Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bib differences

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-24, 02:23 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
One last question before I pull out my credit card.
What do y’all think of the Primal Eco bib shorts?
What about their Helix?

I am confused by their fit guide. I pick what O think is my size but they have 4 fit styles- relaxed, standard, slim and elite.

How accurate is their size chart? Going by the chart I would need XXL but the XXXL seems more like it would fit.

Last edited by pepperbelly; 03-26-24 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-26-24, 04:11 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I ordered the Helix. They were on sale for $80.00. Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon Helix was originally $170.00 so they should be a step up from my basic Black Bibs.
Old 03-27-24, 02:15 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I am confused by their fit guide. I pick what O think is my size but they have 4 fit styles- relaxed, standard, slim and elite.

How accurate is their size chart? Going by the chart I would need XXL but the XXXL seems more like it would fit.
The size chart is spot on to me. For jerseys, probably focus on the weight range if you have a gut, and on the chest measurement if you're thin. The fit guide tells you how each will feel within that size: relaxed will be loose, standard will have some room but not enough to flap around excessively, slim will be tight and not flap around, elite will be skin tight. I made the mistake of ordering a standard fit one size down to make it feel like a slim fit, but that turned out to be too short and rather tight in the gut while still loose in the arms. So probably best to just find a jersey in the fit you prefer. Bibs really only have one fit, although they do seem to have different inseams if that's a big concern for you.
I ordered the Helix. They were on sale for $80.00. Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon Helix was originally $170.00 so they should be a step up from my basic Black Bibs.
That's apparently their second best chamois, at a price to compete with the off brand companies. I just couldn't bring myself to risk people striking up a conversation about an album I just couldn't grow to like.
Old 03-27-24, 06:21 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
That's apparently their second best chamois, at a price to compete with the off brand companies. I just couldn't bring myself to risk people striking up a conversation about an album I just couldn't grow to like.
Have you tried Wish You Were Here?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-27-24, 07:34 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
I have one pair of Black Bibs. I like them but I have nothing to compare them to. I am trying to decide between anither one or 2 of them or a Primal.

It's funny, I also run the Black Bibs and found their Ultimate Adventure bibs, much more comfortable for me than the non adventure Ultimate Bibs, which I believe run the same padding and such, but the Adventure bibs just add some pockets, but for whatever the reason, they work better for me. I also like several version of Louis Garneau sensor bibs, but their pricing has gotten stupid, but have really come to like the pockets and they do not make bibs with pockets, so for now, will stay with the black bibs.

Old 03-27-24, 09:16 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Koyote
Have you tried Wish You Were Here?
I have now (thank you) and it’s much more my style, though it should be noticed that the Primal Wear bibs referenced in this thread are specifically Dark Side of the Moon.
Old 03-27-24, 09:39 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I have now (thank you) and it’s much more my style, though it should be noticed that the Primal Wear bibs referenced in this thread are specifically Dark Side of the Moon.
I’m not buying the bibs and jersey because of the logo. I am 65 and really too old to care what people think about what I wear.
I got some good kit at a very good price. The bobs I paid $80 for are usually $170. In fact that bob without the logo is still $170.
Old 03-27-24, 08:44 PM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the $40 bibs from theblackbibs-dot-com. I have one pair of their "Black Bibs Plus" and one pair of their "Black Bibs Ultimate" in addition to 4-6 pair of their regular $40 "Black Bibs".

I'm a big guy - 6'-1" and 225-230 lbs. I ride 7k+ annually, almost all on these bibs. I have other more expensive bibs from other companies. I rarely wear them. I've ridden 67 centuries in the past 4 years, all with my "Black Bibs" - no problems.

Just thankful I found something that works for my posterior!

Gary
Likes For BrazAd:
Old 03-28-24, 07:34 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by BrazAd
I'm a huge fan of the $40 bibs from theblackbibs-dot-com. I have one pair of their "Black Bibs Plus" and one pair of their "Black Bibs Ultimate" in addition to 4-6 pair of their regular $40 "Black Bibs".
I would think the leg bands alone would make you like the Plus bibs more than the basic bibs. Its 2024- new bibs shouldnt still be made with a thin folded over leg seam(and especially not with a thick silicone band).
Old 03-28-24, 08:05 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

I’m not buying the bibs and jersey because of the logo. I am 65 and really too old to care what people think about what I wear.
I got some good kit at a very good price. The bobs I paid $80 for are usually $170. In fact that bob without the logo is still $170.
Yeah I get it. I considered getting them because the graphics are subtle enough to match any jersey. I'm not worried about what people think either, but I just don't feel like people coming up and asking "what's your favorite song on that album?" so I can answer "None of them, I just got a good deal on the shorts". I have definitely gone up to someone wearing a Led Zeppelin t-shirt and asked them what their favorite song was, and it got awkward when the person answered, "Is that what this is? A band? I just saw the shirt at Target and liked it"
Old 03-29-24, 04:27 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Yeah I get it. I considered getting them because the graphics are subtle enough to match any jersey. I'm not worried about what people think either, but I just don't feel like people coming up and asking "what's your favorite song on that album?" so I can answer "None of them, I just got a good deal on the shorts". I have definitely gone up to someone wearing a Led Zeppelin t-shirt and asked them what their favorite song was, and it got awkward when the person answered, "Is that what this is? A band? I just saw the shirt at Target and liked it"
Yeah, I wouldn’t wear anything printed up with album art that I didn’t actually like. If I saw someone riding in those I would definitely assume they were Pink Floyd fans.
Likes For PeteHski: