Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Could I have bent my rim when mounting a tire?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-14, 11:50 PM
RandomTroll
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

2 days ago the front brakeshoes' grip increased over 2 spots on the rim. I found 2 small bulges, about 6 inches apart, each about 3 inches from the valve hole. I had replaced a punctured tube the day before and struggled: the tire a Panaracer RiBMo Pt, is very stiff; I mounted it first March 29 (so much for its puncture-resistance: a goathead's thorn had gotten through.) This was the first time I had taken it off. I took 3 tries: the first time I pinched the tube between the rim and tire, puncturing it in 2 places; the second time I didn't get the bead under the rim properly: after an hour (sitting) the tube popped out and exploded (at the spot where one of the bulges is); both of these are rare events for me: they haven't happened in 10 years, at least. The rim is a Sun CR 16 I mounted on 2009 June 15, about 25,000 miles ago.

Could I have bent the rim mounting the tire? I bent it straight with a locking wrench. It's held for 40 miles. Can I expect it to last long?
Old 04-30-14, 12:00 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
It's possible I guess, but hitting potholes with too low air pressure will do the same thing.
Old 04-30-14, 03:56 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I fixed a front wheel that I crashed hard by taking a vice grip and squeezing it back in line slowly, plus I replaced 3 spokes. This was 9 years ago and I still ride this wheel. So yes, it will last.
Old 04-30-14, 08:15 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
The usual bent wheel from mounting a tight tire is not small localized dents but more of the taco type of bend. I doubt that the mounting did the damage. As Bill K said it was most likely because during the flat (or after the repair) you rolled over a couple of rocks/bumps/pot holes. Andy
Old 04-30-14, 09:16 AM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Is it possible that the braking path is worn down to the point where its somewhat weakened allowing stresses that would normally not affect a rim to allow it to bend too easily?
Old 04-30-14, 10:32 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
It's possible you pulled the rim flange out when mounting, or it could have been from potholes. The coincidence of the 2 locations has me believing the first theory.

In any case, you did the right thing fixing the problem so you could move on. Unless you were extremely hamfisted the odds are that the rim outlast you, ot until you finish it off some other way. Put this behind you, but either get tires that fit better, get a thinner rim strip, or improve your mounting techniques so it doesn't happen again. (plenty of "tight tire" threads and suggestions here on BF)

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.