Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1984 Miyata 710 Project

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1984 Miyata 710 Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-23, 06:09 PM
H2Rick

Bikes: 1981 Schwinn (Panasonic) Le Tour Tourist 10 speed, 1972? Hiawatha 10 Speed, 1981 Schwinn (Giant) World Tourist w/Shimano FF System, 1984 Miyata 710 (work in progress), 1985 Miyata 90 (mint condition but too small for me),1971 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
1984 Miyata 710 Project

It'll be a labor of love but the old girl is 95% original, excepting the the normal wear items and that rear Vetta rack. Isn't that "Sunrise Red" paint eye-catching ?? Ignore that stem shifter assemply installed by me to see if I could convert the bike over to stem shifters. My back is not really up to riding with drop bars. The biggest problem facing me to get on with a bare-frame resto is the rear wheel. I bought this bike from a guy who said it was his father-in-law's from new and he commuted on it 5 days a week until he retired circa 2000. Somewhere in that period, the rear wheel got changed out from a fancy stock Araya-rimmed 700C wheel (see pic of Araya label) to a 27 x 1 1/8 Sun "Mistral"-rimmed wheel.....to gain more speed I assume. Now I'm on the hunt for a rear Araya 700C rimmed wheel to match the front. Anyone out there who has a spare one of those Araya wheels in his/her collection is asked to contact me with some pics and a price. If I can get my mitts on one of those original wheels, I'll be soooooo grateful.
Likes For H2Rick:
Old 08-26-23, 06:28 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Which shifters will you use?
Nice bike.
Old 08-27-23, 09:32 PM
H2Rick

Bikes: 1981 Schwinn (Panasonic) Le Tour Tourist 10 speed, 1972? Hiawatha 10 Speed, 1981 Schwinn (Giant) World Tourist w/Shimano FF System, 1984 Miyata 710 (work in progress), 1985 Miyata 90 (mint condition but too small for me),1971 Schwinn Super Sport

Well, first I've got to resolve the mixed size wheel thing....and that's turning out to be a giant pita. It seems that no one offers a black rimmed 27" (630mm) front wheel with a QR hub and 36 hole rim, which would match the rear wheel in size and looks......although, as mentioned in my first post the bike was originally equipped with 700C natural colour wheels and hubs. A replacement 700C rear wheel with freewheel machining on the QR 126mm ALD hub all in natural finish is also unobtainium.
As for the shifter setup, I'm leaning towards upright type touring bars with the stem shifters shown in the first 2 pics. I have all the bits needed to do this and I can even get the SS braided cable casing to make them match the original Miyata casings for the brake cables. So, the search continues for a suitable front or rear wheel.
Old 08-29-23, 03:09 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by H2Rick
Well, first I've got to resolve the mixed size wheel thing....and that's turning out to be a giant pita. It seems that no one offers a black rimmed 27" (630mm) front wheel with a QR hub and 36 hole rim, which would match the rear wheel in size and looks......although, as mentioned in my first post the bike was originally equipped with 700C natural colour wheels and hubs. A replacement 700C rear wheel with freewheel machining on the QR 126mm ALD hub all in natural finish is also unobtainium.
As for the shifter setup, I'm leaning towards upright type touring bars with the stem shifters shown in the first 2 pics. I have all the bits needed to do this and I can even get the SS braided cable casing to make them match the original Miyata casings for the brake cables. So, the search continues for a suitable front or rear wheel.
Are there any bicycle coops or used bike emporiums in Calgary? That would be a good place to look for the 700C FW 126 OLD hub rear wheel. There are plenty where I volunteer in Seattle.
Old 08-29-23, 06:01 PM
H2Rick

Dfrost: Yep, I've tried the 2 that are in Calgary and no luck. Miyatas were not widely distributed/sold in Canada back in the day with the main markets being Vancouver BC, Toronto ON and Montreal QC. Those 3 cities were quite large even in the 1980's so marketing was easier for the Miyata distributor, whoever that was. This particular bike was originally bought in Vancouver.
Because of the lack of distribution in the smaller cities in Canada at that time, there are zero to very few Miyatas in those smaller cities for parts, sadly. I know that if I was in metro Phoenix where we used to spend our winters, I'd have a lot better chance of finding what I need.
Old 08-30-23, 01:22 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by H2Rick
Dfrost: Yep, I've tried the 2 that are in Calgary and no luck. Miyatas were not widely distributed/sold in Canada back in the day with the main markets being Vancouver BC, Toronto ON and Montreal QC. Those 3 cities were quite large even in the 1980's so marketing was easier for the Miyata distributor, whoever that was. This particular bike was originally bought in Vancouver.
Because of the lack of distribution in the smaller cities in Canada at that time, there are zero to very few Miyatas in those smaller cities for parts, sadly. I know that if I was in metro Phoenix where we used to spend our winters, I'd have a lot better chance of finding what I need.
Doesn’t have to be a wheel from a Miyata. But you probably won’t find a matching Araya 700C rim. H+Sons tb14 are quite similar in shape and looks, widely available and excellent quality, but might be an order item situation.

My ‘79 912 bought new had Shimano 6-speed Uniglide (first use of a cassette I’d experienced) hub, Araya 27” rims originally. Now 44 years, and a series of major updates later, it has a Shimano 8-speed 600 tricolor cassette hub and H+Sons 700C rims.

BTW, I seriously doubt the previous owner replaced 700C for 27” for more speed, probably just needed something to inexpensively replace a damaged wheel.

Last edited by Dfrost; 08-30-23 at 01:30 AM.
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 08-31-23, 07:55 AM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 118 Posts
I've had my 1981 710 from new and swapped out the 27"Araya rims for 700c Wolbers. One of those cracked and it was replaced with a hard anodized Campy rim. So those are mismatched. I think I still have the stock 6 speed Suntour FW on it. I used to race it, so I had a second set of tubular wheels with a corn cob. I don't know what happened to those wheels but I still have the corn cob. The 710 is one of those bikes I won't part with.