Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A proper photoshoot of the Losa built Krapf bike.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-23, 08:27 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked 4,992 Times in 1,777 Posts

Well...or at least better than the quick shots I took this winter. I can't kneel on the repaired knee yet so I'm manually focusing while crouching and swaying on a lot of the shots. And the old Canon was struggling with the reds like usual.

But as I got this one down this morning I was struck again by how beautiful it is. Just needs a proper set of wheels to do it justice. Still holding off on the first ride until I can go all out for at least 5 miles or so.

Not bad for a 40 year old bike!

Had to play around with tires to get semi-decent clearance from the crimped seat tube.

Those stripes and the V in the lug!

Suntour Goodness

Generic Shimano hubs

Was going to add thin yellow stripes to the finishing tape also but the yellow on this bike is more golden than the tape I had.

Generic Shimano hubs
Old 05-29-23, 08:32 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

I love these shifters

Gold bolts are a nice touch

Replaced the original black Suntour chainrings with these silver Dura Ace one.

More Superbe jewelry

This had an early Shimano FD braze-on that required an early Shimano Dura Ace FD for proper fitment. Other FD's would not clear the chainring.

Shiny stem!

Modern concession for looks and performance

Soma bars for the win!

I assume this means the bike is a 1982 model

More of the Superbe bling.
Old 05-29-23, 08:36 AM
jamesdak 

I love fondling these shifters, is that weird?

Chrome has held up pretty well

Lug detail

BB detail and dang it, need to clean this up some still.

Rear drop out detail

More Superbe bling with a cool dustcap.

Check out that teardrop cutout, cool!

Yep, she's a looker!

The fork is just so sexy

Comfortable bars
Old 05-29-23, 08:39 AM
jamesdak 

More of the stripes

That fork, wow!

This old frameset transformed into one sweet looking ride!
Old 05-29-23, 09:31 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Yep, she's a looker!
​​​​​​​Boy, howdy!
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 05-29-23, 10:07 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Love the air foil shaped fork blades!
Old 07-11-23, 03:23 PM
jamesdak 

And the new wheels showed up today. Dropped almost 1.5 lbs swapping these on. Same tires and tubes so that gain was the wheels and the Dura Ace UG cassette.

Had some polished Velocity Fusion rims laced up to the 126mm Dura Ace hubset I had. The results are quite beautiful to my eyes. Tomorrow we'll see how they do on the road.

This is the look I wanted for this old beauty.

Rear setup

Front

Machined brake surfaces

This does not capture the almost mirror like finish of the rims.

Another beautiful set of handbuilts done by Peter Chisolm in Colorado.
Old 07-11-23, 09:56 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,554 Times in 1,410 Posts
Wow...that rear tire clearance!

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 07-11-23, 10:33 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Totally not drooling.

/looks for Superbe Pro groups again...
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 07-12-23, 05:39 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Wow...that rear tire clearance!
Yeah that baby is tucked in there tight. Probably why this one feels like it's supercharged when you get on it. It is a bit deceptive though as the seat tube is crimped to make room. There's actually around 5-6mm of space between the tire and the frame. Like I can run the head of Q-tip through there without really touching tire or the seat tube. Went with one of the larger 700 x 23 tires with narrow rims to maintain some clearance. 700 x 25 on wide modern rims was just not happening.

Old 07-12-23, 06:13 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
It's great to see a classic road bike set up properly. This could easily be a show bike. Love all the proper cable lengths--no big looping brake cables, fore or aft--just nice, smooth curves. Appropriate-length exposed cables, capped by color-matched caps. All cable adjusters screwed in to start. Color-matched details like the crank bolt dust caps, water bottle bolts and brake cable adjuster rings. All parts tastefully thought through. Putting thought into how the complete bike will look results in a bike as stunning as this. I'm taking away one point for the mis-matched hub QR bolts.

EDIT: I see now you swapped out the matching Dura Ace hubs--point reinstated. Now I want a set of those Velocity Fusion rims.

But the rest of the bike should be "Exhibit A" on how to properly set up a classic road bike.

Props also to the photography and bike pose--valves up, tire labels centered over them; horizontal crank.

Take a well-deserved bow.

Last edited by smd4; 07-12-23 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-12-23, 06:41 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by smd4
It's great to see a classic road bike set up properly. This could easily be a show bike. Love all the proper cable lengths--no big looping brake cables, fore or aft--just nice, smooth curves. Appropriate-length exposed cables, capped by color-matched caps. All cable adjusters screwed in to start. Color-matched details like the crank bolt dust caps, water bottle bolts and brake cable adjuster rings. All parts tastefully thought through. Putting thought into how the complete bike will look results in a bike as stunning as this. I'm taking away one point for the mis-matched hub QR bolts.

EDIT: I see now you swapped out the matching Dura Ace hubs--point reinstated. Now I want a set of those Velocity Fusion rims.

But the rest of the bike should be "Exhibit A" on how to properly set up a classic road bike.

Props also to the photography and bike pose--valves up, tire labels centered over them; horizontal crank.

Take a well-deserved bow.
LOL, I found the match for the one Campagnolo skewer but with the wrong end on it. Need to check the other bikes to see if I do have a proper match. I'm also getting ready to look for some kind of highly polished set of skewers that would look right on this. I couldn't find mint Suntour hubs to use for the wheel build that weren't crazy much considering I have the mint Dura Ace one's on hand. Tires mounted easily on the new rims even with the thick classic style rim tape I used on them.

More importantly this one will get it's first full ride on my base daily course today. I've had it out twice or short shake down rides but now it's time to see what this beauty can really do out on the road.
Old 07-13-23, 03:02 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 998 Times in 525 Posts
That is beautiful!
Old 07-13-23, 06:26 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
I think you absolutely nailed that one, love those wheels!
Tim
Old 03-09-24, 01:13 PM
jamesdak 

Just a slight update.

Put on NOS Suntour chainrings, red anodized steel chainring bolts, and then found the perfect frame pump for this one. A Silca Impero with the Krapf logo in gold on it.

Old 03-09-24, 01:49 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Nice score on the pump!