Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wildlife Interactions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wildlife Interactions

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-23, 08:06 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18441 Post(s)
Liked 15,619 Times in 7,352 Posts
Snapping turtle laying eggs a little ways out of Westhampton, MA in 2018.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-09-23, 08:08 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1534 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 920 Posts
Most of my wildlife encounters are with roadkill, largely raccoons and skunk bits, with an occasional feral cat or large bird.

One of my favorite wildlife sighting was years ago; made me wish I had a camera. Early one morning, nearing dawn, I was riding past a misty green pasture, and saw a skunk ambling through the dewy grass. With the steep forested hills as a backdrop it was actually quite a beautiful scene.

My most perplexing encounter was riding through the Arcata Marsh even earlier one morning, when it was still pretty dark, and coming across a thundering herd of baby banana slugs slo-mo stampeding across the trail, must've been over a hundred strong. To their doom, I think, because they were headed toward a pond full of ducks getting ready to wake up. Much too dark for pics, unfortunately.
Likes For Korina:
Old 08-09-23, 10:03 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by spyderjohnson
Tell us your stories!
Last December I was riding in a park area near my house in Bangkok. My friend was riding in front of me and I was maybe 2-3 metres behind him. He startled this water monitor lizard and it turned and started running across the path back to the water. Unfortunately it ran right across me and I ran right over it. I thought me and the bike were both going down but I managed to keep the bike upright. Their bodies are extremely hard, like a moving speed bump. Below are a couple of photos of the lizard I ran over. I might add I have ridden over countless snakes, mainly boa's and python's, many times on my mountain bike off in the forest areas and also near farming areas in Thailand.

Last edited by SpeedyBlueBiker; 08-09-23 at 10:08 PM.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 08-09-23, 10:35 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2598 Post(s)
Liked 5,679 Times in 2,931 Posts
There are currently two Osprey nests nearby both with two chicks. When the parents fly in with fresh meat, the chicks go crazy screaming for their share. It’s quite the sight.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-10-23, 03:23 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by rsbob
There are currently two Osprey nests nearby both with two chicks. When the parents fly in with fresh meat, the chicks go crazy screaming for their share. It’s quite the sight.

Shot this while driving through a tidal area in southern NJ earlier this year. Two chicks being fed.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-10-23, 04:47 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,595 Times in 2,350 Posts
I like Osprey but was lucky to come across another bird of prey, while out on foot this Spring

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-10-23, 05:14 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
Last December I was riding in a park area near my house in Bangkok. My friend was riding in front of me and I was maybe 2-3 metres behind him. He startled this water monitor lizard and it turned and started running across the path back to the water. Unfortunately it ran right across me and I ran right over it. I thought me and the bike were both going down but I managed to keep the bike upright. Their bodies are extremely hard, like a moving speed bump. Below are a couple of photos of the lizard I ran over. I might add I have ridden over countless snakes, mainly boa's and python's, many times on my mountain bike off in the forest areas and also near farming areas in Thailand.

Only in Thailand
Likes For Jumpski:
Old 08-10-23, 09:50 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 939 Times in 450 Posts
Saw this guy while riding in Saguaro National Park. Not threatening, but I could tell he didn't like me.

Gila Monster
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 08-10-23, 10:26 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,759 Times in 1,021 Posts
I've seen, 6 to 8 foot snakes sunning themselves on the mup, wild turkeys, wild rabbits, hogs, suicide squirrels, eagles, alligators, buffalo, but the weirdest thing I come across was some Texas Longhorn cattle that a farmer has on his land near the rail trail. Someone left a fence open and about 30 of them decided the grass on the other side looked better and there were 4 or 5 young near the trail and the mothers were not happy with the bikes or hikers with dogs. Finally the farmer came out and rounded them back into the correct field and locked the gate. Don't see a lot of the longhorns here in Florida.

Old 08-10-23, 11:16 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 1,638 Times in 1,052 Posts
Long story, 10 years ago 2013 near collision changed my life. I am still ridding but certainly not the same.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ga-chromo.html
Old 08-11-23, 05:40 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Jeez, way too many to count, and I live in suburbia. People out in the country must have even more encounters.

One funny one: on a regular ride one fall I was riding past the same flock of turkeys for a few consecutive days (3-4?) - I guess they were on a schedule, like me - I would gobble at them and the Tom (I'm guessing) would gobble back.

He didn't sound amused.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 08-11-23, 06:43 AM
indyfabz

BLM land somewhere between Melrose and Twin Bridges, MT. 2001.

Wind Cave National Park in SD. 2015.

Custer State Park, SD. 2015.

Yaak, MT 2017.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-11-23, 07:04 AM
indyfabz

Western yellow-bellied racer. Edgemeont, SD. 2015

Hunterdon County, NJ.

U.S. 20, somewhere in the Berkshires. 2016.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-11-23, 05:44 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by zandoval
Long story, 10 years ago 2013 near collision changed my life. I am still ridding but certainly not the same.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ga-chromo.html
That’s one hell of a story and recovery. It’s good to hear you are still with us and still at it.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-11-23, 05:57 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Two days ago my wife was riding in farm country when she spotted a bald eagle close over head. The eagle suddenly banked and swooped down in her direction and crossed directly in front of her. Her estimate was he crossed with a 15’ margin, as he extended his talons and then caught a small creature on the side of the road and then went airborne without missing a beat. She was looking right at his eye and beak as he crossed with wings extended. She had to stop and collect herself before continuing.

Old 08-11-23, 06:52 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,595 Times in 2,350 Posts
rsbob

sounds magnificent. did she remark about it's size? I love how they are making a comeback
Old 08-11-23, 08:09 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by rsbob
Two days ago my wife was riding in farm country when she spotted a bald eagle close over head. The eagle suddenly banked and swooped down in her direction and crossed directly in front of her. Her estimate was he crossed with a 15’ margin, as he extended his talons and then caught a small creature on the side of the road and then went airborne without missing a beat. She was looking right at his eye and beak as he crossed with wings extended. She had to stop and collect herself before continuing.
Tres cool. Wild Kingdom stuff right there.

I saw an osprey snag a fish out of Ross Lake at Colonial Creek Campground on WA 20.

During a cross-PA tour, I saw an owl pounce on a chipmunk about 15’ away from me as I was sitting at my picnic table. Heard him make his last few earthly squeaks.
Old 08-12-23, 06:31 AM
spinconn

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts

Likes For spinconn:
Old 08-12-23, 06:49 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by spinconn
Gives new meaning to the name Gatorskins.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-12-23, 06:58 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 787 Posts
Nothing too dramatic here. I did encounter a "suicide squirrel" one time. It kept darting across the road, reversing direction, apparently in an attempt to commit "suicide by bicycle tire". Fortunately, I missed it by aiming right at it.
On a MUP last summer, riders coming in the other direction shouted "Watch out for the snake." About 30 yards more, and there it was - a very large Copperhead crossing the path. Beautiful creatures, but not very friendly. I gave it a wide berth.
And then there was this:

Old 08-12-23, 09:41 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 1,638 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
...I did encounter a "suicide squirrel" one time. It kept darting across the road, reversing direction, apparently in an attempt to commit "suicide by bicycle tire".
Yep... Unpredictable little buggers... I once saw a squirrel trip up an old lady using a walker over at the park. Luckily she fell in the grass and her family helped her up without injury. What was really hilarious to us all was she cussed with her deep Texas accent... "You ungrateful bastard!"

Squirrelacide!

But on another note, marinated, barbecued, Texas Squirrel, in October is pretty tasty. I am positive that old lady had more then a few servings in her life... Ha
Old 08-12-23, 11:25 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10455 Post(s)
Liked 11,945 Times in 6,114 Posts
Mostly, I see squirrels (tree and ground types), deer, turkeys, even coyotes near the road, not in it. But sometimes, crossing right in front of me. This spooks me, because I seem to have a penchant for hitting deer. Three times, three separate incidents, luckily always in a car, so the deer get much the worst of it. But if we were bike vs deer, that would not go so well for me. This year I've had 3 near misses with coyotes, after 25+ years of riding the same roads without ever encountering one on the road. All 3 times, they were very intent on something other than me as they crossed.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-12-23, 11:35 AM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 78 Posts
Black bear at start of Heritage Rail Trail in Orange County, NY (1.5 hour north of NYC). I just posted this in the Bear thread.

I've seen 2 of them on this trail. Also had one run across the path 20' in front of us in nearby Harriman State Park a couple years ago.

2 weeks ago also had a BB cub run across the road in front of us circling Ashokan reservoir in the Catskills.

Likes For MaxKatt:
Old 08-12-23, 11:37 AM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 78 Posts
This was on the "Ice Cream Ride" in Lancaster, PA a few years ago. Bicycling magazine did a profile calling it one of the best rides in America or something. It was pretty good. Unfortunately, the last time we did it a large portion of the road was converted to crushed gravel. Haven't done it since.

Likes For MaxKatt:
Old 08-12-23, 12:26 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by MaxKatt
Black bear at start of Heritage Rail Trail in Orange County, NY (1.5 hour north of NYC). I just posted this in the Bear thread.

I've seen 2 of them on this trail. Also had one run across the path 20' in front of us in nearby Harriman State Park a couple years ago.

2 weeks ago also had a BB cub run across the road in front of us circling Ashokan reservoir in the Catskills.

I have come through that area during tours a few times. Last time I was riding up there (2021), I stayed just north of Cuddebackville.

A friend of mine saw this bugger on the Harlem Valley Trail near Taconic State Park the day I camped there.

Likes For indyfabz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.