Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Yard sales? Flea markets?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Yard sales? Flea markets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-24, 08:02 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by 13ollocks
I dunno Man, one minute you could be haggling over a bike, and the next thing you know, you're at the bottom of a well and there's some lycra-clad lunatic screaming down at you "It shaves its legs and applies the sunscreen.....or it gets the hose!!!!"
You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find a proper well these days
Old 03-29-24, 08:52 AM
rdf37

Bikes: GT Grade Carbon Elite, Draft Single Speed, Torker Fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 20 Posts
I have always found that they are hit and miss, all of them. However, early in the spring and late in the fall is when I find more consistent better deals with those places. People are cleaning out their garages, basement, and attics during those times. To add to that, there is a nationwide garage sale called Rt 40 garage sale weekend. The whole highway as long as it is is lined with yard sales. It covers several states and another one called 127 that covers the whole highway nation wide. It just so happened that I used to live on 127 in my home town and I was only 6 miles from route 40. Killer deals during those times. If you live in America, you have to check them out. Unbelievable deals when you find bikes and parts.
rfd37

Last edited by rdf37; 04-02-24 at 05:19 AM.
Old 03-29-24, 10:34 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
If you enjoy telling stories and hearing them, it's a good pastime. I know the cookie jar, doll ladies, vintage stereo, computer, records, musical instruments, camera guys. I see them and they give me leads. Not that I need more bikes...
Old 03-30-24, 04:24 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 413 Posts
I once got a minty Schwinn 5 speed cruiser at a garage sale. The bike wasn’t even in the garage, I just randomly asked the homeowner if he had any bikes, and the Schwinn was in the back yard. He let me have it for $100.
Old 03-30-24, 08:01 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
We have had success finding kids bikes, or old adult bikes that we fix up and donate.

But I am still looking for that elusive "Cinelli with a flat tire" and will continue to do so.
Old 03-30-24, 05:17 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
The best deals are at Divorce Sales.

I get the BEST deals through others' intense emotions.
Old 03-31-24, 10:21 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
I rarely stop at garage sales or flea markets, but I do have a favorite thrift store that I frequently hit (honestly, the place is a friggin' gold mine!) I've gotten several lower end OEM saddles (Bontrager, etc) that have come in handy, and I recently got a nice set of Giro gloves, new with tags, for 1.99 !! There was a Specialized floor pump recently for about $8, but I figured I didn't need a third pump,and passed (and now regret it). Also snagged a couple water bottles, just as spares, and about 4 decent helmets, in new,or near new condition. Now that I think back, I've also gotten about 5 pair of good cycling shorts, both road and mountain (everything from Canari up to Pearl Izumi), but I haven't seen any shorts in a couple years now. There was a brand new pair of high end SIDI road shoes few months ago, but about a size too small, and like an idiot, I passed, when I could have put them on ebay for a slam-dunk $100.

Last edited by Brocephus; 03-31-24 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-01-24, 12:33 PM
RoadWearier

Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
I rarely stop at garage sales or flea markets, but I do have a favorite thrift store that I frequently hit (honestly, the place is a friggin' gold mine!) I've gotten several lower end OEM saddles (Bontrager, etc) that have come in handy, and I recently got a nice set of Giro gloves, new with tags, for 1.99 !! There was a Specialized floor pump recently for about $8, but I figured I didn't need a third pump,and passed (and now regret it). Also snagged a couple water bottles, just as spares, and about 4 decent helmets, in new,or near new condition. Now that I think back, I've also gotten about 5 pair of good cycling shorts, both road and mountain (everything from Canari up to Pearl Izumi), but I haven't seen any shorts in a couple years now. There was a brand new pair of high end SIDI road shoes few months ago, but about a size too small, and like an idiot, I passed, when I could have put them on ebay for a slam-dunk $100.
...and I thought I was the cheapest one on this board, but geez! Used water bottles and used bike shorts? I have bought used blazers and jeans but bike shorts are just a little too close to other people's sweaty privates for me. Same with water bottles.
Old 04-01-24, 04:24 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
...and I thought I was the cheapest one on this board, but geez! Used water bottles and used bike shorts? I have bought used blazers and jeans but bike shorts are just a little too close to other people's sweaty privates for me. Same with water bottles.
the water bottles appeared new and unused, and as i said, i just picked them up for spares, and still haven't used them.The shorts were clean and low miles, and after a run through the washing machine and an afternoon hanging on the line in the sun and the breeze.......who cares ? After that, it's all about ego and psychological hang-ups, doesn't phase me at all.
BTW, just shooting the breeze here, no offense intended, not looking for a flame war.

Last edited by Brocephus; 04-01-24 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-02-24, 03:31 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
bike shorts are just a little too close to other people's sweaty privates for me. Same with water bottles.
My water bottles never get anywhere near my sweaty privates.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 04-02-24, 08:36 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Originally Posted by Chuck M
My water bottles never get anywhere near my sweaty privates.
Got me thinking someone might be using the seat post/saddle rail mount.
Old 04-04-24, 08:41 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
There's nothing wrong with properly washed water bottles.

I disasemble them as much as I can, then overnite soak them with some bleach and dish soap.

What do you think goes in your mouths when you are using fancy utensils having that complimentary breakfast at the Holiday Inn Express?
Likes For soyabean:
Old 04-04-24, 12:11 PM
Steel Charlie

Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean

I disasemble them as much as I can, then overnite soak them with some bleach and dish soap.

What do you think goes in your mouths when you are using fancy utensils having that complimentary breakfast at the Holiday Inn Express?
++1 Really! Have you ever eaten in a restaurant or slept in a motel bed? Used a public restroom? HAHAHAHA

Last edited by Steel Charlie; 04-05-24 at 08:23 AM.
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 04-05-24, 08:29 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by soyabean

Hey that's fine. I've got some used condoms and some used underwear you can buy from me cheap. They'll be just fine if you wash'em real good.
Old 04-05-24, 08:32 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
++1 Really! Have you ever eaten in a restaurant or slept in a motel bed? Used a public restroom? HAHAHAHA
You can share the used condoms and used undies with the other guy. Just wash em. They'll be fine.
Hahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha.
​​​
Old 04-05-24, 09:43 PM
curbtender

Really not a big deal. You'd probably have more coodies on a used Brooks saddle.