Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1977 Paramount - #2 Restoration for me begins...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1977 Paramount - #2 Restoration for me begins...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-24, 01:32 PM
SharpByCoop 
My Workshop = Happy Place

Bikes: Schwinns, and many others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 56 Posts
Progress report:

Removing ALL the parts and soaking them in a gallon of Evaporust, and then cleaning and lubing them is gratifying and worthy. Everything cleaned up really fine. See below.

I purchased through eBay the campagnolo cable ends holder and a pair of crank pin covers. Both were new. Next I need to replace scratched pedal caps. Available, I am seeing. Thank goodness for online suppliers!

This is easy. Cleaning tarnish reveals good parts!

Regarding the older Brooks seat: Your suggestions were valid. Thanks also to merziac for his guidance and tips.

I cleaned the leather spots, used a light tarnish acid on the rivets and then applied a few coats of the shoe leather polish. Looks terrific.

I also cleaned and derusted the underside. I sprayed the under leather with Pledge furniture polish. It worked. So sue me!

Note the steering stem. The original way I got it was with that long stem bolt sticking WAYYY up. I don't think it's original?

So I drilled the bore 13mm to a depth of the head. Looks like a Cinelli now!

I have rims and hubs and a frame which needs wash and polish.

I need to order tires. I don't want to get inexpensive Kendas (which I have happily replaced on a BUNCH of others, but they are bottom-of-the-barrel tires.)

If I see a gumwall I like I might be persuaded. Suggestions?

Thanks for viewing.
Likes For SharpByCoop:
Old 03-03-24, 01:51 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
@SharpByCoop

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/search/27in-road-tires

Gatorskins are my go to, many here abhor them, several Panaracer's to be had as well.
Old 03-03-24, 02:00 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

@SharpByCoop,

Was the saddle carriage not chrome, a facsimile or just too corroded?

Black is one of my current pet peeves, most all used to be chrome, now most are black, no bueno for me.

The top and all look great from here, I would encourage you to use oldschool paste wax like Kiwi as well, maybe alternate and remember black shorts likely from here on out.
Old 03-03-24, 02:29 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
IMO, Rene Herse are the best clinchers out there now. Very supple/comfortable. But not cheap..
Old 03-03-24, 06:28 PM
SharpByCoop 

merziac ehcoplex Thanks for the feedback. The Biketiresdirect link is very useful. I'm hedging toward the continental Super Sports just to mix it up. Has a touch more tread for wet roads?

I do have Gatorskins on two other bikes, with no complaints, including my OTHER Paramount. Those Rene Herse ones are above my pay scale.

Regarding seat origins: It came with black rails. And... it looks 45 years old.

But I am aware these were supposed to come with chrome rails if you ordered that Brooks option. This will HAVE to do.

The rear Brooks badge is wiped clean. I need to contact them to see if I can acquire a new badge? Is this a thing?

Black pants are my standard, especially now. I have a good clear leather wax (mink oil?)

I took apart those derailleur jockey wheels and cleaned and greased them in my servicing.
Old 03-03-24, 07:27 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
merziac ehcoplex Thanks for the feedback. The Biketiresdirect link is very useful. I'm hedging toward the continental Super Sports just to mix it up. Has a touch more tread for wet roads?

I do have Gatorskins on two other bikes, with no complaints, including my OTHER Paramount. Those Rene Herse ones are above my pay scale.

Regarding seat origins: It came with black rails. And... it looks 45 years old.

But I am aware these were supposed to come with chrome rails if you ordered that Brooks option. This will HAVE to do.

The rear Brooks badge is wiped clean. I need to contact them to see if I can acquire a new badge? Is this a thing?

Black pants are my standard, especially now. I have a good clear leather wax (mink oil?)

I took apart those derailleur jockey wheels and cleaned and greased them in my servicing.
No seat badges to be had from Brooks that I know of, is there a # stamped in the cantle or underside of the leather?

Wasn't an option on Pro's as far as I know, every one I have has chrome rails, never seen one without and the new ones still come with them.

No experience with the SS's but more tread should be better on wet roads.
Old 03-03-24, 08:17 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
I'm just wondering if the Brooks saddle is actually a vintage B17 Narrow and not a Pro? Thus the reason for the holes in the top and the black cantle and rails. Can we see a picture of the side? From what I can see the imbossing is also different from a Pro.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 03-04-24, 02:13 AM
merziac

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I'm just wondering if the Brooks saddle is actually a vintage B17 Narrow and not a Pro? Thus the reason for the holes in the top and the black cantle and rails. Can we see a picture of the side? From what I can see the imbossing is also different from a Pro.
Maybe but it has the older style big rivets of a Pro, obviously not an open nose but even if it was a B17 Special with big rivets it would still have a copper rail carriage.

Something very hincky going on here, maybe the carriage has been replaced.
Old 03-04-24, 02:19 AM
merziac

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Yep, you're right about the logo embossing, it looks more like B-17 something, weird.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-04-24, 06:16 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by merziac
Maybe but it has the older style big rivets of a Pro, obviously not an open nose but even if it was a B17 Special with big rivets it would still have a copper rail carriage.

Something very hincky going on here, maybe the carriage has been replaced.
I have a B17 Special/Narrow stashed away someplace. If I can find it, I can check for whether it has black or chrome hardware. Possibly someone replaced the original rivets?

Old 03-04-24, 06:29 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Okay, my memory wasn't serving me very well in my above posts.

I was actually thinking about the B15 Special/Narrow that I owned, and not a B17 Special. I dug out this photo from my files comparing it to the B5N which I run on my P13.

Left: B5N, right: B15N

The B15N does have a similar embossing on the side, chrome hardware, but it has holes punched in the skirt.

Sorry about the poor focus.

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 03-04-24, 08:44 AM
SharpByCoop 

Not much to go one here. I am certain the carriage wasn't replaced. This is all-original seat, maybe not from this build?

I emailed Brooks with a photo and asked them if they can supply a badge. I'll report back.

Edit: Dear Jim

Thanks for getting in touch.
The Brooks logo plate is not available as spare part, unfortunately.
We are sorry for no better news!

Thank you and kind regards,

Laura
Brooks England Customer Service
www.brooksengland.com

Old 03-04-24, 01:03 PM
merziac

Not much to go one here. I am certain the carriage wasn't replaced. This is all-original seat, maybe not from this build?

I emailed Brooks with a photo and asked them if they can supply a badge. I'll report back.

Edit: Dear Jim

Thanks for getting in touch.
The Brooks logo plate is not available as spare part, unfortunately.
We are sorry for no better news!

Thank you and kind regards,

Laura
Brooks England Customer Service
www.brooksengland.com
Well we don't know much it seems, I have several Pro's so I will dig them out and see what I can.

The original spec was a Unica-Nitor with Brooks Pro for no extra cost.

https://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/SLD...77xlite03b.jpg
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-04-24, 02:26 PM
SharpByCoop 

pastorbobnlnh merziac Thank you both.

I'm simply going to hand paint the rails underneath and call it a day on this. I'm good. 95% better than it was!

Curious at best. I wonder why Brooks would NOT offer badges. It would appear that this fragile part would be needed often. It MAY have something to do with counterfeits? Hmmmmm.

I ordered the Conti Super Sports from Bike Tires Direct. Good deal. Thank you.

Starting frame cleaning tonight. I have paused on this but now it is TIME!

News and pics as I do.
Likes For SharpByCoop:
Old 03-04-24, 02:43 PM
merziac

pastorbobnlnh merziac Thank you both.

I'm simply going to hand paint the rails underneath and call it a day on this. I'm good. 95% better than it was!

Curious at best. I wonder why Brooks would NOT offer badges. It would appear that this fragile part would be needed often. It MAY have something to do with counterfeits? Hmmmmm.

I ordered the Conti Super Sports from Bike Tires Direct. Good deal. Thank you.

Starting frame cleaning tonight. I have paused on this but now it is TIME!

News and pics as I do.
You're welcome, anytime.

I would posit that Brooks may not want any ham fisted hacks changing the badge, without the right skill a Brooks could be ruined in a New York second, nobody wants that.

Its easy enough to print a reasonable facsimile but getting it stuck in place and be robust enough to last very long could be very challenging.

Very hard to say whats going on here, I dug out half a dozen Pro's and none are like this.

It may be a special that had a carriage replacement and got a black one, maybe.

Any number to found on cantle or underside?
Old 03-04-24, 04:03 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 981 Posts
@SharpByCoop I've got these campy pedal dust caps from Boulder Bicycle, they're excellent: https://boulderbicycle.bike/Found-Mo...ing-repro.html
Soma Sup[le Vitesse tires are a very nice tire at a much easier price point than RH (which I love and have on half my bikes if not more): https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/som...attr=3482,4273

Likes For ascherer:
Old 03-04-24, 05:42 PM
SharpByCoop 

OK, I looked closer as you directed. Well.....

It DOES have a month date code: A-80. Early 1980 build? But bike is a 1977?

Also the rivets have a janky tooling mark around EACH one. Like someone other than Brooks slammed them in or shaped the seat side rivets with a support tool. See photo for clear example. Does yoor non-molested seats have these dig marks from Brooks?

I scraped off some of the black, yet it wasn't chrome underneath.

I WILL use it, yet it's not OEM Schwinn for sure.

Likes For SharpByCoop:
Old 03-04-24, 05:53 PM
SharpByCoop 

Originally Posted by ascherer
@SharpByCoop I've got these campy pedal dust caps from Boulder Bicycle, they're excellent: https://boulderbicycle.bike/Found-Mo...ing-repro.html
Soma Sup[le Vitesse tires are a very nice tire at a much easier price point than RH (which I love and have on half my bikes if not more): [url=https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/soma-tire-supple-vitesse-ex-700c-kv-2598?page=2&category=984#attr=3482,4273]https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/soma-tire-supple-vitesse-ex-700c-kv-2598?page=2&category=984#attr=3482,4273
Thanks for this. Saved. I appreciate the lookout! There is a PAIR of similar(?) on eBay for $39 shipped from Italy. I may look there....

EDIT: $35 for a PAIR shipped today from MN USA. I ordered them. Thanks for the prompting. (Boulder was $22 each and then shipping.)

The Vitesse tires are 700c. Mine are 27" Not the same as you know.

I already got Continental Super Sports 27x1 1/8" on the way. (I chose the smaller 1 1/8" over the available 1 1/4" to give it a *little* more racy feel.)

Thank you.

Last edited by SharpByCoop; 03-04-24 at 06:00 PM.
Likes For SharpByCoop:
Old 03-04-24, 06:27 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Check with rhm for a Brooks replacement badge. He makes new saddles using old cantles and rails. Maybe he has saved a few old badges and is willing to sell you one?

I can't spot the model # in the embossing on your old Brooks. I also noticed the workmanship on the underside of the rivets and was guessing someone replaced the original ones.

Old 03-04-24, 08:51 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 981 Posts
The Vitesse tires are 700c. Mine are 27" Not the same as you know.
True. I forgot you're using 27".

Old 03-05-24, 09:24 AM
SharpByCoop 

Cleaning progress report. This paint ALONE was probably the cost of my purchase!

I plan on finishing this for the Philly Bike Expo in three weeks. Will ride it from there!
Likes For SharpByCoop:
Old 03-21-24, 09:29 PM
SharpByCoop 

Finished and photographed!

OK, so this took me a while to complete, as anything worthy does.

My theme is Yellow, Silver, Grey, and Black. The color is SO bold it needs to be tamed with neutrals.

Heres what I did:
  • Full disassembly, of ALL components.
  • Degrease drivetrain stuff and chain.
  • Evaporust metal parts - wash in soapy water
  • Polish many aluminum parts.
  • Wash bare frame.
  • Polish rims and spokes. True them as well.
  • New Conti tires. Metal stem caps.
  • Repack all wheel bearings, steering heads, and the bottom bracket.
  • Recondition Brooks seat. Repaint underside mounts.
  • Refinish seat stem (deep spiral scratches).
  • New Bauman black cloth cushioned h/bar tape. (NEED to purchase TWO rolls. Bastards.)
  • New 'Paramount' grey outer cables and fresh metal cables.
  • Added Schwinn Twin-Stik shifters and Campagnolo downtube cable clamp. Works terrific!
  • Found Paramount branded bottle cage on eBay.
  • Found NEW replacement Campy pedal end caps and crank end caps.
  • Careful reassembly and fitment.
  • Dinged my paint right at the steering stem. I allowed it to pivot around and didn't see the brake bracket. Aaaarrgghhh. (Touched up on RH side. Look for it.)
Gave it a 2 mile test ride before photos. Perfection. I'll give it a longer go very soon.

Photos: I spent 90 mins in my basement workshop/studio. Then editing. I can't help myself. Worth it.

Tapped 2/56 SS buttonhead screws for badge. It was glued on before.

Drilled and Recessed the steering head bolt into the stem. it was up about 1cm.

Campy rims and hubs.

Seat refinish looks so much better.

Campagnolo pedals and stirrups.

Absolutely stunning paint from Waterford!

Thanks for watching. Like you, I am addicted to doing this stuff. Not a bad thing.

Coop

Last edited by SharpByCoop; 03-21-24 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Updates.
Old 03-22-24, 12:08 PM
merziac

Beautiful!

Very nice, this would appear to be more of a screamin yellow, almost candy if you will from here to me.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-25-24, 08:16 PM
SharpByCoop 

Test ride!

A final salute as I ride into the sun....

Took a short one-hour ride around town this afternoon. It exceeded expectations. What a privilege to experience.

Made some derailleur adjustments and brake centering. Perfecto.

I'll tell you, the convenience of those janky Twin-Stik levers MORE THAN make up for the pedestrian look. To me.

Thanks for your interest.

Coop

Likes For SharpByCoop:
Old 03-25-24, 08:31 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 331 Posts
Gorgeous! And stem shifters are due for a comeback.
Likes For albrt:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.