Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can i use a non-offset 32 hole hub on a standard 3 cross wheel build?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-14, 12:25 AM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I got a hub from a friend. It is a no-name hub, probably a joytech or something. I am looking to build up a spare set of disc brake wheels for my disc brake bike (700c). The rim is just a vintage 700c rim, Rigida. The hub is one of those disc brake hubs where the disc side flange spacing is like 61mm and the non-disc side flange spacing is like 45mm. The only real catch in the wheel build is that the holes from the disc side to the non-disc side are not offset like they are on standard hubs. I am going to attach a picture so you can see what I mean.

Will i still be able to build a standard 3x wheel with this hub? I already have the spokes and hub and rim, I just wonder if it will work or is the offset necessary for a proper wheelbuild?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WP_20141222_21_40_47_Pro.jpg (70.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 12-23-14, 12:56 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
so the drive-side and non drive-side spoke holes are drilled straight across from one another. hmmm. shouldn't be much of a problem, i wouldn't think. spoke length calculators may be a bit inaccurate , but not much.

if the flanges were the same size i guess there could be long-term problems due to a torque mismatch or a rear wheel, but seeing as how the flanges are of a different diameter that may not be a problem.

OTOH, it could just be a manufacturing flaw.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 12-23-14 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-23-14, 08:48 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,438 Posts
Yes, you can use the hub. If you lace up the first flange normally, the spoke lengths on the second will change up and down by about half the distance between holes - the distance between where the holes are and where they should be - or about 2-3mm or so. You need plan for that by adjusting the spoke lengths, or you might run into issues of alternation too long/too short.

You might get away without adjusting spoke lengths by splitting the difference and having the spokes on both flanges be long/short but only half the difference.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-23-14, 09:14 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Here's my question: "Are you BUYING a rim and spokes?" My general philosophy is that if I already own parts I'll try to put them together and see if I can make it work. If I'm buying parts I'll hold out for stuff that I KNOW will work.

It sounds to me like you were given a free hub so now you're trying to build it into a wheel that you don't really need. Believe it or not, I totally get that. If I already owned a rim and spokes I'd definitely lace it up. If I owned a rim but had to buy spokes, I'd probably still do it. If I had to buy both to lace up a wheel that might not work and that I really don't need, not so much.

Oh - and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to make it work, you'll just have to be a little more careful than usual to gradually tension the two sides evenly. I'd also round the spoke lengths up on both sides.
Old 12-23-14, 02:20 PM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oh no, the hub was given to me super cheap, 5 dollar donation to them for it. I already have the rims and spokes from a wheel I disassembled a while back. I will put it together and see how it goes. I used a more standard rear freehub for the rear wheel which I already built and came out fine (with offset drilled holes and equal length flanges). The rear wheel was built up from half a package of new spokes. This front wheel in question will be built up from the disassembled spokes which appear to be fine. I'm not so worried about the front spokes being used. I have never broken a front spoke, only rear spokes. The rims were from a pair of wheels built up on Shimano Sante that i disassembled because the hubs were complete and in mint shape, they are being sold with the rest of the groupset.
Old 12-23-14, 03:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My 02, you may be better off Just getting another Hub, of course . why start out handicapped ?
Old 12-23-14, 04:16 PM
Cyclist01012
Banned.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
is it a disc hub?
Old 12-23-14, 04:23 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,438 Posts
If you have spokes, a rim and some time to kill, then lace this up. Ignore the offset for the moment, and observe the results. The learning experience will give you some insights and a better feel for the interaction of hole position and spoke length. The lesson is easily worth the time involved.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.