Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What type of grease do I need? Does it matter?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-18, 09:58 PM
JohnFyf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just took apart my suspension fork on my mountain bike, and the spring is in need of new grease. This came off a 2014 Trek 3500 Series 3.

I noticed that there was only one coil, don't know if that's normal. Which grease would I need for it, and what type of degreaser should I use to clean it? Does it need oil too, or is that for air shocks?
Old 01-22-18, 09:04 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Liked 633 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnFyf
Which grease would I need for it, and what type of degreaser should I use to clean it? Does it need oil too, or is that for air shocks?
First look for technical documents from Trek... there may your answers be found.

Degreaser: mineral spirits (or kerosene as second choice).
Steve
Old 01-22-18, 10:08 PM
JohnFyf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have took a look, and it only says to lubricate the sleeves, seals, and re-grease after 100 hours. Mostly it's saying to take it to a bike shop mechanic instead of informing what to use, but over here they charge $60 to service a fork, $35 just to install one.
Old 01-22-18, 10:13 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 3,490 Times in 1,916 Posts
No need to degrease, simply rag clean it as well as possible.

Any grease of comparable viscosity is fine, but you want to be careful about plastic or rubber seals. So, look for something formulated to be compatible. Specialty O-ring greases may be right, but are expensive and may not be necessary.

Lastly, if you ride in the winter, you'll want a grease formulated to be OK in the cold. Otherwise, many greases can stiffen significantly and affect the ride.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-22-18, 11:29 PM
JohnFyf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Should marine grease be fine? There is wd40 type and liquid wrench type but I'm quite sure they are all the same hopefully.
Old 01-23-18, 06:34 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Liked 56 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnFyf
I have took a look, and it only says to lubricate the sleeves, seals, and re-grease after 100 hours. Mostly it's saying to take it to a bike shop mechanic instead of informing what to use, but over here they charge $60 to service a fork, $35 just to install one.
Is your fork a Suntour? There are some service videos, including one on replacing the spring at this link:

Tech Videos - SR SUNTOUR Cycling

I don't think it matters much what grease you put on the spring. You just want something that will stay in place to lubricate the spring against the inside of the stanchion. I would just use whatever bicycle grease I had on hand.

If you have removed the stanchions from the fork lowers, then you should grease the seals when reassembling. For that I like to use Slick Honey.

Most forks will take some bath oil in the lowers. That's to slosh around and keep the stanchions and bushings lubricated.

Some brands (like Rockshox) are good about posting detailed service manuals for their forks, at least for the more expensive ones.

BTW, you asked about the spring being only on the one side. That's common. It's typical to see a spring (air or coil) on one side, and a damper assembly on the other.
Old 01-23-18, 09:20 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
SRAM Butter for forks. Parks Poly 1000 for assemblies. Bel Ray Marine grease for bearings. Amalie hi-temp for coaster brakes.
Old 01-23-18, 01:23 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
Amalie hi-temp for coaster brakes.
Amalie

Operating range: -40f to +350f
Dropping point: +500f

-----------------------------------------------------

Red Line CV2

Operating range: -100f to +500f
Dropping point: +900f

----------------------------------------------------

Plus..... it's RED

You are welcome.

Old 01-23-18, 05:38 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Amalie

Operating range: -40f to +350f
Dropping point: +500f

-----------------------------------------------------

Red Line CV2

Operating range: -100f to +500f
Dropping point: +900f

Plus..... it's RED

You are welcome.
That grease shur is purty. Where would a feller git that thar grease, bwah? I use the Amalie because its what I have on hand.
Old 01-23-18, 05:50 PM
JohnFyf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-23-18, 07:08 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by NoControl
That grease shur is purty. Where would a feller git that thar grease, bwah? I use the Amalie because its what I have on hand.
You can get it almost everywhere. Very common at many auto parts places. Amazon, etc. A bunch of big snazzy car race teams use it.

I've been on a grease research and testing binge for a couple years now. I found this grease made by White Lighning that got me all excited because it was Crystal Clear. Literally. NO odor. NONE. Biodegradable. Claims to be 100% waterproof. And a HIGH drop point for the coasters. I figured it would be great for showing contamination. It is actually a very good grease. But what attracted me to it turned out to be it's downfall. Because it's 100% crystal clear, it's a pain in the butt to work with. It's difficult to see if you have applied enough, or not enough, or too much. Placing loose balls is weird because there is no background color for context. Silver ball against a silver race, Is it where it should be? I can't tell. Cleanup was a pain because you cant see which part of the rag is contaminated so you end up using the greasy side to clean something. You don't readily spot any excess that has oozed from a seal, so you are always bumping into it. UGH! I need colored grease!!!

But......opaque greases are easy to lose sight of loose balls that become submerged. The hunt was on. I needed a translucent grease so that I can accurately position balls. It needed a color, so that I can see how much I've applied. I need a light color so I can see through it and to easily spot contamination. And it needs to be a FAST color so I dig smearing it all over stuff. But it can't cost nine million dollars like Dura-Ace grease.

Voila! I found it. Made in Switzerland by tall, blonde, long legged super model scientists.

Introducing Motorex 2000.

How's that for sexy?

My bikes are twice as fast now.

Old 01-23-18, 08:00 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

You can get it almost everywhere. Very common at many auto parts places. Amazon, etc. A bunch of big snazzy car race teams use it.

I've been on a grease research and testing binge for a couple years now. I found this grease made by White Lighning that got me all excited because it was Crystal Clear. Literally. NO odor. NONE. Biodegradable. Claims to be 100% waterproof. And a HIGH drop point for the coasters. I figured it would be great for showing contamination. It is actually a very good grease. But what attracted me to it turned out to be it's downfall. Because it's 100% crystal clear, it's a pain in the butt to work with. It's difficult to see if you have applied enough, or not enough, or too much. Placing loose balls is weird because there is no background color for context. Silver ball against a silver race, Is it where it should be? I can't tell. Cleanup was a pain because you cant see which part of the rag is contaminated so you end up using the greasy side to clean something. You don't readily spot any excess that has oozed from a seal, so you are always bumping into it. UGH! I need colored grease!!!

But......opaque greases are easy to lose sight of loose balls that become submerged. The hunt was on. I needed a translucent grease so that I can accurately position balls. It needed a color, so that I can see how much I've applied. I need a light color so I can see through it and to easily spot contamination. And it needs to be a FAST color so I dig smearing it all over stuff. But it can't cost nine million dollars like Dura-Ace grease.

Voila! I found it. Made in Switzerland by tall, blonde, long legged super model scientists.

Introducing Motorex 2000.

How's that for sexy?

My bikes are twice as fast now.

Good times, SP. You rock my world!
Old 01-23-18, 08:35 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Liked 161 Times in 98 Posts
SuperLube is good stuff; it's pure silicone grease, so no petroleum products to eat rubber or plastic parts. Wide temperature range; odor-free and non-toxic. It's even approved for use in food-processing equipment in case you want to convert your bike into a sausage grinder. ;-)
Old 01-23-18, 08:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,569 Times in 3,060 Posts
Old 01-24-18, 07:34 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
+1 on the Redline CV2 grease. Really good stuff and not ridiculously expensive. Bikes don't need much so a tub will last a long time.
Old 01-25-18, 01:53 PM
Fitness Rider
Trek FX Bikes

Bikes: 2018 & 2019 Trek FX S 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motorex Long Term Grease 2000

Over many years of riding, I have tried just about every grease that seemed to be a worthwhile candidate for use on bicycles and my hands down choice for quite some time has been Motorex Long Term Grease 2000. I have yet to find anything that performs better or lasts any longer on our bikes. Adheres wonderfully, resistant to water, provides corrosion and wear protection, has a claimed operating range of -30 to +120 degrees centigrade and is neutral in contact with elastomers and seals. I usually buy Motorex 2000 in the 850 gram tubes and is the only grease I recommend anymore.

Frank
Old 01-29-18, 12:49 AM
JohnFyf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am thinking about getting the Motorex grease. I've also heard good things about it. But can it be used on every part including suspension? That would be perfect if I only needed 1 type of grease instead of more.
Old 01-29-18, 08:45 AM
Fitness Rider
Trek FX Bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motorex Long Term Grease 2000

I would think that the Motorex 2000 could be used anyplace a grease would need to be applied on a bike with the exception of the freehub pawls and coaster brake applications. For the freehub pawls it would be a little thick and that is one place I have never tried it. The Motorex 2000 is claimed to be totally neutral with regard to elastomer degradation and provides excellent protection from water and corrosion. It is the only grease that I use and have used for quite some time. For the freehub I use the freehub grease made by Shimano.

I buy it in the 850 gram plastic tubs from Summit Racing however it is available from a number of suppliers in several different packaging options. It comes in the large tubs, grease gun cartridges, small little jars with a brush applicator, etc. Go to the Motorex web site and check out their documentation and data sheets on the product and see what you think. Motorex is a Swiss company and the products are made in Switzerland.

Frank

Last edited by Fitness Rider; 01-29-18 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-29-18, 01:52 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by Fitness Rider
I would think that the Motorex 2000 could be used anyplace a grease would need to be applied on a bike with the exception of the freehub pawls.
With a drop point under 300f, it's not suitable for coaster brake hubs.
Old 01-29-18, 03:16 PM
Fitness Rider
Trek FX Bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drop Point Temperature

With a drop point under 300f, it's not suitable for coaster brake hubs.
Point well taken, fortunately I do not have anything with a coaster brake (have not had a coaster brake bike for well over 55 years) on it but no doubt there are many out there that will have them or something similar that could create a great deal of heat, particularly on a steep or long down hill run.

I will file this information away in my memory bank for future reference. Thanks SquidPuppet ! !

Last edited by Fitness Rider; 01-29-18 at 05:13 PM.