Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How can I ride 'no hands'?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How can I ride 'no hands'?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-18, 03:41 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
To be prepared. What if you need to flip off two drivers at once? It would really suck if you crashed while teaching them a lesson. Safety first!
Obviously an Eagle Scout.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 08-06-18, 06:35 PM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Unzip the pocket to answer the phone ...
If motorists can't use the phone while driving because it's distracting, cyclists shouldn't either... But I guess, since you're not going to hurt anyone but yourself that way, go ahead. Metal beats flesh every time...
Old 08-06-18, 06:38 PM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SeanBikes
If motorists can't use the phone while driving because it's distracting, cyclists shouldn't either... But I guess, since you're not going to hurt anyone but yourself that way, go ahead. Metal beats flesh every time...

Well... not ALWAYS...
Bicyclist sentenced for fatal S.F. crash

Anybody know his screen name?
Old 08-06-18, 09:35 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It wasn't over the top enough to clue you in?
Old 08-07-18, 02:56 AM
Carllitos

Bikes: Dunelt bsa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So this is how I did it.

The simple one is that you need a bike that has straight wheels and tight pedals and cranks (if not it will easily unbalance you).

If all is good start riding, get up to a good speed (not to slow or to fast), stop paddling and let it ride out, while doing that try to let go of the handlebars (one hand at a time) and find your balance (with your butt) keep doing it until it gets easier. Do all of that but now try to paddle while letting go of your hands (one at a time).

The tip is to balance yourself with your butt and feet (while paddling your feet do the balancing).

Hope this helps
Old 08-07-18, 06:12 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Mods, Please Help...

...if @JohnnyCyclist cannot learn this in the next 30 days, he should forfeit his screen name and become @JohnnyInternet. Just sayin'
Old 08-07-18, 08:17 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Nah, the epic selfies on bikes are always worth the risk. I specially like the ones without my helmet while bombing down the mountain side with the peloton.
Old 08-07-18, 08:44 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Buy a bike with a really big toe overlap gap, slack head tube geometry, long chain stays, etc....

I can ride no handed pretty easy on the CX race bike. The aero race bike, no way. Way too twitchy for a mere mortal.
Old 08-07-18, 09:52 AM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
It wasn't over the top enough to clue you in?
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Nah, the epic selfies on bikes are always worth the risk. I specially like the ones without my helmet while bombing down the mountain side with the peloton.
​​​​​​​Hey man, I've seen people do it... I don't know you, so I can't assume how responsible you are. Glad to hear it was sarcasm...
Old 08-07-18, 09:58 AM
wphamilton

Hey man, I've seen people do it... I don't know you, so I can't assume how responsible you are. Glad to hear it was sarcasm...
I'm trying to imply that it doesn't matter why he wants to ride no-hands, he just wanted to know how. You weren't supposed to be baited, maybe I should have made it more over the top. I'd have thought "adjusting the headphones" would be the trigger though.
Old 08-07-18, 10:01 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Hey man, I've seen people do it... I don't know you, so I can't assume how responsible you are. Glad to hear it was sarcasm...
Don't take anything written here seriously...that goes for the interwebs. You'll have a breakdown
Old 08-07-18, 10:24 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
To answer the OP's OP: find a flat, traffic free, pothole free bit of road. On a still day.
Ride at a moderate speed in a slightly heavier gear than normal (I find it easier if I'm pushing rather than spinning).
Hands on tops.
Ride for a bit with just your finger tips on the tops.
When you get comfortable doing that, ride for a bit with just your index finger tips on the tops.
When you get comfortable with that, take your hands off completely.
Sit up straight, look down the road, not at your bars or your front wheel.
Keep practicing.
Old 08-07-18, 10:48 AM
chiefkurtz 
Tange

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Super Course Mk II, 77 Nishiki International, 77 Motobecane Super Mirage, 84 Team Fuji, 85 Schwinn Traveler, 86 Schwinn Prelude, 86 Raleigh Technium 460, 87 Raleigh Technium Tri Lite, 88 Cannondale "Crest", 96 Giant ATX 830, 05 Trek 1000

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyCyclist
No matter how many times I've tried, my 'no hands' attempts have failed. Is it that I prefer a 'stretched out' position, making it difficult to balance given my long long top tube and long stem - plus my preference for a large saddle-to-bar drop? Or is it simply a fear to be overcome? Any pointers appreciated.
I do it a lot. I know it's not the safest thing, but my gut keeps rolling the waistband of my shorts down.
Old 08-07-18, 12:48 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5999 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner
Trail... HOW DOES IT WORK?!
Through gravity I believe. Because of the trail the front of the bike has to lift a little to allow the front wheel to turn, it's pushing the front wheel straight by pushing down on it. With zero trail the steering would be so light it would probably be difficult with two hands on the handlebar
Old 08-07-18, 01:25 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
Through gravity I believe. Because of the trail the front of the bike has to lift a little to allow the front wheel to turn, it's pushing the front wheel straight by pushing down on it. With zero trail the steering would be so light it would probably be difficult with two hands on the handlebar

I don't think this is the way trail works. I am pretty sure that most bikes you are likely to encounter will do just the opposite: Gravity is actually in favor of the wheel being off-center. This becomes apparent when the bike is not moving, or moving very slowly. And I am not talking about the weight of the bars flopping the bike to one side, either. This would be true even with the bars removed, because the front of the bike drops slightly when the wheel is turned off-center. I think you would need a negative trail in order for gravity to favor a centered position.

The centering effects of trail require the bike be moving.

At least that is how I understand it.
Old 08-07-18, 02:08 PM
wphamilton

In practical terms of "how does trail work" in riding no-hands, more trail makes the steering slower, more stable at high speeds and easier to control with hips (no-hands).

I hadn't thought of it before, but it's an interesting question from Stadjer. I think that trail itself will not intrinsically cause the front of the bike to rise when the wheel is turned, but fork offset which is related to trail, would. Because with a straight fork, in line with the steering tube and with no offset, there is trail but the angle from the contact to the crown wouldn't change (equals no change in how high it is). In the other case, with an offset then the angle would change. When the angle changes, and the length is the same, then the distance from the ground would change.
Old 08-07-18, 03:54 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by chiefkurtz
I do it a lot. I know it's not the safest thing, but my gut keeps rolling the waistband of my shorts down.
If you had a big enough gut, you could steer the bike with it.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 08-07-18 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-07-18, 03:57 PM
chiefkurtz 
Tange

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Super Course Mk II, 77 Nishiki International, 77 Motobecane Super Mirage, 84 Team Fuji, 85 Schwinn Traveler, 86 Schwinn Prelude, 86 Raleigh Technium 460, 87 Raleigh Technium Tri Lite, 88 Cannondale "Crest", 96 Giant ATX 830, 05 Trek 1000

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
If you had a big enough gut, you could steer the handlebars with it.
I hope not. I'm proud I've dropped 18 kilos since going on Whole 30.
Old 08-07-18, 06:36 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
In practical terms of "how does trail work" in riding no-hands, more trail makes the steering slower, more stable at high speeds and easier to control with hips (no-hands).

I hadn't thought of it before, but it's an interesting question from Stadjer. I think that trail itself will not intrinsically cause the front of the bike to rise when the wheel is turned, but fork offset which is related to trail, would. Because with a straight fork, in line with the steering tube and with no offset, there is trail but the angle from the contact to the crown wouldn't change (equals no change in how high it is). In the other case, with an offset then the angle would change. When the angle changes, and the length is the same, then the distance from the ground would change.
OK, now I have doubts about what I said earlier about the front end dropping as the wheel turns off center.
Old 08-07-18, 07:03 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by Kapusta

OK, now I have doubts about what I said earlier about the front end dropping as the wheel turns off center.

Get out a yardstick, measure and let me know! I thought at first you might be right, then thought about it, and I could still be wrong. It has happened before ...

... I just tried it, and I think you're right it drops when you turn the wheel sideways. But such a small amount about a mm or less, it's hard to be sure. I think the tire curvature has something to do with it.

Last edited by wphamilton; 08-07-18 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-07-18, 07:06 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I was thinking of having a contest to see who can ride the fastest no-hands for 15 seconds, while taking a picture or video of the speedometer.
Good idea ?

I've probably done 25+ mph downhill without even thinking about, while having a snack.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-07-18, 07:22 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
I was thinking of having a contest to see who can ride the fastest no-hands for 15 seconds, while taking a picture or video of the speedometer.
Good idea ?
Any bonus points for maintaining speed, while also managing to click the shutter at the exact moment the timer hit 1:00:00? Because I was no hands for a good while there.

Old 08-07-18, 07:35 PM
Tape2012

Bikes: 2017 Ribble CX5

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Any bonus points for maintaining speed, while also managing to click the shutter at the exact moment the timer hit 1:00:00? Because I was no hands for a good while there.

Sorry, doesn't count. The pic doesn't show all of the handlebars. You could have had your pet squirrel steering during that pic.

For the record, I was traveling thru GA and ate an entire Waffle House chicken fried steak waffle in heavy traffic while steering with my knee. Took 40 miles. Then 30 minutes at the next rest stop.
Old 08-07-18, 09:14 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
HOW DID YOU KNOW ABOUT MY SQUIRREL!?!

His name is Randy, and he lives in the seat tube. My wife is sure he's in there, because as she says, "Hills come up, and you don't slow down. It's cheating."

Randy works for peanuts. <ba-dum-tiss>
Old 08-07-18, 09:38 PM
Tape2012

Bikes: 2017 Ribble CX5

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
HOW DID YOU KNOW ABOUT MY SQUIRREL!?!

His name is Randy, and he lives in the seat tube. My wife is sure he's in there, because as she says, "Hills come up, and you don't slow down. It's cheating."

Randy works for peanuts. <ba-dum-tiss>
Um.... I think the one in your seat tube is a gerbil. Sorry, I tried to let one go but couldn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.