Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Odd chain failure

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Odd chain failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-24, 04:26 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Odd chain failure

I’ve been waxing my chains for the past 4 or 5 years and rotate 2 chains per bike. I have a 3x9 bike and a 2x10 bike. On the 3x9 I was running a 9-speed Taya chain and a Campagnolo C-9 chain. I was having some odd random mis-shifts under load (climbing). Mis-shifts where the chain slips off the cassette cog while seated climbing and applying torque is disturbing though not necessarily ride ending. I visually checked the rear derailleur before yesterday’s ride and realized that my Taya chain had side plate angling off axis causing it to chirp and jump on the cassette cogs in a crappy way. The chain only measures 0.25% stretch but I’m quite certain it is toast.
I can provide a photo (later today) but was wondering if anyone else had to replace a chain that maybe did not test as worn out in the normal way but was bad due to not tracking straight and showing side plate flex. This issue might be magnified since the residual chain wax seems to work it’s way in the flexy links exaggerating the issue.
Old 03-27-24, 07:09 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Side plate angling off what axis? Are you saying it is falling off the end of the pin and about the fail? If so, remove that side plate and substitute a quick link. Failing pins are not a normal part of wear and tear.
Old 03-27-24, 07:29 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
I'm guessing here, but with all those gears front and back, you are asking a lot of your chains. They need to drive the bike properly and move quite a distance laterally while also not having a lot of room for beefy side plates. It sounds to me from your description that you are wearing through the side plates of your chain before you wear through the rollers.
Old 03-27-24, 07:53 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by Kontact
Side plate angling off what axis? Are you saying it is falling off the end of the pin and about the fail? If so, remove that side plate and substitute a quick link. Failing pins are not a normal part of wear and tear.
Multiple side plates are angling off axis like the chain got damaged and torqued so that it no longer tracks straight. Like when you install a waxed chain it is usually straight but this one is twisted and on more than just one link. I will try to photograph what I'm talking about later (I'm at work right now).
Old 03-27-24, 08:15 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
The usual reason why a outer side plate is "sliding" off the pin's end is because of a shift under too much power for the pin's end peening to retain that plate. the prying/twisting forces a chain sees when shifting can be very high (and thus all the claims of chain "strength" which is really how much force the side plate can take before coming off the pin). The greater the power during the shift the greater the forces, the larger the tooth count difference between the two sprockets involved the greater the forces and the crank's rings generally have that bigger size difference. Add in the vastly more simple chain control the ft der cage has compared to the rear der and that SO MANY riders really don't use better (let alone best) shifting techniques and it's no surprise to me that some chains suffer.

Short term solution is to replace the offending link with a connecting one. Long term solution is to not shift under so much load. Andy

I should add that most chains will have some minor "snaking" along their lengths that can be seen when installed and freely backpedaling. This is nearly never enough to mater to wear, performance or reliability.

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 03-27-24 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-27-24, 11:11 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The usual reason why a outer side plate is "sliding" off the pin's end is because of a shift under too much power for the pin's end peening to retain that plate. the prying/twisting forces a chain sees when shifting can be very high (and thus all the claims of chain "strength" which is really how much force the side plate can take before coming off the pin). The greater the power during the shift the greater the forces, the larger the tooth count difference between the two sprockets involved the greater the forces and the crank's rings generally have that bigger size difference. Add in the vastly more simple chain control the ft der cage has compared to the rear der and that SO MANY riders really don't use better (let alone best) shifting techniques and it's no surprise to me that some chains suffer.

Short term solution is to replace the offending link with a connecting one. Long term solution is to not shift under so much load. Andy

I should add that most chains will have some minor "snaking" along their lengths that can be seen when installed and freely backpedaling. This is nearly never enough to mater to wear, performance or reliability.
Thanks Andy, I've never run into this so I was a little baffled and I thought I'd ridden enough to see everything. But power shifting FDs I don't do and never have. So, this brings up the solution that works. DT shifters. That's right. Down tube shifters where you HAVE to take one hand off the handlebars to shift, limiting your power a lot.

I've read that indexing and brifters have lead to shifting that is far more abusive in several aspects of the lives of cranksets, FDs and chains. Of course, racers love it. But the old words of the vets to the new racers of my day are still words the front ends of drivetrains love to hear. "Back off when you shift. Always."
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-27-24, 11:29 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I'm guessing here, but with all those gears front and back, you are asking a lot of your chains. They need to drive the bike properly and move quite a distance laterally while also not having a lot of room for beefy side plates. It sounds to me from your description that you are wearing through the side plates of your chain before you wear through the rollers.
Only if you cross chain, other than that, when done properly, a 3x9 is easier on a chain than a 1x10 in his case. On mine, I use the inner two cogs in the rear with the inner chainwheel up front. The outer ring up front is used with the two or three outer cogs in back, and the middle ring up front can be used by all, but is best in the middle range of the rear.
Likes For phughes:
Old 03-27-24, 11:31 AM
masi61

Just a clarification: while I do stand to climb some on steep hills, I don't consider myself hard on my equipment nor am I a powerful masher. Yes, I do weigh ~195#. Also the pins do not appear to be out of place on the side plates, just that some of the side plates are angled and not in line the the cassette cog teeth leading for noise at the cassette or worst case: leading to the chain coming off the cog teeth when under load.

Also: I for the most part avoid cross chaining.
Likes For masi61:
Old 03-27-24, 12:27 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
No!
Old 03-27-24, 12:36 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Photos?

Ben- I agree with the introduction of indexing the shifting is often more abusive. Although I think it's the teeth profiling and lift pins that are more to blame as they aid the ability to get away with loaded shifting (and sometimes not even know it). For the first dozen or so years of my wrenching the incident of chain side plate pull off failures was pretty small and often helped by poor technique when pressing the pin (remember back then one was to reuse the OEM pin) back in. But by the midish 1980s the chain breakage numbers grew a lot as indexing was starting to take over the market but the supply chain (pun) still had pre peening chain pins designs on the shelves. The next wave (sort of) of chain failures was many not assembling their Shimano chains with their specific reassembly pin (that compensates for the bigger hole that the peened end pin punches through the side plate on removal) or doing so properly. I think this is where SRAM, KMC, et al, found their footing with their connecting link proving to be less likely to be misused. Andy
Old 03-28-24, 04:45 PM
masi61

Not sure if you can see this or not but the outer bank of links is twisted and angled weird.
Old 03-30-24, 02:18 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61

Not sure if you can see this or not but the outer bank of links is twisted and angled weird.
I see it, rightmost vertical string, I think twist is all from the 4th link from the bottom. All the links are flat, then they are all twisted at the same angle. 4th or 5th link.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 03-30-24, 08:43 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61

The circled link? It looks twisted. This can often happens if you tear the derailer off the frame. It may happen during a forced shift. If you had the chain looped on itself when you removed it and put too much pressure on the chain to unwind a loop, you may have twisted it as well. On the bike, you can see a twist as it goes through the rear derailer.

The chain is toast.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-30-24, 09:56 AM
masi61

Thanks for confirming. I think it happened during a forced shift.
Old 03-30-24, 10:00 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
yup, something got bent. just replace it, trying to repair will only lead to frustration.

/markp
Likes For mpetry912: