Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do clip pedals make riding harder or easier?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do clip pedals make riding harder or easier?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-23, 12:13 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
It doesn't seem to me that anyone implied that clipless pedals were necessary for everyone riding long distances. Obviously, you have found it not to be true, and sharing your contrary experience is valuable to the discussion. I suspect there are folks on both sides of this particular fence.

There are lots of different ways to ride a bike, and lots of different bikes to to ride. People who ride a lot tend to find what works best for themselves, with the way they prefer to ride, and it may be different than what another person has found. No one is wrong. Well...except those guys who insist that their way is the only way, and everyone else is a moron.
It was the statement, "I can't imagine riding long distance without clipless," as iff it would be some sort of hardship. A ridiculous statement and implication. And I agree, ride what you want, the way you want. What works for one may not work for another. We all have out preferences. I prefer to not be fastened to a bike. That is my preference, and I do not care if others do like to be fastened to a bike. That is their preference, and the clipless pedals that make that possible are very good.
Old 05-18-23, 12:16 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Ridiculous response. Not a false dichotomy.
You posited a world with two possibilities -- right here:

Sorry, but long ago, we didn't have clipless, though they were invented a very long time ago, they weren't widely used when I started riding. No one died, no one had horrible injuries from riding long distances. A large platform pedal supports the foot well, and one can ride as far as they like with no issues with their feet. With clipless on the other hand, you need to rely on special shoes and very stiff soles, which simply replaces the platform for supporting the foot. You also have to get them set up right, for you, to prevent issues. If for some reason you have an issue, you cannot move your foot around on the pedal, because you are locked in. With a platform, you can move if you would like.
You're completely ignoring toe clips and straps, as evidenced by this line, which I will quote again for emphasis:

If for some reason you have an issue, you cannot move your foot around on the pedal, because you are locked in. With a platform, you can move if you would like.
Not a big deal, at least to me; but if you're going to throw the word "ridiculous" at me, I'll respond with your own words. You set up a false dichotomy which ignored the fact that riders have been fastening their feet to pedals for about 100 years.
Old 05-18-23, 12:21 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by Koyote
You posited a world with two possibilities -- right here:

You're completely ignoring toe clips and straps, as evidenced by this line, which I will quote again for emphasis:

Not a big deal, at least to me; but if you're going to throw the word "ridiculous" at me, I'll respond with your own words. You set up a false dichotomy which ignored the fact that riders have been fastening their feet to pedals for about 100 years.
How am I ignoring toe clips? I haven't even ignored clipless. I have simply stated that we were riding without clipless for years without issues. Yes some used toe clips, many did not. Unreal. I think you like to argue. I'll let you. My point is, and has always been, that you can ride long distances very comfortably with platform pedals, and many do. My brother used toe clips. I did not. None of my friends used toe clips. Other people I saw did. None of that matters. Ride what you want. You can however ride without clipless and be very happy, and ride long distance.
Old 05-18-23, 12:28 PM
Koyote

I have simply stated that we were riding without clipless for years without issues. Yes some used toe clips, many did not. Unreal. I think you like to argue. I'll let you. My point is, and has always been, that you can ride long distances very comfortably with platform pedals, and many do. My brother used toe clips. I did not. None of my friends used toe clips. Other people I saw did. None of that matters. Ride what you want. You can however ride without clipless and be very happy, and ride long distance.
Agreed! That's why I said that it's no big deal -- no fundamental argument. My point is that there is a reason why so many cyclists, for almost as long as there have been bikes, have been mechanically attaching their feet to pedals.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-18-23, 12:29 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by Koyote
Agreed! That's why I said that it's no big deal -- no fundamental argument. My point is that there is a reason why so many cyclists, for almost as long as there have been bikes, have been mechanically attaching their feet to pedals.
And clipless was invented in the 1800s.
Old 05-18-23, 12:34 PM
Koyote

[QUOTE=phughes;22894242]And clipless was invented in the 1800s.[/QUOTE

Ha! And you claim that I like to argue!

I'm sure you know that clipless pedals weren't commonly used until much later...And now I'll let you have the last word.
Old 05-18-23, 12:36 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
It was the statement, "I can't imagine riding long distance without clipless," as iff it would be some sort of hardship. A ridiculous statement and implication. And I agree, ride what you want, the way you want. What works for one may not work for another. We all have out preferences. I prefer to not be fastened to a bike. That is my preference, and I do not care if others do like to be fastened to a bike. That is their preference, and the clipless pedals that make that possible are very good.
I suspect you might have interpreted the comment as, "I can't imagine (anyone) riding long distance without clipless". Of course, this would rub you the wrong way because of your own contrary experience. However, as actually written, I read it as just a personal opinion about their own feelings on the topic, not a challenge that your way is wrong.
Old 05-18-23, 12:42 PM
phughes

[QUOTE=Koyote;22894251]
And clipless was invented in the 1800s.[/QUOTE

Ha! And you claim that I like to argue!

I'm sure you know that clipless pedals weren't commonly used until much later...And now I'll let you have the last word.
Yeah, I already stated that in the first post of mine that you quoted. I was simply agreeing with you regarding people mechanically attaching themselves to pedals for a long time, and mentioning an interesting fact regarding the invention of clipless.. So in agreeing with you, I wasn't arguing.
Old 05-18-23, 12:43 PM
phughes

I suspect you might have interpreted the comment as, "I can't imagine (anyone) riding long distance without clipless". Of course, this would rub you the wrong way because of your own contrary experience. However, as actually written, I read it as just a personal opinion about their own feelings on the topic, not a challenge that your way is wrong.
Nothing in this thread rubbed me the wrong way. I find it difficult to get emotional over someone's opinion regarding a bicycle. I did say that you could ride long distance using platform pedals without issues though. That is just stating a fact. No emotion necessary.
Old 05-18-23, 12:55 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
The benefit of clipless is not going faster, its being attached to the bike. That, at the same time, is the drawback too, depending on application. Riding flats or clipless, the same route at the same speed require the same power for the same amount of time. There IS NO free lunch, even if the bike industry would like you to believe so.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 05-18-23, 01:10 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
To all the above, I say, "Whatever." I've been on maybe 1000 group rides, distances ranging from 30 to 200 miles. I don't remember seeing even one rider using plain flats. Mostly clipless, but a few with clips and straps. I figure . . . maybe there's a reason for that. I rode flats as a kid, up to maybe 60 miles. Of course I knew nothing about cycling other than that I loved to ride. But the very first time, at 17, I ever pulled my straps tight, I knew I had entered a whole new world of cycling. I was a pretty strong kid though, used to climbing, skiing, running, all that stuff, as well as cycling. So I already had the legs. I think athletic folks, always looking for the hardest way to do everything, readily take to foot retention.
Old 05-18-23, 02:56 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I do. A moderately-regular BF member struggled to adapt to clipless, and gave up in frustration.
Her name rhymes with Ren, and she's from a certain southern Nevada city.

I think most people who try clipless pedals like them and quickly adapt, but there are certainly exceptions.
Old 05-18-23, 02:58 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Broctoon
Her name rhymes with Ren, and she's from a certain southern Nevada city.

I think most people who try clipless pedals like them and quickly adapt, but there are certainly exceptions.
I was being vague on purpose
Old 05-18-23, 03:54 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Just purely curious, are there studies or researches that demonstrate that clipless pedals are in fact more efficient (e.g. generate more power) than platform pedals in a statistically significant way? I've watched a few YouTube videos where they make the comparison and conclude that the advantage of the clipless system is minimal if it does exist in terms of efficiency.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-18-23, 04:03 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Why is it so hard for all the clipless fans out there to accept the fact that "some" people are just comfortable and have a preference for platform pedals and regular shoes ?. This whole argument against platform pedals being unsuitable for longer distances is just complete BS...I am not disputing or debating that clipless may have some slight performance benefits when racing or doing competitive type of riding, that's fine and I can accept that. I am just not interested in them that's all, like I said before I just prefer to be able to hop on my bike with whatever shoes I decide to wear that day and go for a ride without having to put on special type of shoes. Why can't people just accept that ?.
Old 05-18-23, 04:21 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Why is it so hard for all the clipless fans out there to accept the fact that "some" people are just comfortable and have a preference for platform pedals and regular shoes ?. This whole argument against platform pedals being unsuitable for longer distances is just complete BS...I am not disputing or debating that clipless may have some slight performance benefits when racing or doing competitive type of riding, that's fine and I can accept that. I am just not interested in them that's all, like I said before I just prefer to be able to hop on my bike with whatever shoes I decide to wear that day and go for a ride without having to put on special type of shoes. Why can't people just accept that ?.
Can you provide an example where someone said that platform pedals are unsuitable for longer distances? Expressing a personal preference for either clipless or platform does not automatically mean that they are unaccepting of other people using something different. In this thread, people have made that quite clear.

Last edited by Eric F; 05-18-23 at 04:27 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 05-18-23, 04:38 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Can you provide an example where someone said that platform pedals are unsuitable for longer distances? Expressing a personal preference for either clipless or platform does not automatically mean that they are unaccepting of other people using something different. In this thread, people have made that quite clear.
I totally agree clipless vs flat is a personal preference. OTOH, some people have said clipless pedals are more efficient, as if it is an establifhed fact. That's why I asked in my previous post whether there are any studies or researches that back that up. All the ones I've seen so far seem to agree that the difference is minimal if it does exist.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-18-23, 05:04 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by daihard
I totally agree clipless vs flat is a personal preference. OTOH, some people have said clipless pedals are more efficient, as if it is an establifhed fact. That's why I asked in my previous post whether there are any studies or researches that back that up. All the ones I've seen so far seem to agree that the difference is minimal if it does exist.
Have you read thought the thread? A lot of this stuff has been discussed above.

The differences in raw power input-output are probably minimal (I haven't done a lot of personal research on this specifically). The advantage is that being mechanically attached to the pedal allows the rider to put power into the pedal in a greater range around the pedal circle, thus the ability to share the load among more muscle groups, or supplement with opposing forces (push and pull at the same time, for example) in certain conditions. That said, just because a rider can apply power almost all the way around the pedal circle doesn't mean they do it very well. Clipless pedals are typically used with a very stiff (maybe fully rigid) soled shoe that minimizes power loss thought flexing of the sole, and transferring more of that power to the pedal. However, there is nothing preventing a rider from using a stiff shoe on a flat pedal. There are some people who simply prefer to be mechanically connected with their bike, and find that it helps with control, especially when riding in rough conditions like a MTB or gravel bike might encounter, or in all-out efforts on the road.

As we have seen from examples in this thread, there are some riders who prefer not to be clipped in, who prefer to be able to move their feet around, and/or don't want to wear special shoes, especially ones that are difficult to walk in when off the bike.

There is no one right answer for all riders and all types of riding. What matters to me might not matter at all to you.

Last edited by Eric F; 05-18-23 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-18-23, 05:21 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Have you read thought the thread? A lot of this stuff has been discussed above.

The differences in raw power input-output are probably minimal (I haven't done a lot of personal research on this specifically). The advantage is that being mechanically attached to the pedal allows the rider to put power into the pedal in a greater range around the pedal circle, thus the ability to share the load among more muscle groups, or supplement with opposing forces (push and pull at the same time, for example) in certain conditions. That said, just because a rider can apply power almost all the way around the pedal circle doesn't mean they do it very well. Clipless pedals are typically used with a very stiff (maybe fully rigid) soled shoe that minimizes power loss thought flexing of the sole, and transferring more of that power to the pedal. However, there is nothing preventing a rider from using a stiff shoe on a flat pedal. There are some people who simply prefer to be mechanically connected with their bike, and find that it helps with control, especially when riding in rough conditions like a MTB or gravel bike might encounter.

As we have seen from examples in this thread, there are some riders who prefer not to be clipped in, who prefer to be able to move their feet around, and/or don't want to wear special shoes, especially ones that are difficult to walk in when off the bike.

There is no one right answer for all riders and all types of riding. What matters to me might not matter at all to you.
I've read every single post in this thread. I totally understand that many riders, including myself, like the feet physically attached to the pedals as it gives you more safety and control. I'm just interested in knowing whether there's any data that shows the cliipless setup _is_ more efficient in deliverying performance than flat pedals in a signiicant way, which seems to be what some posters argue, because what I've found so far does not. As I said above, it's just purely out of curiosity.

This comparison makes sense to me, if you're interested.

Old 05-18-23, 05:33 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by daihard
I've read every single post in this thread. I totally understand that many riders, including myself, like the feet physically attached to the pedals as it gives you more safety and control. I'm just interested in knowing whether there's any data that shows the cliipless setup _is_ more efficient in deliverying performance than flat pedals in a signiicant way, which seems to be what some posters argue, because what I've found so far does not. As I said above, it's just purely out of curiosity.

This comparison makes sense to me, if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVLfqjcTbnU
I've seen that video. It seems to confirm an advantage for clipless. However, their testing protocol has so many variables that it's hardly irrefutable proof. In my estimation, if a rider's pedaling mechanics don't take any advantage of the areas in the circle where being attached makes a difference, then they won't see a difference. For me - other than bike control factors - the difference is in being able to shift where the focus of my effort is around the circle to give other muscles a rest for a little while. There was a time when I was better at pedaling (most of) a circle than I am now.
Old 05-18-23, 05:58 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

I've seen that video. It seems to confirm an advantage for clipless. However, their testing protocol has so many variables that it's hardly irrefutable proof. In my estimation, if a rider's pedaling mechanics don't take any advantage of the areas in the circle where being attached makes a difference, then they won't see a difference. For me - other than bike control factors - the difference is in being able to shift where the focus of my effort is around the circle to give other muscles a rest for a little while. There was a time when I was better at pedaling (most of) a circle than I am now.
The takeaway for me is that the difference that exists is minimal, but in any case, I agree this is not a very scientific study. What I should have quoted first is this one, which actually was the first such comparison video I've seen. I was quite surpised on watching it myself, One particularly interesting finding is how being told to pull the pedal up actually decreased efficiency.

Old 05-18-23, 06:06 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 166 Posts
Easier.
Old 05-18-23, 09:40 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
always depends.
. Stick with a product that works well for you.

Old 05-18-23, 10:00 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Dylan Johnson helped me find the error in my previous post re: efficiency.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-19-23, 02:32 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Some people are confusing efficiency with power. They are not the same thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.