Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

pakiT has arrived!

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

pakiT has arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-17, 06:24 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
pakiT has arrived!

More details later...build has velocity A23 rims and race hubs, sugino cranks, shimano 105 caliper brakes with tiagra levers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0119.jpg (965.5 KB, 283 views)
Old 12-15-17, 08:03 PM
dahoneezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Funky handlebar. Nice. Would it be harder to twist shift in that config as oppose to in a straight bar config?
Old 12-15-17, 08:09 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by dahoneezz
Funky handlebar. Nice. Would it be harder to twist shift in that config as oppose to in a straight bar config?
The bar in my Nitto upside down. The stem turned out much higher than I expected and I may get it cut down but if not, this works quite well. I've been using it right side up on my NWT for a couple years and shifting and braking are super easy. I actually had a tendency to sometimes accidentally shift when I had straight bars if I went over a bump since my hand was on the rubber shifter part - this never happens on the swept back bars.
Old 12-15-17, 09:40 PM
dahoneezz

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Ha ha ... upside down . Who would have thought ... It looks absolutely unique. If it works, keep it please.
Old 12-15-17, 09:52 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 76 Posts
That's sweet! I dig the color and the flipped 'path racer look' bars. Two thumbs up! 👍👍
Old 12-15-17, 09:59 PM
edelay

Bikes: Dahon Curve D8 (Sturmey Archer X-RF8), Crius Smart 3.0 5 speed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well kitted out bike. The swept back bars are unusual, but I like them. How does it ride?
Old 12-15-17, 10:24 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by edelay
Well kitted out bike. The swept back bars are unusual, but I like them. How does it ride?
I've only had a couple of hours on it so my thoughts are preliminary. I was absolutely unprepared for the difference between wide 20" wheels and very skinny 16" wheels with slicks. I'm adjusting to the twitchiness and narrow tires but I probaby won't feel comfortable until I've had a few more rides. Right now I am aware of them - eventually I hope not to be.
Aside from the wheels, the bike rides much like any road bike. The geometry is different from my NWT so I am still dialing in the perfect fit.
The good: bike is totally silent, shifts beautifully, brakes really well given they are calipers (I'm used to avid v brakes). The wheels are lovely and the hubs roll for days. I put Velo Orange touring pedals on and they are quite nice and grippy. Instead of moving my heavy brooks over, I bought a Fizik saddle and it is actually a revelation! My butt has never been so happy =).
I haven't pulled my burley travoy with it yet, but I did figure out how to clip the folded bike to the travoy so I can take the bike inside when I go grocery shopping.
Total weight including my bell is just a little under 20 lbs. Not sure I will keep the kickstand, I keep getting my pant caught on it, and it's 92 grams anyway. If I dump the kickstand and decide to cut down the stem (and put the bars right side up) that will drop the weight a little bit. But it's incredibly light and responsive.
Old 12-16-17, 06:54 AM
badmother

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by linberl
I've only had a couple of hours on it so my thoughts are preliminary. I was absolutely unprepared for the difference between wide 20" wheels and very skinny 16" wheels with slicks. I'm adjusting to the twitchiness and narrow tires but I probaby won't feel comfortable until I've had a few more rides. Right now I am aware of them - eventually I hope not to be.
Aside from the wheels, the bike rides much like any road bike. The geometry is different from my NWT so I am still dialing in the perfect fit.
The good: bike is totally silent, shifts beautifully, brakes really well given they are calipers (I'm used to avid v brakes). The wheels are lovely and the hubs roll for days. I put Velo Orange touring pedals on and they are quite nice and grippy. Instead of moving my heavy brooks over, I bought a Fizik saddle and it is actually a revelation! My butt has never been so happy =).
I haven't pulled my burley travoy with it yet, but I did figure out how to clip the folded bike to the travoy so I can take the bike inside when I go grocery shopping.
Total weight including my bell is just a little under 20 lbs. Not sure I will keep the kickstand, I keep getting my pant caught on it, and it's 92 grams anyway. If I dump the kickstand and decide to cut down the stem (and put the bars right side up) that will drop the weight a little bit. But it's incredibly light and responsive.
Wow, you`ll be a speed monster on that one! Keep us updated. Well done!
Old 12-16-17, 10:20 AM
linberl

My son would laugh to hear me and "speed monster" in the same sentence, lol. But, yes, it is quite easy to feel like you are moving fast on 16" wheels...probably a false perception (waiting on my new wireless speed and cadence sensors). But after all the angst of deciding, I'm happy. Early days yet but it seems to be exactly what I wanted and needed. And I'm glad I went with the orange...
Old 12-16-17, 10:39 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 202 Posts
Very nice, congrats!

Is that an Off Yer Bike carry handle? It looks similar to the Brompton, but the Brommie version is a different configuration - very wide strap at the back, narrow strap front.
Old 12-16-17, 12:09 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by bargainguy
Very nice, congrats!

Is that an Off Yer Bike carry handle? It looks similar to the Brompton, but the Brommie version is a different configuration - very wide strap at the back, narrow strap front.
Similar - it's a Moving Grip by Bluesprite, comes with shoulder strap as well.
Old 12-16-17, 01:35 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Nice looking rig, congrats... we need a folded pic!
Old 12-16-17, 03:36 PM
tdonline

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Nice! How long do you think you can comfortably carry it around? Is the chain really, really close to the ground? Good to hear you like the ride. Good choice with the 8 speed derailleur? Tried any tough hills yet?

A little disconcerting that the handlebar came too long--even though BF has your measurements (from previous bike) and it still wasn't right. I have to say, the non-adjustable handlebar stem is the biggest wet blanket factor against the Pakit for me.
Old 12-16-17, 05:31 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by tdonline
Nice! How long do you think you can comfortably carry it around? Is the chain really, really close to the ground? Good to hear you like the ride. Good choice with the 8 speed derailleur? Tried any tough hills yet?

A little disconcerting that the handlebar came too long--even though BF has your measurements (from previous bike) and it still wasn't right. I have to say, the non-adjustable handlebar stem is the biggest wet blanket factor against the Pakit for me.
So I gave them my measurements from the NWT I had. BUT - the geometry on the pakiT is quite different (stem and mast are angled back quite a bit while more straight up on NWT). So the stem mast ended up about 1/5" too high. The seat measurement would also have been the same difference but of course it's adjustable. I do love quill stems because of the adjustability (there are adjustable ahead stems on the market btw). I'm riding this weekend with the bars down about an inch+ on the mast (no headers, please, ouch) to find the right position then I am going to get it cut down Monday. I decided not to keep using the upside down Nitto bars because it made snapping the stem/bars on to fold a slower process with fitting it just so; with the regular bar it just slides in quickly.

It's just under 20 lbs with my handle thingy, bell, etc. But there's a shoulder strap that clips on the handle thingy if I am carrying it for a long time to share the weight. The handle is fine if I'm going up stairs or in and out of stores, etc. I've carried purses that weighed more, lol.

The rear der is a 4 inches off the ground to around 6 inches up depending on gear, but I've not had any issues even going off curbs. No hills yet (24 mph winds here today...eww).

Every day the ride gets better and better - today it felt like my NWT, only better in some ways. I didn't notice the small wheels or any wobbling today from them. I actually almost rode hands-free which I cannot do on my NWT at all. And - sacrilege - I like the Fizik saddle way better than the brooks.
Old 12-16-17, 08:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
the upside down handle bars is not so weird ,the Durstly Pedersen bikes were set up like that 100 years ago..

telescoping clamped handle bar mast, is on my tikit, so its adjustable in height . (It was offered, I suspect)
maybe they will swap for one functionally similar , credit the one you have

just sawlng it off can be done , though the cut edge will lose its powder coat ... so get touch up paint..

but dialing in the bar height... stem is not holding the headset down like a threadless headset fork,

so you are free to clamp it or many different ones anywhere on the steering mast.

Etc, etc.

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-16-17 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-16-17, 09:52 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by fietsbob
the upside down handle bars is not so weird ,the Durstly Pedersen bikes were set up like that 100 years ago..

telescoping clamped handle bar mast, is on my tikit, so its adjustable in height . (It was offered, I suspect)
maybe they will swap for one functionally similar , credit the one you have

just sawlng it off can be done , though the cut edge will lose its powder coat ... so get touch up paint..

but dialing in the bar height... stem is not holding the headset down like a threadless headset fork,

so you are free to clamp it or many different ones anywhere on the steering mast.

Etc, etc.

Yeah, they said that it's not safe to clamp the ahead stem lower to change the bar height. No option for the adjustable stem when I spoke with the to configure the bike, but once I get it set right for my "low" position then I can flip the ahead stem or use riser bars if I decide I want it higher later on (age is intractable).
I figure it's safe enough to clamp lower for a few days while I dial in the exact position. After the lbs cuts and files it, I will touch it up with either some black paint or clear coat - thanks for that tip.
I do like the upside down bars in terms of looks and feel, but it's too hard to clip to the frame compared to the narrow straight bars.
Old 12-16-17, 10:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

You can replace the stem you have, with an angle adjustable one, and flip it over to angle in either direction...

I had Bike Friday Separable straight bars for my p. Llama, went with trekking bars , and the BF flat ones went on the Tikit..

On another bike I used Nitto's Mustache bars the brake lever , old, road, mounts in front .. whole thing taped .
[Old Bridgestone bike Specs]

trekking bars offer even more hand grip places,.. Have a grip shifter, & straight bar levers on them ..

Many after market options..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-16-17 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-16-17, 11:20 PM
linberl

You can replace the stem you have, with an angle adjustable one, and flip it over to angle in either direction...

I had Bike Friday Separable straight bars for my p. Llama, went with trekking bars , and the BF flat ones went on the Tikit..

On another bike I used Nitto's Mustache bars the brake lever , old, road, mounts in front .. whole thing taped .
[Old Bridgestone bike Specs]

trekking bars offer even more hand grip places,.. Have a grip shifter, & straight bar levers on them ..

Many after market options..

The pakit is a different beast from the other BF bikes - the bars need to be a specific width and shape to properly clip in to the stem retention system when folding.
Old 12-17-17, 09:03 AM
pbekkerh
Likes special bikes

Bikes: Solio 1910, Colnago Sprint 1986, Nehan TT 1989, Bianchi Mercatone Uno 1999, Boreas Aër Roadbike 2003, Canondale six13 2004, Ghost SE7000 MTB 2009, Bike Friday Tikit Hyperfold 2011, PlanetX Excocet II 2014 White Fatbike 2021,

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
How many gears on the cassette?

PS: Has nobody found an alternative to the Devils horns on the back? ;-).
Are they removable?

Last edited by pbekkerh; 12-17-17 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-17-17, 10:04 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Originally Posted by linberl
The pakit is a different beast from the other BF bikes - the bars need to be a specific width and shape to properly clip in to the stem retention system when folding.
I was speaking of height , not width, look at your seat mast...
Old 12-17-17, 10:39 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by pbekkerh
How many gears on the cassette?

PS: Has nobody found an alternative to the Devils horns on the back? ;-).
Are they removable?
8 speed, but my Velocity race hub will handle 11 speeds (not that I have any need for that).

The kickstand is removable. The only thing I've come across so far is the click stand. Still deciding if I want to go that route. It IS nice to be able to just swing the wheel under and it stays put. Clickstand would require a little more effort. But I touch that "horn" with my foot/pants too much when I ride and I don't have big feet. I found what I think would be a brilliant solution but I don't think they make it anymore (kwikstand). It's a little stick that has an end that matches the hole of your specific crank bolt. Just pop in the crank bolt hole and done. The bike is so light that would be plenty to hold it up. But I think they are defunct. Another option is the upstand, which doesn't get rave reviews for anything loaded, but might be okay for a sub 20lb bike.
Old 12-17-17, 10:41 AM
linberl

I was speaking of height , not width, look at your seat mast...
Yes, but on the pakiT, you have to consider both. Trekking bars, moustache bars, etc., will be too wide and not have the right angles to be able to attach to the stem pin position. Trade offs.
Old 12-17-17, 11:24 AM
fietsbob
Banned

my other straight bar bikes are fine with Ergon Grips...
I may need a longer bolt to meet its bar mast catch, (on the Tikit) because the grip is not round.

But I fold the Brompton more easily, but the Tikit has a different hub, Sram i-9, I'll be waiting for spring to ride it..

Brommy has a hub Dynamo light set, .. I don't go far in my town..

good luck finding optimum comfort on the bike you bought.

Old 12-17-17, 12:11 PM
linberl

my other straight bar bikes are fine with Ergon Grips...
I may need a longer bolt to meet its bar mast catch, (on the Tikit) because the grip is not round.

But I fold the Brompton more easily, but the Tikit has a different hub, Sram i-9, I'll be waiting for spring to ride it..

Brommy has a hub Dynamo light set, .. I don't go far in my town..

good luck finding optimum comfort on the bike you bought.

I think I'm just about there...was really a matter of adjusting the dimensions because of the difference in the geometry between the NWT and pakiT, something I did not realize. The NWT masts are fairly straight in rise and the pakiT is dramatically angled back. I would have thought BF would have made adjustments for this from my NWT measurements but they did not. The rearward rotation of the dimension lowered everything by about an inch and a half. Sliding the stem down to that point and riding now feels exactly like my NWT which is a wonderful fit. So off to the lbs monday to get it cut down. I also ended up using a longer stem than my NWT which BF apparently knew might be needed since they included two with my bike to find the right reach fit.
Old 12-17-17, 05:14 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 76 Posts
Not adjusting the numbers for the angled-back handlepost is a pretty serious mistake..I'm surprised they missed that. But it sounds like you've solved the problem.

After all my musings about Brompton, it turns out I'm joining you in Bike Friday World! I'm moving and my riding situation is changing a lot, so I sold the Brommie and picked up a used BF Haul-a-Day cargo bike. It's going to get a mid-drive electric kit. Whee!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.