Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trek Domane DT Door Handle Came Off

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-24, 08:08 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts

Anyone have a solution to remove the DT door if the handle came off. I had the pin come loose once before and glued it in place just noticed mine was loose. The handle came off. The door is a little loose.

Edit. Got it out. Used a 2mm Allen to manipulate the latch wing rotating it a little ccw the slide around to release it. The pin did slide out. I had applied a dab of glue to one side. Not both.

now for a better fix.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 03-28-24 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-28-24, 10:15 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Send the Trek CEO an email. He’s very responsive and this is clearly a design or manufacturing defect.

I don’t remember his email address offhand, but it’s easy to find.
Likes For PromptCritical:
Old 03-29-24, 04:45 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
You can buy a replacement cover. Get the correct one for your bike's year.
Old 03-29-24, 07:33 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Originally Posted by BTinNYC
You can buy a replacement cover. Get the correct one for your bike's year.
Cover is in good shape. The slippery chrome plated pin just slid out. I reinstalled and used a better glue on the ends. This happened before but the pin came out just enough to limit rotation of the handle.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 03-29-24 at 03:27 PM.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 03-29-24, 10:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Trek does offer a lifetime warranty on their frames for the original purchaser you might go down to either your local Trek dealer or one of their corporate stores and see if they can help out with a replacement. Obviously you have fixed it for now but getting something new couldn't hurt to have a back up.
Old 03-30-24, 01:29 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Cover is in good shape. The slippery chrome plated pin just slid out. I reinstalled and used a better glue on the ends. This happened before but the pin came out just enough to limit rotation of the handle.
I don't know the design, but if just a simple straight pin, sounds like an application for a roll pin, a hollow pin made from steel rolled into a cylinder, with a slot running down it; It's designed for a press fit in a hole, the hollow nature and slot allows it to compress like a spring, keeping it tight. Only for low-load applications.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 03-30-24, 08:36 AM
biker128pedal

Originally Posted by Duragrouch
I don't know the design, but if just a simple straight pin, sounds like an application for a roll pin, a hollow pin made from steel rolled into a cylinder, with a slot running down it; It's designed for a press fit in a hole, the hollow nature and slot allows it to compress like a spring, keeping it tight. Only for low-load applications.
Thought about that. They should have used a tension pin. Would have saves may be 0.001 cents per bike. I was too lazy and it was late at night to drive to the store to get a pin if they have the correct size. Could be metric. And wanted to ride the next day early.