Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Just so everyone knows

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Just so everyone knows

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-23, 06:44 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
This thread has succeeded in accomplishing only one thing....and that one thing was to create more divisions and hostility between cyclists who ride for sport and speed and cyclists who just ride for pleasure, recreation and exercise...
What about the cyclists who ride for all of those reasons? As one of them, which side of the fence should I be on?
Old 03-11-23, 06:50 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
What about the cyclists who ride for all of those reasons? As one of them, which side of the fence should I be on?
does not compute.

if you care about speed, fitness, technique, training, etc, you are not having pleasure and are not a fun footloose live-in-the-moment zen master recreational rider.
Old 03-11-23, 07:03 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
No one actually said it's wrong, but the divisions and hostilities between the two groups are obvious. Just like hostilities between cyclists who prefer older and newer tech.
What about someone who enjoys all four of those categories? Like me and others?
Oops. Missed post number 177. Oh well, what's the answer?

Last edited by 2manybikes; 03-11-23 at 07:06 PM. Reason: forgot something
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 03-11-23, 07:10 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I never get when others think that those who ride for speed are not pleasurably recreating for fun.

On a 300km brevet about 200km into it, three of us came upon a rider going 20 mph decked out in some pro team skinsuit on a TT bike that must have cost $20K. Full on best of the best stuff. As we approached, I was amused at how slow he was going. Then, I saw the huge smile on his face, the face of about an 80-85 year old man. Ear to ear. I still feel bad judging him from behind. God bless him having so much enjoyment and 20 mph even on a MUP is fast at that age.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-11-23, 07:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I never get when others think that those who ride for speed are not pleasurably recreating for fun.

On a 300km brevet about 200km into it, three of us came upon a rider going 20 mph decked out in some pro team skinsuit on a TT bike that must have cost $20K. Full on best of the best stuff. As we approached, I was amused at how slow he was going. Then, I saw the huge smile on his face, the face of about an 80-85 year old man. Ear to ear. I still feel bad judging him from behind. God bless him having so much enjoyment and 20 mph even on a MUP is fast at that age.
This.

On my Sunday rides, there are places where I sit up a bit and just groove on the beauty of riding through a "tree tunnel" on a lightly traveled back road, and other times when I get as aero as possible to see if I can go faster than my highest 38 mph down this straight downhill stretch, and a couple times when I get into 'aero hoods' position and grind along, trying to keep the momentum from the last little descent for as long as I can across the flat, and other times when I'm standing up on the pedals to get over this hump or that as quickly as possible, and ALL OF THAT is me having a rip-roaring good time - so much so that I spend a lot of Saturday happily anticipating the ride.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-11-23, 07:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
No one actually said it's wrong, but the divisions and hostilities between the two groups are obvious. Just like hostilities between cyclists who prefer older and newer tech.

You can always tell when someone is claiming bs when they say it's obvious but they can't provide examples.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-11-23, 07:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I didn't read all the replies so I missed the word junk in beng1 post, at least I wasn't the one who said it.
I think you've been too busy making up stuff other people didn't say.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-11-23, 08:16 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Sometimes these discussions remind me of something my sister said about several cars she and her husband had owned - "Why don't they make them anymore? If they did, we'd buy one!" She said that about the 1974 Dodge Dart her FIL gave them when they got married, and which they owned for probably another 5 years after receiving it in 1978, and similarly about Dodge Lancer that replaced it and which they kept for a number of years after.

The answer is obvious - you can build a niche business around selling nostalgia and retrogrouchness, but you can't build an industry around it.
Reminds me of that quote wrongly attributed to Henry Ford: "If I ask the people what they want, they will tell me 'a faster horse'".
Old 03-11-23, 08:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
The problem here is a handful of certain individuals { wannabe pros } who are trying to turn General Forum into another road racing forum and brand any poster who doesn't participate and talk about racing and places speed as a top priority a troll.
This is, like much of what you post, a very warped version of reality.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-11-23, 08:59 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You can get free Strava on your phone and easily compare your performance.
I don't have a "cell phone", and never had a "smart" phone and never will. I have a stop-watch.
Old 03-11-23, 09:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Beng1 is also over on RBR as Benjamin Huffy. Interesting that he has never revealed on BF what he rides. Not that there is anything wrong with older budget bikes if that's what makes you happy and they suit you. While I don't go chasing the latest tech, I don't denigrate those that do either. It appears some just come here to bash high end equipment.
His road bike and MTB.
These couple pics came from another thread on General where Beng makes some absurd claims about bike strength, and proceeds to lob a couple of general insults where he claims anyone who doesn't see things bis way is inexperienced or doesnt ride as much.

beng1 is nothing if not entertaining.

Stem shifters, steel rims, pressed dropouts, and bare steel bars in all its glory.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 03-11-23 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-11-23, 09:10 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
This thread has succeeded in accomplishing only one thing....and that one thing was to create more divisions and hostility between cyclists who ride for sport and speed and cyclists who just ride for pleasure, recreation and exercise...
I ride for sport and speed and for pleasure, recreation, and exercise -- all at the same time. I suspect many others on bf are just like me.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-11-23, 09:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
That is great advice for all the would be racer boyz!!!
okay, whatever

Likes For caloso:
Old 03-11-23, 09:36 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
His road bike and MTB.
These couple pics came from another thread on General where Beng makes some absurd claims about bike strength, and proceeds to lob a couple of general insults where he claims anyone who doesn't see things bis way is inexperienced or doesnt ride as much.

Stem shifters, steel rims, pressed dropouts, and bare steel bars in all its glory.
We need to get this guy together with Timtak.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-11-23, 09:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
His road bike and MTB.

Needs a dumpster vodka bottle rack.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-11-23, 09:43 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I don't read cycling magazines anymore because of what you described. All the marketing is towards speed and performance when people like me just want a practical way to get around.

That kind of marketing reminds me of car marketing showing families driving through the city center core with no traffic congestion or being able to park right in front of your destination. Romantic for the suckers but unrealistic.
You are quite correct that in a city, a racing or hot bike would not be the way to get around - and no need for Bicycle Magazine or others. However, for many of us romantic unrealistic suckers, that live in the countryside or have access to the countryside, and enjoy speed and performance there are lots of good options marketed that might just give us the boost we crave. One size does not fit all and beware ethnocentric points of view.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-11-23, 10:22 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
And for that, we have Bicycle Quarterly.
Old 03-11-23, 10:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Needs a dumpster vodka bottle rack.
The other thing is, it's way too small for him. Even in the 60s, they made bigger bikes..

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-12-23, 12:30 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The other thing is, it's way too small for him. Even in the 60s, they made bigger bikes..
['QUOTE=beng1;22824110] Experienced mountain-bikers and road-bikers always pick a frame on the smaller side so on a MTB they can drop behind the seat easily on steep downhills, and on the road they can get as aero as possible. Anyone that is really into cycling knows these things....[/QUOTE]

No, no, he's right. It's how experienced cyclists pick out the frame when they buy a new bike. None of us are experienced cyclists, by his measure.

Except that he's not bought a new bike in the last 40 years. Or perhaps bought any bicycle, ever, depending on how deep you dive into his manifesto.

I mean, why buy, when the commercially brainwashed sheep are throwing away perfectly good ten-speeds in favor of disposable plastic junk bikes. A 60's Schwinn, picked from a dumpster, is all the bike anyone could ever need, amiright?

Last edited by Ironfish653; 03-12-23 at 01:27 AM.
Old 03-12-23, 12:49 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
Experienced mountain-bikers and road-bikers always pick a frame on the smaller side so on a MTB they can drop behind the seat easily on steep downhills, and on the road they can get as aero as possible. Anyone that is really into cycling knows these things....
Mountain bikers in the last quarter of a century have these dohickies called dropper posts, and they also tend to ride larger frames than a standard fit might suggest.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-12-23, 05:19 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Over and over we throw reason at the unreasonable and truth at the dishonest.

I 'd say the heroes of this thread are GhostRider62 and genejockey .... the latter proves that people who appreciate older machinery can be sane and happy, and the former proves that riding recumbents or trikes does not induce brain-rot in everybody who dares try ......

The rest of us, who obtain pleasure from riding however we want to ... we are just doing it wrong. I am so glad I finally found out.

My favorite Feynman bit was the afterward of his last book, when he was about to die of cancer .... he went on about science, and probity, and about how scientists should be totally committed to truth, not to discovery and certainly not to satisfy the corporations providing funding---scientists should, as soon as they made a breakthrough, not tell the world, but try their best to prove themselves wrong. Only if their work stood up to their own harshest scrutiny would it be worth passing on to others for them to test.

He understood that scientists were human, and thus fallible, and that the duty of a scientist was to use the methods of science to ensure that the human element didn't color the results.

He saw what happened with the Challenger space shuttle ... where people lied about science to please the corporations providing funding ... didn't work so well.

He missed out on the glorious present, where what matters is not truth, but how many likes you get on social media.

I was having a good morning until I came here .... I will leave you all in peace and go enjoy life again .....

Last edited by Maelochs; 03-12-23 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-12-23, 05:56 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Going to celebrate the foolishness of this thread today by trying to ride fast up the steepest local hill where I the fool is the local legend. I hope to average 6.2 mph.

Climbing that hill the other day, it felt like another rider had latched onto my wheel. I looked back. What was there? A beautiful puppy seemingly smiling following me up the climb. Happy as can be. I don't seem to recall the GSD asking me if I had electronic or mechanical.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-12-23, 06:44 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
OMG
Old 03-12-23, 06:52 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
I don't have a "cell phone", and never had a "smart" phone and never will. I have a stop-watch.
Since you're on this forum, you obviously have a computer. Isn't that too much tech for you?

Seriously, I'm not one to jump on new tech when it first arrives. I let others work out the bugs. And I'm still somewhat of a Luddite. Yes, I have a smartphone, but I don't have a Garmin or power meter and I'm just starting to warm to Di2. My "new" car is now 3 years old and I haven't quite figured out the head unit or figured out how to make Android Auto work. I still plug my MP3 player into the headphone jack and also have my collection of CD's in the car.

This being said, I don't go onto forums and bash people who use these techie gadgets even if I have no interest in them. That's just a form of trolling. Trolling isn't nice, mmmmkay?

Last edited by Lombard; 03-12-23 at 06:58 AM.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-12-23, 07:01 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Likes For tcs:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.