a sealed BB.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 09-01-21, 09:16 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Theoretically a cup and cone bearing should have a little preload for longer life. It should not be loose at all. But worn parts probably throw that theory out the window.
Old 09-01-21, 09:29 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
In the end, BB's with pitted parts are a waste of effort. It's going to go bad pretty fast. If you have access to a bike co-op, I would bring the bike in and you might luck into a works-great BB for not much trouble. Donuts and beer might help.
Old 09-01-21, 09:31 AM
Deetox

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Hmm ok looking through my parts I do have a 127mm cartridge BB I had forgotten about. Would that be a suitable replacement for the 124mm spindle? (asymmetrical)
Old 09-01-21, 09:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
It'll be perfect if it fits and everything lines up.
Old 09-01-21, 10:32 AM
Deetox

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Well scratch that idea. I had assumed the BB shell width was 68mm but I just measured it only to discover it's actually 70mm! What the heck?? The bike is a Supercycle Hooligan from 2007 I believe. I know it's a low end Canadian Tire bike but why on Earth would they choose such a rare measurement for the shell?

Guess I have no choice but to use the pitted spindle now.
Old 09-01-21, 10:38 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
I’m trying to fix up an old abandoned bike I found with the intention of using it as a beater but I’ve ran into a snag while overhauling the BB. Unfortunately the previous owner had it adjusted too loose with a considerable amount of play and after adding new grease/bearings and attempting to readjust it myself it’s become clear I have no chance of getting it perfect.

The non-drive side spindle cone is still in great shape but the drive side cone has some uneven looking wear and some pitting which is obviously the reason for this trouble. I know it’s not optimal to keep using it in that condition but I've ridden other bikes with pitted BB spindles before and it honestly didn't bother me too much. The rest of the drivetrain is also fairly worn so I’d like to see how much more life I can get out of everything before I consider any replacements.

Anyway when I adjust the preload to the point where there is no play it feels too tight and very rough/grindy and the only way I can get it to spin somewhat smoother without much resistance is to leave it adjusted a tad loose with a small amount of play.

​​​​​​I would leave it a hair loose. It wil likely run like that for a very long time with no issues.
Make sure lockrings are tight.
No need to buy new parts till you actually need them.
Old 09-01-21, 10:52 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
I have never done this but it certainly looks plausible...

Old 09-01-21, 11:19 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
So buying a new BB isn't an option?
Old 09-01-21, 11:28 AM
Deetox

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by blamester
​​​​​​I would leave it a hair loose. It wil likely run like that for a very long time with no issues.
Make sure lockrings are tight.
No need to buy new parts till you actually need them.
That's kind of what I originally thought/hoped. Like I said I've ridden bikes with pitted cones before (BB's and wheels) and most of the time I couldn't even notice it. I've also taken apart dozens of other ditched bikes with pitted cones that must have been ridden for many years like that. Obviously not ideal but is it really that huge of a problem all the time?

Maybe I'll just try riding with it for awhile and see how it goes. if it doesn't work out it appears I can in fact use a 68mm cartridge BB in a 70mm shell with the only drawback being 1mm of error on each side.

Last edited by Deetox; 09-01-21 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-01-21, 11:35 AM
Deetox

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zandoval
I have never done this but it certainly looks plausible...

https://youtu.be/7teBpbzMEcc
What a great idea I might have to give that a shot some day.
Old 09-02-21, 07:37 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Well scratch that idea. I had assumed the BB shell width was 68mm but I just measured it only to discover it's actually 70mm! What the heck?? The bike is a Supercycle Hooligan from 2007 I believe. I know it's a low end Canadian Tire bike but why on Earth would they choose such a rare measurement for the shell?

Guess I have no choice but to use the pitted spindle now.
Some bikes were like that. As long as the bottom bracket shell is English-threaded, you can still use a regular "68mm" cartridge unit like the Shimano UN300. The left-side cup will thread all the way into the shell and disappear as it makes contact with the rest of the bottom bracket.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-02-21, 11:33 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,484 Times in 3,208 Posts
I’ve ran into a snag.
*run

Are you using new loose balls, 11 on each side?
Old 09-02-21, 12:33 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
*ran....i ran so far away