Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring Bicyclists' Professions

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring Bicyclists' Professions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-08, 12:38 PM
ronzorini
Leather and Canvas Fetish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Graphic designer for 20+ years...

Re-born as a bicycle bag maker (along with my wife).

Started out enjoying design as a "craft". Then came computers and staring at a screen all day. Now I'm back to using my hands...glad I kept my X-acto knife and T-square!

Last edited by ronzorini; 04-02-08 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-02-08, 12:49 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
web developer who happens to have worked at the same company for almost 6 years. I get about 5 weeks of vacation a year so that helps. Most of my trips are not longer than two weeks. Some day I hope to take two months and do a cross country trip though.
Old 04-02-08, 01:23 PM
Black Shuck
cycling n00b

Bikes: EAI Brassknuckle fixed Sannino fixed, Thorn Club Tour, Soma Smoothie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Except for all the blue collar professions. Where are all the factory workers, labourers, truck drivers, construction workers, oil riggers, etc., etc.??
I'm here :-)

I work with injection molding machines, producing plumbing components and such in thermoplastics.
Old 04-02-08, 06:15 PM
tulip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
urban planner
Old 04-02-08, 10:11 PM
brotherdan
This user is a pipebomb

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2001, GT ZR3000 2001, Raleigh One Way 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedo
Oh, sorry, that's my dream life...
There's a folky chick group called the "Ditty Bops" that did a national tour by bicycle a couple of summers ago. They kept all of their instruments in a sag wagon and cruised from the west coast to the east, stopping to play shows along the way. Sounded like a pretty cool tour. Would have been even better without the SAG, in my opinion, but that's just me.
Old 04-03-08, 07:39 AM
toodman
Aging Gearhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Transportation/Urban Planner pretending to be a Legislative Analyst (or vice versa).
Old 04-03-08, 10:15 AM
FCBrian
Bikerider

Bikes: Specialized S-Works E5, Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Pro, Schwinn Continental single speed, Dyno cruiser, Columbia tandem cruiser, Miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Non-profit director. 4 weeks vacation. More work in the winter = less work in the summer!

b
Old 04-04-08, 08:22 AM
jcbryan

Bikes: Trek 520, C-Dale Superbe Pro, Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flyer,
What are you specializing in? Need a job in 18 months? PM me.
We need more cyclists!!! THe engineering part helps too.

John

Originally Posted by flyingcadet
For the next 12 months, Professional Student working on my BS in Electrical Engineering. After that, most likely 6 months of unemployment (a trend I've noticed with our graduates).

Then I get a job, somewhere.

flyingcadet
Old 04-04-08, 12:39 PM
climbhoser

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck; '91 Cannondale 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wholesale financial products to Registered Representatives. Funny, I don't really sell anything, except an idea. The idea is that the rep sends all of YOUR money to me.

It's pretty laid back, I work 40 hours a week and no more. I ride my bike 40 miles a day on my round trip commute and on weekends I have the spendage to do as I please, like take off for two days. Not much time off, only about 3 weeks a year right now, but lots of opportunity for more.

Right now I have a 1 year old that holds me back from touring more than work, though!
Old 04-04-08, 11:15 PM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
USAF aerial photographer. I get a few weeks off at a time...whenever I'm home and can carve out the time.
Old 04-05-08, 06:23 AM
lubers

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Cannondale ST400, Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Currently helping in rebuilding a old barn and looking for a job, laid off warehouse coordinator.

Trek 930
1988 Cannondale ST400
Old 04-06-08, 08:54 AM
teamcompi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DMD, small town dentist. I usually take a couple of months a year to tour. Its a good life. Its a really good life when you tour.
Old 04-06-08, 12:44 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Spent this decade in the parts departments of local motorcycle dealerships: Was the parts manager for the Ducati dealership (since gone bankrupt), now working as a staffer in a Honda shop.

Last decade I was self-employed: Reenactment Sutler, specializing in 16th and 17th century, mostly early American colonies and English Civil War.

Typical, mundane two weeks a year vacation, normally work Tuesday through Saturday, so I do a lot of two-day rides.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 04-07-08, 01:21 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Automotive machinist for the last 33 years.
Old 04-08-08, 12:31 AM
jakuma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Developer funded archaeology in the UK.
Old 04-08-08, 08:40 AM
Losligato
VWVagabonds.com

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to admit, I love this tread!

The question, "What do you do for a living?" means "Who are you?" for far too many people. It is wonderful to see that concept flipped on its head and read how others pay for their adventures.

Lately we've been focusing on both sides of the equation to prepare for our next big trip. Expenses were lowered to near-zero levels when we accepted a position as Apartment Managers for a small complex after returning home from Asia. Rent, utilities, and Internet are all included.

That means virtually all of our income flows into the trip fund. Sales of our book have been inexplicably good lately. We've opened an ebay store where we sell a variety of second-hand cycling, running, and outdoor gear. Amanda is working on her Pilates and Yoga certifications while I lay the groundwork for our next book.

When we begin to feel pressure from others it is important that we remain mindful of the formula:

Income - Expenses = The money to buy the freedom to do what we want

Temptations to spend (mobile phones, cable television, an expensive restaurant meal, a big home) serve as lures, pulling us back toward those people we used to be, the ones who equated what we did to earn money with who we were.

Last edited by Losligato; 04-08-08 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-09-08, 01:14 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
It's a means to an end, Losligato. But unfortunately, as you observe, for many people, the end becomes "ends" with so many things vying for priority to spend the income that touring drops further and further down the agenda.

I work to go touring, but I also work to enjoy bicycles. That includes building them and exploring my own neighbourhood (which is a pretty big one).

I have reduced my living expenses to a minimum where I can, and I can plan at least one month-long trip overseas a year (if I so desire). I don't own a motor vehicle and that is a huge start in saving money for travel.

And after careers that have led me to meet prime ministers and move in high circles, as well as to promote cycling for a living, all I am these days is a humble orchard worker... a blue collar worker who enjoys the simple country life and outdoors, and who doesn't miss the city and its people one bit.
Old 04-09-08, 07:25 AM
JoeLonghair

Bikes: Thorn Club Thorn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Supply shops in the UK with Alloy Wheels, Tyres, Body kit & suspension systems, all after market stuff. The good thing is my wife works in my company and really does not like flying, long train journeys and only cycles around the corner, so she is quite happy running the company, my customers rather speak to her than me, too grumpy, which suites me fine