Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Off your bike due to illness or injury - Mentally devastated

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Off your bike due to illness or injury - Mentally devastated

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-24, 07:24 AM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.3 DS, 2022 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
Damn, hope his insurance had to cough up everything.

I encountered almost same thing but just busted up my knee and ankle.
I live in PA and unless an accident is between cars you have to get a lawyer and sue the driver who hit you. Insurance companies don’t handle car vs pedestrian or car vs cyclist.

Luckily, the driver had good insurance and my lawyer was able to get a really good settlement from them. It covered all of my losses (the new bike and all of clothes that were ruined when the emergency docs were working on me) the subrogation lien from my health insurance and all of my out-of-pocket medical bills with quite a lot leftover.

I’m not sure if it’s against any rules here, but the lawyer was from Metzger/Wickersham, a prominent firm here in South Central PA. They did an excellent job!
Likes For DirePenguin:
Old 03-29-24, 08:36 AM
rdf37

Bikes: GT Grade Carbon Elite, Draft Single Speed, Torker Fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 20 Posts
There is hope! After 8 years off bike. I am on 2 wheels again. But friend… it is different now.
I have a total of 9 levels fused with plates, rods and screws throughout my spine, a neurostimulator implant , 10 screws and 2 rods in my left leg and ankle, 1 finger on left hand that is now a half inch shorter because of a table saw and continuous changes becaus of spine disease I have….i said all that not to get pity or attaboys. I said it to let you know that my love for cycling never goes away, and in spite of the long time not riding, I finally am able to get on bike with the same love I had for it as a kid. Patience has never been my strongpoint but what has been my strongpoint is my “fight” attightude. The biggest thing I and most likely you have to understand is the limitation we have and how many of them we can overcome in a healthy and productive way. I actually just took my first ride march 28 2024. First time since 2015 accident. I was truly terrified, so my ride was affected and because of my slow ride I enjoyed it even more as I took in the scenery. Just be patient and at some point, you will enjoy again.
rdf37
Likes For rdf37:
Old 03-29-24, 09:25 AM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by DirePenguin
I live in PA and unless an accident is between cars you have to get a lawyer and sue the driver who hit you. Insurance companies don’t handle car vs pedestrian or car vs cyclist.

Luckily, the driver had good insurance and my lawyer was able to get a really good settlement from them. It covered all of my losses (the new bike and all of clothes that were ruined when the emergency docs were working on me) the subrogation lien from my health insurance and all of my out-of-pocket medical bills with quite a lot leftover.

I’m not sure if it’s against any rules here, but the lawyer was from Metzger/Wickersham, a prominent firm here in South Central PA. They did an excellent job!
Slightly different for us in Ontario, Canada. If a vehicle hit me and I had vehicle insurance I would claim under my policy’s accident benefits. If I didn’t have any insurance then I would claim under that driver’s accident benefits, assuming you were able to ID the driver. Never filed a claim before so don’t know the entire process.