Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

hey, hey, hey

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

hey, hey, hey

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-13, 02:02 PM
sugottopua

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey, hey, hey

Hola amigos!
I'm looking to get into commuting and i'm wondering what your thoughts on a good bike [style] are - road bike? commuter bike?, etc. I'm a smaller person (5'1"; 106 lbs) and there will be hills, do i need a lighter bike?
Old 05-03-13, 02:03 PM
Erwin8r

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi. Yes.
Old 05-03-13, 02:14 PM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
I am about your size. I commute every day and have hills. You don't need a 17lb road bike (unless you want one just because). I have 20ish lb touring bikes for my commuter bikes. They have mountain bike gearing for the hills. A hybrid bike might work out well for you. It's not always easy to find extra small size bikes, but they are out there.

Have you looked at any bikes in particular yet?

My herd of bikes is mostly odd-ball brands so I am not up to speed on what the latest available bikes are at bike shops, but other folks here might be able to offer suggestions.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 05-03-13, 02:22 PM
sugottopua

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eofelis
I am about your size. I commute every day and have hills. You don't need a 17lb road bike (unless you want one just because). I have 20ish lb touring bikes for my commuter bikes. They have mountain bike gearing for the hills. A hybrid bike might work out well for you. It's not always easy to find extra small size bikes, but they are out there.

Have you looked at any bikes in particular yet?

My herd of bikes is mostly odd-ball brands so I am not up to speed on what the latest available bikes are at bike shops, but other folks here might be able to offer suggestions.
i've only looked at bikes on craigslist. For whatever reason, i like the look of vintage roadbikes. I'm not concerned about a brand, i'm just not sure what style of bike is best and i don't care to spend too much money for it. i appreciate anything you have to say : )
Old 05-03-13, 02:41 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
If you are fond of road bikes, I'd think something that is not quite a racing machine might suit. Something with 28 to 32C tires, rack eyelets and a more relaxed geometry than an all-out racer. This is sometimes called a "sport touring" bike.

I've commuted a handful of times, but I've use an 80's mountain bike that has been hybridized with road tires and drop bars. Makes a bombproof city bike and reasonably nimble. Fun to ride.
Old 05-03-13, 03:33 PM
neil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sugottopua
i've only looked at bikes on craigslist. For whatever reason, i like the look of vintage roadbikes. I'm not concerned about a brand, i'm just not sure what style of bike is best and i don't care to spend too much money for it. i appreciate anything you have to say : )
If you're riding hills, a wider gear range will probably be preferable. This makes buying road bikes more challenging, since they usually don't have the same range as mountain or touring bikes. On some bikes this is an easy modification of just swapping the cassette (the stack of gears at the back), while on others the derailleur also needs to be changed, which is a bigger process.

If you're buying new - and you may have to, since bikes in your size are hard to come by - I'd agree that a sport tourer is probably the ideal style given your requirements and noted preferences, but this is a fairly niche bike, so not the easiest thing to find on the used market. A mountain bike or hybrid (MTB frame with road wheels) would also fit your technical requirements though not necessarily the desired aesthetic.

The fact that you yourself are quite light will probably help with the hills. Lighter bikes will be easier at the beginning, but your legs will adapt to whatever model you settle on.
Old 05-03-13, 04:04 PM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

I don't know much about vintage road bikes but I don't think they show up in extra small sizes much. They probably didn't even make them that small.

An older steel frame, rigid fork mountain bike might be found in a 13" frame size. I saw one here locally on CL for $15. It needed to be built up though. Many older bikes usually need some rehab to bring them up to good riding condition.

If you are just learning about bikes it's probably best to visit a bike shop where they can help you out. What is your budget? Are you mechanically inclined and willing to learn to work on your own bikes?
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 05-03-13, 04:07 PM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

I don't know St Louis at all, but maybe there is a bike co-op or bike kitchen where they can help you build up an older bike that would suit your needs.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 05-03-13, 06:27 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
All you need is a bike. It's not as big a deal as your thinking it is.
Old 05-04-13, 04:31 PM
sugottopua

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neil
If you're riding hills, a wider gear range will probably be preferable. This makes buying road bikes more challenging, since they usually don't have the same range as mountain or touring bikes. On some bikes this is an easy modification of just swapping the cassette (the stack of gears at the back), while on others the derailleur also needs to be changed, which is a bigger process.

If you're buying new - and you may have to, since bikes in your size are hard to come by - I'd agree that a sport tourer is probably the ideal style given your requirements and noted preferences, but this is a fairly niche bike, so not the easiest thing to find on the used market. A mountain bike or hybrid (MTB frame with road wheels) would also fit your technical requirements though not necessarily the desired aesthetic.

The fact that you yourself are quite light will probably help with the hills. Lighter bikes will be easier at the beginning, but your legs will adapt to whatever model you settle on.
I've been told I could just switch the tires on my MTB from "nobbies" to "slicks". Should I just do that?
Old 05-04-13, 04:33 PM
sugottopua

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by capejohn

Good point.
Old 05-04-13, 04:57 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
If you like to look of a vintage road bike, then buy one! Post a few Craigs List ads of ones that interest you, and we can guide you as to what is good and what is junk.
Old 05-04-13, 05:03 PM
SurlyLaika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by capejohn
Yea but this is bikeforums where we like to over think and discuss everything bike.
Old 05-04-13, 05:10 PM
Cfiber
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hola amigos!
I'm looking to get into commuting and i'm wondering what your thoughts on a good bike [style] are - road bike? commuter bike?, etc. I'm a smaller person (5'1"; 106 lbs) and there will be hills, do i need a lighter bike?
What's your budget?
Old 05-04-13, 05:40 PM
sugottopua

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cfiber
What's your budget?

Since I was thinking used, I didn't want to spend more than $120. Crazy?
im not opposed to fixing/creating my own bike (it actually sounds fun) but I have absolutely no idea where to begin or anything.
Old 05-04-13, 05:42 PM
sugottopua

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frpax
If you like to look of a vintage road bike, then buy one! Post a few Craigs List ads of ones that interest you, and we can guide you as to what is good and what is junk.
I'm looking but as others have mentioned it hard to find a bike that will fit me. When I do, I will definitely request your opinions : )
Old 05-04-13, 06:08 PM
sugottopua

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well...this? 18" frame, 27" wheels.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/3785051200.html
Old 05-04-13, 06:17 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Uh, no.
While very cheap, there are much nicer bikes out there for not much more money.
Old 05-04-13, 06:32 PM
Cfiber
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a woman's bike and it's too large for you. Are you female?

Last edited by Cfiber; 05-04-13 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-04-13, 06:34 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
No Fat Albert here, or any of the Cosby Kids...........carrying on.
Old 05-04-13, 07:06 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been told I could just switch the tires on my MTB from "nobbies" to "slicks". Should I just do that?
You should if you would like to make it MUCH easier to pedal on pavement.

Don in Austin

Last edited by Don in Austin; 05-04-13 at 07:06 PM. Reason: TYPO
Old 05-04-13, 07:24 PM
Cfiber
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since you already have a bike that fits you and your budget is tight, just make do with what you have....

Yes! Switching the tires to slicks would work much better on paved roads than your knobbies.

Since I was thinking used, I didn't want to spend more than $120. Crazy?
im not opposed to fixing/creating my own bike (it actually sounds fun) but I have absolutely no idea where to begin or anything.
Use the $120 for your brand new slicks. That wouldn't be so crazy!

I'm looking but as others have mentioned it hard to find a bike that will fit me. When I do, I will definitely request your opinions : )
You don't need anybody's opinion concerning a bike that you already own and have ridden.

Your mountain bike will do just fine!
Old 05-04-13, 07:26 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Bring your budget up a bit and get a really good vintage road bike. Here's one that would be awesome:

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/bid/3754536553.html
Old 05-05-13, 10:00 PM
saxdiva
Über Geek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would, and then use any money left over for accessories and a tune-up if your bike needs it. MTB gearing will help if you have serious hill climbing, and your setup will work just fine for as long as you need to decide for yourself what would work better.