Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Just so everyone knows

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Just so everyone knows

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-23, 12:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Or, you could look at the spring classics ...
https://www.cyclingtips.com/2022/06/...investigation/

Excellent! That's much more appropriate given the routes are generally fixed!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-11-23, 12:50 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Not really, manufacturers also market bikes to commuters and leisure cyclists too. It's only the race/performance bikes that are marketed for speed/performance.

"Trek hybrid bikes are versatile, easy-riding bikes that will carry you wherever you want to go"
It s not that they don t market to multiple user types. I suspect that most of the marketing and advertising money focuses on the performance market. Why? That s where a lot of profits are. These customers are willing and able to spend the money on their hobby. This is a hypothesis of course since I don t have the in depth information.
Old 03-11-23, 12:51 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Beng1 is also over on RBR as Benjamin Huffy. Interesting that he has never revealed on BF what he rides.
Sure he has. Two of his bikes are in current threads in general. I think most of us don't care what he rides. It's when he says that we are all wrong for having newer bikes and we are gullible for falling for the marketing and he is morally superior and our bikes are garbage and all the other bitter old man tripe he spews.

Just read his last post, his bitterness is starting to come back out after he supressed it for a while.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-11-23, 01:06 PM
big john

Originally Posted by jfouellette
Correct, the North American bicycle marketing is targeted at performance and speed. .
The high performance segment of bicycles sales is tiny compared to the rest. Tiny. Sure, those are the expensive bikes but most people buying expensive bikes know what they want or they have enough disposable income that it doesn't matter.

We keep seeing people insinuate that high end buyers are stupid and gullible. They fall for the marketing because the bike manufacturers tell them they can go fast.
They spend their last dollar to try and be a racer wannabe. B.S.

I ride with 2 road clubs and know people in other road clubs, I have ridden with racers, pro and amateur. Hundreds of people. They do research and buy what they want, they aren't falling into some marketing trap. If one spends $14K on a bike, they know it isn't going to make them faster, they just want it.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-11-23, 01:15 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I think it's also a mistake to think consumers have no agency and are simply slaves to marketing. If that were so, Edsel would have become a thriving brand and New Coke would still be around
Edsel was a model, not a brand. And I'm not sure that it supports your point, since it became noteworthy precisely because the marketing was so bungled that people wouldn't buy it.
Old 03-11-23, 01:21 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Koyote
Edsel was a model, not a brand. And I'm not sure that it supports your point, since it became noteworthy precisely because the marketing was so bungled that people wouldn't buy it.
Edsel was as much a brand as Mercury. And they were butt-ugly which may have contributed to their demise.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-11-23, 01:29 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
A vast number of threads on this forum would make everyone think that speed is the holy grail of cycling.
I suspect that's mostly due to passionate frequent posters tending to be enthusiasts for the activity (of cycling), and posting accordingly. And the "with-it" contemporary thing is, after all, zippier expensive bikes, the hottest cool thang, kit clothing, team colors, etc.

Yet, I'm with you on the sentiment. The whole of cycling isn't what some imagine from a discussion or two, or ten. For me, it's always been about the enjoyment of the journey and getting from A to B. How speedily I happened to get there was never the point, with me. And I suspect many millions of cyclists the world over think similarly. Haven't ever done more than a few speedy "group" rides. Haven't ever done more than a handful of quick, gotta-get-there routes. Instead, I have always tended to make the time available to have a comfortable trip (whether riding or running). For me, it's more about the "battery recharge" and the experience than it is "lookin' good" or how rapidly I arrive.

To each his own ... where everyone's happy on their own routes in their own way.
Old 03-11-23, 01:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

No, it was a brand. It wasn't the "Ford Edsel", there was a range of 4 models when introduced - the Pacer, the Ranger, the Corsair, and the Citation. It was a separate division. And it wasn't that the marketing was bungled. It's that nobody liked them.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-11-23, 01:35 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
I know a lot of riders who aren't fast, never have been and never will be. They still appreciate nice bikes.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-11-23, 01:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Also, my point about marketing is that consumers are not sheep. They don't simply buy what advertising tells them to. Edsel was heavily marketed, but people didn't buy them. There are all sorts of reasons, including the 1957 recession, but the point is that consumers have agency and make choices. We may complain about how hard it is to find rim brakes on higher end road bikes these days, but a lot of that is driven by demand - people aren't buying them.

Old 03-11-23, 01:46 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by big john
Edsel was as much a brand as Mercury. And they were butt-ugly which may have contributed to their demise.
No, it was a brand. It wasn't the "Ford Edsel", there was a range of 4 models when introduced - the Pacer, the Ranger, the Corsair, and the Citation. It was a separate division. And it wasn't that the marketing was bungled. It's that nobody liked them.
Wow, I learned something today! Never knew that it was a brand. But it still was noteworthy as a marketing failure -- the exception to the rule that marketers can sell things that people never really wanted. Hell, it was literally a textbook example of this when I was an undergrad almost forty years ago.
Old 03-11-23, 01:48 PM
Koyote

Also, my point about marketing is that consumers are not sheep. They don't simply buy what advertising tells them to. Edsel was heavily marketed, but people didn't buy them. There are all sorts of reasons, including the 1957 recession, but the point is that consumers have agency and make choices. We may complain about how hard it is to find rim brakes on higher end road bikes these days, but a lot of that is driven by demand - people aren't buying them.
It's not just marketing. It's the mere presence of new things, the emulation effect, conspicuous consumption, etc.

I'm going to recommend two books to you: The Affluent Society, by John Kenneth Galbraith, and Theory of the Leisure Class, by Thorstein Veblen. I believe the former is from around 1957, the latter 1898. If anything, they are even more relevant today.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-11-23, 01:49 PM
big john

Wow, I learned something today! Never knew that it was a brand. But it still was noteworthy as a marketing failure -- the exception to the rule that marketers can sell things that people never really wanted. Hell, it was literally a textbook example of this when I was an undergrad almost forty years ago.
Yes, I think they did everything wrong.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-11-23, 01:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4

So add me in as one of the (apparently overstated) vast majority who rides for the pleasure.
I don't think it's an issue of whether most people ride for pleasure (although that's probably a USA/Canada perspective because utility riding is relatively rare) , it's the idea that there's a clear line between riding fast and riding for pleasure. I'm finding the OP annoying because I ride fast for pleasure and I don't find I need to get in a pissing match with someone because they ride differently from me.

If you enjoy the way you ride, that's great.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-11-23, 01:51 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

My point was that it's not the exception to the rule, it's evidence the rule isn't actually a rule. Commercial history is littered with Edsels - heavily advertised, carefully positioned products that fail because consumers really can't be relied on to buy things they never really wanted.

Mind you, this is not to say that people do not occasionally have sheep-like tendencies, but the assumption that we'll all buy sand in the Sahara because we're just that gullible has been the downfall of many a company.

Old 03-11-23, 02:00 PM
Nooner
If you brake you dont win

Bikes: Santa Cruz Bronson, Trek Remedy 9.8, Cervelo S3, Kona Big Honzo, Cannondale R500, DiamondBack Apex, one storage unit my wife knows nothing about, and one ball crushing unicycle for kicks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Holy cow !
I thank the OP for his opinion on what is pleasurable cycling.
My pleasure INCLUDES speed.
Now get out of my way ...
Old 03-11-23, 02:28 PM
Koyote

My point was that it's not the exception to the rule, it's evidence the rule isn't actually a rule. Commercial history is littered with Edsels - heavily advertised, carefully positioned products that fail because consumers really can't be relied on to buy things they never really wanted.

Mind you, this is not to say that people do not occasionally have sheep-like tendencies, but the assumption that we'll all buy sand in the Sahara because we're just that gullible has been the downfall of many a company.
I agree somewhat. But I think the counter -- the sheep-like buying of whatever is put before us, just because it's there and it's in advertisements that feature people whose lives look better than ours -- is so normal that we ignore the literally countless examples that are all around us.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-11-23, 02:55 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
The high performance segment of bicycles sales is tiny compared to the rest. Tiny. Sure, those are the expensive bikes but most people buying expensive bikes know what they want or they have enough disposable income that it doesn't matter.

We keep seeing people insinuate that high end buyers are stupid and gullible. They fall for the marketing because the bike manufacturers tell them they can go fast.
They spend their last dollar to try and be a racer wannabe. B.S.

I ride with 2 road clubs and know people in other road clubs, I have ridden with racers, pro and amateur. Hundreds of people. They do research and buy what they want, they aren't falling into some marketing trap. If one spends $14K on a bike, they know it isn't going to make them faster, they just want it.

High end buyers are not stupid and gullible. They just see value in different things. They are also willing to be early adopters of technology for example which is very useful as a way to drive innovation. In many cases we would still have one speed bikes if it wasn’t for them.
Likes For jfouellette:
Old 03-11-23, 03:01 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Some say riding for pleasure is one thing, and riding for speed is another. Riders that ride for speed get pleasure from the speed.
Amateur racers that work hard and get exhausted get pleasure from that. I get pleasure from riding my fast bikes fast, my slow bike slow, my mountain bikes on dirt and all the different king of road going bikes on the road. Fixie, cruiser, single speed, frankenbike, Ti road bikes, aluminum road bikes, hybrid, C&V bikes. beater bikes. The trikes with the dog in a basket. The plain trike.
It's all fun. No one type of bike defines my personality, style, choices, or makes me care about what others ride.

If you want approval and attention from all kinds of riders whatever they are on, get a bike or a trike with a cute little dog in it. Even guys on Harleys will approve.
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 03-11-23, 03:03 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese

And sure, sponsors do make riders use what they want to sell to consumers. Why do you think they sponsor teams to begin with? In some cases (like disk brakes) the riders actively resisted the newer tech, but to no avail. This is what we're marketing, and this is what you'll ride.
Do you think multiple competing manufacturers would actually try to make their halo pro level bikes and components faster? That's how competition generally works IME. Now cycling is a marginal gains sport and progress is slowed up by restrictive technical regulations. But they have still improved a great deal in my lifetime i.e. 55 years. There's no way I want to go back to riding anything vaguely competitive on my steel bikes from the 80s or 90s. Especially not on period tyres.
Old 03-11-23, 03:12 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Who are "we"?
I’m thinking of the little piggy that ran all the way home or had an incontinence issue.

Old 03-11-23, 03:28 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Respectfully disagree. I'm not talking about finish times, I'm talking about average speed across all stages, measured over nearly three decades of "improvements" to the bikes. We absolutely can draw a conclusion from that.
You are treading on dangerous ground here. Obviously your biases have in the past and might in the near future cause your willful ignorance to be revealed ... a form of humorous self-ridicule in which I do not think you would choose to engage.https://bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdfstats.html

I will grant you, despite 2022 being the highest in a while .... yes, for the past 33 years the speed in Grand Tours has remained about the same .... but look at the distance. See how it changes each year? That is proof that the highest possible finishing speed is not a factor in course design or in product design.

Each Tour is self-contained, and DESIGNED—read that again—to produce approximately the same level of performance---approximately the peak level of performance achievable by a modern athlete using modern training methods, riding nearly identical, weight- and component-controlled bikes.

Tour stages are designed, each year to do different things, and the whole Tour, each year is designed with differing philosophies. I recall a period where the Tour was exceedingly hard .... lots of long stages, really brutal mountain stages .... at other times stages were loaded with hard climbs, and lately mountaintop finishes are more prominent. Also, the occasional shorter stage is featured now.

In all cases, the organizers are trying to stimulate excitement during each stage and during the Tour overall. (Same with sprint points, time bonuses, etc.)

Organizers found that on stages with too many climbs, riders didn't attack early; everyone waited for the last climb because no one wanted to crack and lose the Tour on one stage. The really long, hard stages didn't separate out the weak and strong, they made everyone ride more cautiously. Short stages, if used at the right time, gave riders more incentive to push, because they might be able to get and stay away.

Tour stages, and the Tour itself is NOT (did you read where I wrote "not?") about always going faster than the year before. When the peak of human performance (hopefully only modified by a few drugs) is reached, greater speed is not possible anyway, but greater injury is .... another reason super-hard Tours are not popular. Riders cannot afford to burn out in the middle of the season.

Got it? The peak of human potential on a diamond-framed bicycle, at UCI-legal weight, with modern riders, has been calculated, and each Tour is designed to Try at least, to push riders near to maximum performance without causing undue rider failure (physical breakdown.)

As riders get faster, stages are adjusted so that riders have to work as hard as they can across three weeks. As stages get too hard, next year the Tour is adjusted to be a little easier ... enabling the greatest number of riders to achieve maximum performance. Nobody would enter a Grand Tour if the rider afterwards needed six months' recovery

If the Tour was all about speed, the bikes would not have a minimum weight limit, or the limit would be 1.5 or 2 kg lower.

If the Tour was about top speed, riders would be on recumbent on the flat stages, and fairings would be allowed.

Another point you ignore or just don’t get----the Tour is NOT about selling “race bikes.” As it happens, the UCI does not permit road-racing “race bikes.” In every other form of wheeled competition I can think of, there is a class or many classes, of vehicles design Purely for racing. Most of these could not even be operated on a public street.

Tour bikes are like the old NASCAR stock cars—the ones actually built on passenger-car chassis—or like old Trans-Am, where the cars were modified road cars (or GT4 and to an extent GT3 today, but who cares?) Except UCI road-racing bikes are actually "stock." They have to be bikes which can be purchased at any dealer by any buyer with enough cash. If they were "race" bikes the climbing bikes would all weight 12 pounds and the aero bikes would have faired wheels or whatever .... and recumbents would absolutely be used in every flat stage.

Disc brakes are not about speed. They are a huge upgrade in breaking performance for those who choose them and know how to use them, but not everyone will benefit from them …. Racers, streaking down mountainsides at maximum velocity, certainly can, but they have to haul the weight uphill as well. However, it is arguably better for riders to climb a little more slowly and not blow tires due to overheating on the downhills.

Even so, discs were not (as they were with cars) developed and introduced to make the vehicles Faster (or capable of sustaining higher speeds longer before braking points, or to be more reliable do that when a driver hit the brake the car slowed.) Disc brakes are useful on bikes because they allow wider tires in a given fork size, work well in all weather conditions, and can be applied at maximum force with less physical force, and thus should be more manageable. I cannot say they are All that … but I don’t love or hate them. They are what the industry believes is an advancement … so they show up on Tour bikes. NOT to make the Tour bikes faster, but because the Tour bikes are actually bikes like you or I can buy at the showroom and ride.

Clear so far?

We can draw conclusions ... but I am not quire sure what your conclusion is. If your "conclusion" is that all the added tech does not make bikes faster ... well, obviously. On the other hand, the average Tour speeds do Not prove that.

If I have not expressed this clearly, please tell me ... i will reformulate and try to say it more clearly in fewer words.
The marketing of bicycles is no different than any other consumer product. The goal is to make you dissatisfied with what you have, and then sell you on the idea that the new products are "better". You need more gears! Our new and improved model has just that - more gears! Oh wait, we have this new thing called 1x drivetrains. You need fewer gears!
Again, you cherry pick facts and present them to support your biases. Your audience is not stupid and no one is fooled.

The reason for more gears is that more gears, up to a point, are better. Having started riding when the three-speed was the top of the heap, moving up to ten-speeds and on up ... I can attest to this. Having more gear choices allows one to find the optimal ratio for each situation, which gives the greatest efficiency. Not everyone needs or wants or notices or even cares ... heck, a lot of people I have talked to riding low-end bikes with 3x7 triples don't even know how to shift, or just shift the front.

That is not who the 22- and 24-speed drive trains are made for.

And yes, Shimano Could have introduced 12-speed way back when, (or at least nine-speed--there was a lot of design and testing about how narrow a chain could be, how precise a derailleur could get, how thin a cog could be and how close cogs could be)) and did deliberately upgrade in increments .... Shimano Is a Business. it is easy to tell the people who have never worked for themselves---they see management and business owners as Evil. You start a business and see if you don't strategize to maximize sales and plan product introductions so as to maximize profits. When doing it right means rent or no rent, you grow up fast.

And your snarky quip about 1x .... either you are Jethro Tull's first actual "concept album" or you are deliberately dishonest. 1x is all about not needing a large number of gears off-road, where riding styles are drastically different. For most MTB riders, a front derailleur was unnecessary weight and potential breakdown, because off0road riding is Not all about aerobic efficiency---getting into your long-and-low position and long stretches of pedaling at a steady cadence with maximum efficiency, where precisely the right ratio is a bonus. MTB is more about shorter bursts of more intense pedaling followed by a brief, intense, downhill followed by more hard pedaling. Off-road, most riders found that they simply didn't need all the closely-spaced gears ... but no one sold 42-tooth cogs, or derailleurs which could handle 10-42 or whatever ... so 1x was not really feasible.

Once the engineers---you know, those guys who are so evil, they keep making bikes better---realized that in some applications, a triple was three-times overkill, they began experimenting with derailleurs which could handle the swing, and for people who didn't need max efficiency but wanted max simplicity, voila ... 1x.

Far from being any kind of nefarious scheme an you portray it, 1x is a very large improvement for certain riders in certain situations.

Again, are we clear? If not, please point out where I am not being clear and I will try to improve my communication.
Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with people buying a new bicycle with the latest technology or features, just because they want it. That's part of the fun and I would be the last person to tell someone they're wrong. I buy stuff all the time just because I want it and can afford it, even if there are no real advantages to what I have now. I think you can say that about a lot of hobbies.
So ... what are you on about, then?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-11-23, 03:29 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Just so everyone knows, this thread succeeded beyond any reasonable expectation.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-11-23, 03:42 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
One of the more-astute and -curious scientific minds of the past century had some thoughts along these lines, regarding how we see things and what value we attribute to things (from our perspectives).

"I have a friend who's an artist and has sometimes taken a view which I don't agree with very well.

"He'll hold up a flower and say 'look how beautiful it is,' and I'll agree. Then he says "I as an artist can see how beautiful this is but you as a scientist take this all apart and it becomes a dull thing," and I think that he's kind of nutty.

"First of all, the beauty that he sees is available to other people and to me too, I believe. Although I may not be quite as refined aesthetically as he is ... I can appreciate the beauty of a flower. At the same time, I see much more about the flower than he sees. I could imagine the cells in there, the complicated actions inside, which also have a beauty.

"I mean it's not just beauty at
this dimension, at one centimeter; there's also beauty at smaller dimensions, the inner structure, also the processes. The fact that the colors in the flower evolved in order to attract insects to pollinate it is interesting; it means that insects can see the color. It adds a question: does this aesthetic sense also exist in the lower forms? Why is it aesthetic? All kinds of interesting questions which the science knowledge only adds to the excitement, the mystery and the awe of a flower. It only adds. I don't understand how it subtracts."

- Richard P. Feynman, The Pleasure of Finding Things Out: The Best Short Works of Richard P. Feynman

Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 03-11-23, 03:45 PM
roytar

Bikes: 1980 Trek 510, 1983 Trek 560

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Speed is not going to matter soon when e drives and batteries are minimized to the point where all bikes will have them and everyone will fly by you without peddling. How quaint! He's actually peddling the bike with his feet!
So slow down now and enjoy the scenery!
Likes For roytar:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.