Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Best integrated brake lever/shifter for a 9 speed bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-22, 12:39 PM
NotSoMechanic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster....(nervous chuckle).

Ok, in an attempt to improve my bike mechanic-ery I asked my neighbor if he wanted me to fix up 2 of his bikes (since I have fixed all my bikes now). I need a recommendation for a good integrated brake lever/shifter set for a 9 speed. Currently it has Shimano 105 flight deck levers. I am fine with replacing the levers with a new set of these, but on a preliminary google search they don't seem super......available?

I am trying to keep the levers under $100 if possible, but still want to stick with Shimano. I have never replaced integrated levers, so if you have any suggestions about what I should be looking out for, what normally goes wrong?

Help me knowledgeably and masterful bikeforum!
Old 01-31-22, 01:07 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
Can we assume that the definitely need to be replaced, and not fixed? Lots of advice on this forum about how to flush ones that are sticky and recalcitrant.

If replacement is in order, look at Microshift. Shimano compatible, well reviewed, available new.

You can also still find Shimano Sora 9 speed shifters -either new or lightly used- that will work just fine for around $100.
Old 01-31-22, 01:16 PM
NotSoMechanic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Can we assume that the definitely need to be replaced, and not fixed? Lots of advice on this forum about how to flush ones that are sticky and recalcitrant.

If replacement is in order, look at Microshift. Shimano compatible, well reviewed, available new.

You can also still find Shimano Sora 9 speed shifters -either new or lightly used- that will work just fine for around $100.

Thanks for responding!

I would say they definitely don't need to be replaced, the hood covers need to be replaced and there is a piece missing on one lever. I asked him what he wanted to do, I said that bike would be fine with just a tune up and he wants to replace the brake levers. I think they could be spruced up and plan on keeping them, since he said he wanted them to be replaced. Maybe when he sees how expensive a replacement is he will change his mind?

By the way, I guess I didn't mention, its a 3 x 9 speed

I also did see the Sora for the 3 x 9, I assume they are pretty good for Shimano's mid-tier? In further searching I am definitely not able to find 105's for anything smaller than 11 speed :'(

I did see microshifters listed on some articles of recommendations. I had never heard of the brand so I wasn't sure about them. I thought it might be the best idea to keep everything Shimano, but now I am not so sure.

Last edited by NotSoMechanic; 01-31-22 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph
Old 01-31-22, 01:38 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Shimano 105 5500 9 speed shifters have been out of production since the introduction of 105 5600 10 speed shifters in 2005
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 01-31-22, 01:42 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
I don't have any brifter recommendations. But down-tube, bar-end, and Gevenalle shifters (they're almost brifters) are other options that will work with 3x9 and last the life of the bike.
Old 01-31-22, 01:47 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I like the Gevenalle brake/shifters for their simplicity and ruggedness, and they offer an economical repair service if you do manage to break them. Remember they were developed for 'cross racing.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 01-31-22, 02:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
You are unlikely to find anything of quality in 9 speed these days in integrated brakes and shifters. However you will find the lower end stuff which is an option but dsbrantjr 's suggestion of Gevenalle is the best idea. Very reliable and easy to replace stuff and way better shifting.

Keep in mind 9 speed is rather old equipment so that is why finding more quality stuff is hard to get unless used or some NOS stuff someone has hidden away.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-31-22, 02:54 PM
NotSoMechanic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it's unfortunate. I don't like when things become obsolete via the market. I did find a nice set of shimano sora for 9 speed on ebay.

I wonder if it would be worth replacing the cassette? But that is a lot more effort than I think he or I are committed to
Old 01-31-22, 05:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by NotSoMechanic
Yeah, it's unfortunate. I don't like when things become obsolete via the market. I did find a nice set of shimano sora for 9 speed on ebay.

I wonder if it would be worth replacing the cassette? But that is a lot more effort than I think he or I are committed to
To Replace Cassette and chain you would need a new derailleur as well as new shifters assuming we are talking about an upgrade in speeds. 9 speed was the last bastion of road and mountain working together and everything being easy to deal with once we hit 10 and 11 things splintered off so the older tech isn't going to work very well and the new tech has to match up.

Keep in mind the Shimano Heirarchy for their road group sets from the bottom of the dumpster on up is Tourney, Claris, Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace at the top and for Mountain Bikes it is Tourney, Altus, Acera, Alivio, Deore, SLX, Deore XT, XTR and at the top.
Old 01-31-22, 05:57 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Originally Posted by veganbikes
To Replace Cassette and chain you would need a new derailleur as well as new shifters assuming we are talking about an upgrade in speeds. 9 speed was the last bastion of road and mountain working together and everything being easy to deal with once we hit 10 and 11 things splintered off so the older tech isn't going to work very well and the new tech has to match up.
Shimano 10S road is the same rear derailer as 7/8/9. Shimano 10S MTB was a different rear derailer.

Of course, the shifter/cassette/chain are all speed-specific.
Old 01-31-22, 06:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by FastJake
Shimano 10S road is the same rear derailer as 7/8/9. Shimano 10S MTB was a different rear derailer.

Of course, the shifter/cassette/chain are all speed-specific.
Not the same derailleur but same ratio and a close enough cable pull.
Old 02-01-22, 06:47 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If you need shifters, just buy Microshift 9 speed integrated shifters.

I would like to try Gevenalle one day, but you’ll not find any for less than $100. And, the shift levers are Microshift, which you’ll have to buy.

Basically you are buying the most expensive downtube shifter mounts ever produced and inexpensive Tektro brake levers with a hole in them.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 02-01-22 at 06:58 AM.
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 02-01-22, 08:21 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Not the same derailleur but same ratio and a close enough cable pull.
I slightly misread your earlier post. "9 speed was the last bastion of road and mountain working together" is correct because Shimano 10S MTB is completely different.

But, as I said before, a Shimano 10S road rear derailer is the same as 7/8/9. No it's not literally the same part, they change the appearance every time... But it's exactly the same shift ratio. Meaning you could upgrade your 9S road bike to 10S by changing the shifter, cassette, and chain, but keeping the rear derailer.
Likes For FastJake:
Old 02-02-22, 05:52 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by NotSoMechanic

Why do you think the cassette needs replacing?

If your "customer" wants new shift/brake levers, get Microshift and be done with it. There will then be no need to replace the rear derailleur unless it is broken. Replace the chain and/or cassette only if you think they need it. When you're working on a friend's bike, you probably want to make sure the braking system is good.

Last edited by Camilo; 02-02-22 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-02-22, 07:45 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
suntour command shifters ....specifically modified to run as purely friction