Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Saving money on electrolyte replacements while on tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Saving money on electrolyte replacements while on tour

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-10, 03:22 PM
Steve0000

Bikes: LHT disc, Cannondale CAAD8, Cannondale Super 6, Avanti Agressor MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
When we first started touring about 10 years ago, we carried sachets of powder or divided a container of it into small ziplock bags. Nowadays, I just drink water and don't feel there is much, if any, difference to my performance. I still drink the mix when racing or training on my racing bike but don't feel the need on tours.
Old 08-15-10, 04:23 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by SBRDude
I'll have to look into those Hammer electrolyte pills - that would save a lot of storage space!
They are good ... a lot of long distance cyclists swear by them. When I ride on hot days, I find I get a bit nauseated ... I take an electrolyte pill, and it seems to settle my stomach very shortly after. They are much better than relying on a sports drink to provide you with electrolytes and they are light and hardly take up any room. You could get away with water in your bottles, a bit of food in your bags, and electrolyte tablets ... and not have to worry about bringing sports drinks at all.

Originally Posted by drmweaver2
The malodextrose, HalfSalt and something else someone mentioned were what I was referring to. Not having blood pressure or diabetic problems, I've never looked at salt or sugar alternatives. Obviously, I am pretty comfortable with Gatorade and what it does for me - minus the exorbitant cost at convenience stores.
I don't have blood pressure or diabetic problems either. As I got into cycling more and more, I became curious about what might be available in my local grocery store to provide me with some variety from the usual energy bars. I also became curious about the nutritional content of foods. So I spent some time really looking at what was on the shelves of my local grocery store. I also listened with interest to what other cyclists use, and Rowan was the first one who brought the maltodextrin mix idea to my attention. I headed to my local wine making place to pick up maltodextrin, and to my grocery store to get the rest of the ingredients. If I use that, I tend to use a simplified version of the recipe he gave me.

In any case, I am interested in what others do - carry/mix powder or spend money on bottled drinks?
No, I don't believe I have ever carried a drink powder on a tour. I use a lot of plain water, and pick up the occasional bottled drink (orange juice, coke, orangina, etc.) from grocery stores along the way.

And for electrolytes on longer tours, I bring a small bottle of multi-vitamins complete with minerals which I replenish at a grocery store along the way if the tour is particularly long. I bring a small bottle of electrolyte pills to use on hot days. And I eat foods which I know are high in the main electrolytes.

One other thing about carrying a drink powder ... most of my tours are in a country other than my own and involve a flight and customs/immigration etc. There are rules and restrictions regarding bringing foods into other countries, and I prefer flying in as simply as possible, and then picking up what I need when I arrive ... rather than having to worry about declaring my food etc.. Also, with the tightening of the weight restrictions on baggage, 2 lbs can make or break whether I pay $50 for the bicycle or $175 for overweight luggage. I prefer to travel as light as possible ... and then look for what I need in terms of nutrition once I arrive.

If you opt to tour from home, you may pack differently than those of us who travel some distance to start our tours.

Last edited by Machka; 08-15-10 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-15-10, 05:01 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I remember citing a paper to a professor of mine in surgical training years ago. Charlie he said, at least 50 % of the science a person read is bull****. Most of these articles are crap. Absorbtion of water is not enhanced by glucose or sodium. We need fluid, no one is arguing that, and we need food, no one is arguing that. When we eat fruit , carbs or any other food source we are taking in the electrolytes we need. Keep it simple and keep it real. Having said all that I do sometimes take a bottle of some gatorade equivalent on a long ride with a bottle of water. For calories I take a bag of raisins. Why? Because I like them.
Old 08-15-10, 08:48 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Keep it simple and keep it real. Having said all that I do sometimes take a bottle of some gatorade equivalent on a long ride with a bottle of water. For calories I take a bag of raisins. Why? Because I like them.
Raisins are a decent choice for potassium consumption ... one loosely packed cup of them has 31% of your daily potassium requirement. That's quite high. They've also got a decent amount of other vitamins and minerals. Have them with something salty, and you'll have your electrolytes.
https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...-juices/2050/2
Old 08-15-10, 09:40 PM
NoReg
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
"I like Gatorade so I drink Gatorade. Why would that bother anyone? "

Doesn't bother me, but it isn't much of a recomendation either. Might as well be vodka. Next time I am cycling at training camp in Florida, I will definetly look into this stuff.
Old 08-15-10, 09:45 PM
NoReg
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Best thing about raisins which my kids just loved when they were little is that the turks were lacing them with lead powder as some kind of pesticide, and the Gov knew about it for 18 months before they rocked the boat at all. Easy for me to say, because we are entering the 2 weeks when we successfully provide our own food. Goodness knows what goes in our mouths the rest of the year.

I agree with surgeonstone. How many reputable labs are just dying to spend huge bucks studying gatorade claims, for the love of science...

While I know there are some people here, like Matchka, who are really serious about their riding, what is probably happening for most people is that they get out beyond the McDonalds for the first time in a while (if that is still possible), and before you know it, they are feeling a huge sugar, salt, and caffein deficit. Then they take some electrolyte replacement stuff just to get normal with their various addictions.

Last edited by NoReg; 08-15-10 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-16-10, 04:19 AM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Peterpan1
Best thing about raisins which my kids just loved when they were little is that the turks were lacing them with lead powder as some kind of pesticide, and the Gov knew about it for 18 months before they rocked the boat at all. Easy for me to say, because we are entering the 2 weeks when we successfully provide our own food. Goodness knows what goes in our mouths the rest of the year.

I agree with surgeonstone. How many reputable labs are just dying to spend huge bucks studying gatorade claims, for the love of science...

While I know there are some people here, like Matchka, who are really serious about their riding, what is probably happening for most people is that they get out beyond the McDonalds for the first time in a while (if that is still possible), and before you know it, they are feeling a huge sugar, salt, and caffein deficit. Then they take some electrolyte replacement stuff just to get normal with their various addictions.
Not really rockin' the whole humility thing are you? Careful, or you'll choke on all that piety.

Im thinking that even the most natural of diets isn't preparing one for sustained, heavy exertion during summer conditions. Sure, if you're wandering around the Savannah gagging on roots and berries, all is well. But, I ride hard in high heat and high humidity this time of year, and can sweat out wringing wet in just a short time.

All my "addictions" aside, I'm fairly sure that something needs replenishment down in the old muscle factories if I want to get back to the house. I prefer water by itself, though, so I add a half-strength quantity of electrolyte, just in case all those wicked Gatorade scientists are on to something.
Old 08-16-10, 05:16 AM
SBRDude
Godfather of Soul

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex, 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert,2008 Gary Fischer Hi Fi Carbon, 2002 Specialized S-Works hard tail, 1990 Kestrel KM 40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
They are good ... a lot of long distance cyclists swear by them. When I ride on hot days, I find I get a bit nauseated ... I take an electrolyte pill, and it seems to settle my stomach very shortly after.
I also can get quite nauseous after a long ride in the heat. I always tell people the feeling is like a hangover, but with tired legs.

Originally Posted by dahut
I'm fairly sure that something needs replenishment down in the old muscle factories if I want to get back to the house. I prefer water by itself, though, so I add a half-strength quantity of electrolyte, just in case all those wicked Gatorade scientists are on to something.
That's what kind of cracks me up about this "debate" - maybe energy drinks aren't that useful in many of the situations where they are consumed, but it certainly isn't going to hurt those who ride long distances to have a gatorade. I also have to wonder if the people who are so adamantly against them are equally diligent about everything else they consume.
Old 08-16-10, 05:33 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Just for reference purposes ... electrolytes in real food. Have a browse through and see what foods you might like to bring or find on a tour ...

Foods that are the highest in sodium, potassium, and calcium ...
https://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-...0000000-w.html

I'm sure we can all figure out what foods might be high in sodium, so here are the ones that are highest in potassium ...

Foods that are high in calcium ...

Foods that are high in magnesium ...

Here's an interesting choice ... pumpkin seeds! Loaded with magnesium, plus a bit of sodium and potassium, and a dash of calcium.
https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/3164/2

Dried apricots ... heaps of potassium, some magnesium, and a bit of calcium and sodium
https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...-juices/1836/2

Wendy's French Fries ... potassium, sodium, calcium, and magnesium!
https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...generic/9275/2

Potato chips ... overloaded with potassium, lots of sodium, magnesium, and even Vit C
https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/snacks/5627/2

Just to name a few choices in the lists.
Old 08-16-10, 05:51 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by SBRDude
That's what kind of cracks me up about this "debate" - maybe energy drinks aren't that useful in many of the situations where they are consumed, but it certainly isn't going to hurt those who ride long distances to have a gatorade. I also have to wonder if the people who are so adamantly against them are equally diligent about everything else they consume.
A single gatorade is probably not going to hurt a long distance cyclist ... several, on the other hand, may. My problem with gatorade is that gatorade contains simple sugars which, after consuming several gatorades on a long distance ride, give me mouth sores. The longer the ride and the more gatorade consumed, the bigger and badder the mouth sores. I switched to maltodextrin based sports drinks ... no more mouth sores. So yes, I am that diligent with everything I consume ... I diligently avoid foods that cause me pain and discomfort.

If a person likes gatorade, that's fine .................... but I've offered several options for "saving money on electrolyte replacements while on tour" (the title of this thread). Some interesting options for those would prefer not to drink gatorade too often.
Old 08-16-10, 08:13 AM
SBRDude
Godfather of Soul

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex, 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert,2008 Gary Fischer Hi Fi Carbon, 2002 Specialized S-Works hard tail, 1990 Kestrel KM 40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A single gatorade is probably not going to hurt a long distance cyclist ... several, on the other hand, may. My problem with gatorade is that gatorade contains simple sugars which, after consuming several gatorades on a long distance ride, give me mouth sores. The longer the ride and the more gatorade consumed, the bigger and badder the mouth sores. I switched to maltodextrin based sports drinks ... no more mouth sores. So yes, I am that diligent with everything I consume ... I diligently avoid foods that cause me pain and discomfort.

If a person likes gatorade, that's fine .................... but I've offered several options for "saving money on electrolyte replacements while on tour" (the title of this thread). Some interesting options for those would prefer not to drink gatorade too often.
FWIW, I tend to use the term gatorade generically when referring to sports drinks. Sloppy, I know... When I used to do triathlons, the mantra for longer races was to always make sure to use the type of sports drink provided by the race before the race in order to make sure your body didn't have any problems. None of that stuff ever bothered me one way or the other, so I guess I'm lucky. I will say, however, that after each Ironman race that I never wanted to see a banana or a sports drink again for a long, long time.
Old 08-16-10, 09:11 AM
Freewheeler

Bikes: 80's Marin, 90's Dawes, ALAN & various unicycles.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm just not as far along the evolutionary line as some riders, my body is so "stone age" it stores the things I need for exertion, I don't need anything more than a good diet & then plenty of water when I ride.

I've just come in from a 50km ride, this included a stretch of climbing over 1000m in 22kms, air temperature around 32c, I had nearly four bidons of plain water (mountain spring water on route), about 2 1/2 litres. No powder, energy bars, nothing else.

I feel fine, great in fact, I am now looking forward to eating a nice meal.

I wonder where it's all heading? Maybe plants would benefit from something "better" than water?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vw2CrY9Igs

Anyone tried "Brawndo"?
Old 08-16-10, 09:13 AM
azesty
Hot in China

Bikes: Giant Lava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My problem with gatorade is that gatorade contains simple sugars which, after consuming several gatorades on a long distance ride, give me mouth sores. The longer the ride and the more gatorade consumed, the bigger and badder the mouth sores.
I find that the easiest way to get rid of mouth sores is to rince with a strong salt solution, a rounded teaspoon in 1/3 of a cup of water. Do it in two goes, take 1/6, quick rince and spit, then a longer rince with the remaining 1/6.

It seems that any bacterica I get from sugared stuff that cause mouth sores are not halotolerant.

z
Old 08-16-10, 09:15 AM
NoReg
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
"Not really rockin' the whole humility thing are you? Careful, or you'll choke on all that piety."

I don't know where you get that. I probably had the triffecta of cravings until I was recently put on a low everything diet. It's just a reality. People get weekend headaches when they are away from the office coffee pump. They go from one etreme of exercise and diet to another on the road.

Problem with topics like this is you have people who are doing very modest stuff at one end of the spectrum and super athletes at the other. You have people who are touring Canada in winter, and people touring death valley. There isn't one answer, but I'm still sceptical of the nutritional content of Pepsi products. And fads and brands are what they are.
Old 08-16-10, 09:16 AM
NoReg
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
"The longer the ride and the more gatorade consumed, the bigger and badder the mouth sores."

Oh yeah! Testify!
Old 08-16-10, 09:56 AM
drmweaver2

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've moved from frustrated with this thread to outright laughter. In the original post, I basically asked about the number of people carrying powder mix on tours in the context of the thread title versus buying bottles. Over time, the discussion comments have deteriorated into posts about mouth sores.

I admit I contributed to the drift somewhat myself, but the thread itself has gone off the rail as far as useful information relating to the original intent. You guys enjoy yourselves.
Old 08-16-10, 10:01 AM
ronzorini
Leather and Canvas Fetish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Freewheeler

I wonder where it's all heading? Maybe plants would benefit from something "better" than water?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vw2CrY9Igs

Anyone tried "Brawndo"?
I was wondering how long it would take until someone mentioned "Brawndo"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbxq0...eature=related
Old 08-16-10, 10:06 AM
SBRDude
Godfather of Soul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've moved from frustrated with this thread to outright laughter. In the original post, I basically asked about the number of people carrying powder mix on tours in the context of the thread title versus buying bottles. Over time, the discussion comments have deteriorated into posts about mouth sores.

I admit I contributed to the drift somewhat myself, but the thread itself has gone off the rail as far as useful information relating to the original intent. You guys enjoy yourselves.
Your original post was addressed and the thread took a natural turn. Nothing wrong with that at all, IMO.
Old 08-16-10, 10:15 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
New this year is a plastic bottle that unscrews on both ends, so
the goo residue of energy/sports drinks can effectively be washed out.

myself , food water and beer, in the afternoon, got me where i wanted to go.

simple goals, ride till it seemed a good place to stop, for the night,
enjoy the passage in between, get up and repeat.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-16-10 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-16-10, 03:14 PM
surly_tourer
politically incorrect

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Fondreist Spur, Diamondback Axis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[cabinet has been debating putting water on the plants instead of Brawndo]
Pvt. Joe Bowers: What *are* these electrolytes? Do you even know?
Secretary of State: They're... what they use to make Brawndo!
Pvt. Joe Bowers: But *why* do they use them to make Brawndo?
Secretary of Defense: [raises hand after a pause] Because Brawndo's got electrolytes.
Old 08-16-10, 04:08 PM
CAJohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Drmweaver2, I just read this entire thread. The responses are, ah, quite clear. Some people take liquid gatorade. Some of THOSE people would have loved the powder on their tours. A few wouldn't bother with the weight and would just buy it as they saw it. There's your answer. You got it
Everybody on the forum who is going to contribute HAS already contributed. What more are you looking for? Don't expect to post a topic about something like electrolytes without getting thread drift
It's a pretty on topic thread. Most everyone responds to the thread title, which is "Saving money on electrolyte replacements while on tour". Suggestions for homemade electrolyte mix or an electrolyte-rich diet were made. I fail to see why you're frustrated!

(edit) I use a 'half-salt' mixture when I take electrolytes at all. It's called "Light Salt" here in the U.S. Also, think of responses to the thread as a poll. A few people directly answered the precise question you had. They were probably the -only- people around at the moment with that specific information. However, if your question could be answered another way, we'll all rush in to try to do that and thus you get the huge range of responses.

Last edited by CAJohn; 08-16-10 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-16-10, 04:10 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

I've moved from frustrated with this thread to outright laughter. ....... the thread itself has gone off the rail as far as useful information relating to the original intent. You guys enjoy yourselves.
Welcome to BikeForums!

And as CAJohn mentions above, the thread drift in this thread isn't that bad ... it remained generally on the topic of the title of the thread.

To CAJohn ... I have heard the name "Light Salt" too. The nice thing about carrying a small container of HalfSalt or Light Salt or whatever it's called where you are, is that not only can you sprinkle it into your water before you set off riding, but you can sprinkle it on your food at lunch and dinner. It does double duty ... you'd likely be carrying salt on a tour anyway ... might as well carry a salt with potassium in it. An inexpensive way to get your electrolytes.

Last edited by Machka; 08-16-10 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-16-10, 04:43 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
It asks those who do buy/drink electrolyte replacement drinks what they do - buy bottled drinks or carry mix?
If they are unnecessary, then "neither" is an acceptable answer. So is "rolling your own".

Note that most of the dry weight of nearly any sport drink is sugar.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-16-10 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-16-10, 04:57 PM
drmweaver2

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I guess I was not as accurate in my last post as I intended - whack me with .... whatever you want.

I appreciated the responses that I considered on-topic. I've said that. Obviously, what others considered on-topic differs a bit from what I do or intended. No problem. Still, I remain laughing at where the thread got to - vis-a-vis mouth sores (while sympathizing with those who have them).

So, I assume the thread will continue.... as I said last post, you guys enjoy. I've gotten all the information I "need". Thanks again.
Old 08-16-10, 05:17 PM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Peterpan1
"Not really rockin' the whole humility thing are you? Careful, or you'll choke on all that piety."

I don't know where you get that.
From comments like these:

"...Easy for me to say, because we are entering the 2 weeks when we successfully provide our own food...."

"I agree with surgeonstone. How many reputable labs are just dying to spend huge bucks studying gatorade claims, for the love of science...
"

"While I know there are some people here, like Matchka, who are really serious about their riding, what is probably happening for most people is that they get out beyond the McDonalds for the first time in a while (if that is still possible), and before you know it, they are feeling a huge sugar, salt, and caffein deficit. Then they take some electrolyte replacement stuff just to get normal with their various addictions."

The whole thing sounded like foodie elitism, a la, "I grow my own food, no evil government Gatorade lab is tricking me and no McDonalds ever crosses MY lips...." etc.
I used to be a hardcore foodie, so I've heard a lot of that.
Foodies and road cyclists are good examples of Those Who Do Something Few Others Do, and so must watch out for that elitist stuff creeping in.

I see now that you didn't intend it to sound that way.

Sorry for assuming.

Last edited by dahut; 08-16-10 at 05:41 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.