Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fork creaks when braking

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Fork creaks when braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-23, 10:36 AM
HairyOnion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fork creaks when braking

Hi everyone,

I have a Boardman adv 8.9. My issue is when I use my front brake the fork makes a horrible creaking sound. When I look at the disc brake I notice there is a little bit of play with the fork with the caliper attached. when breaking the fork moves a little, the caliper and the disc are locked solid just the fork moves. What do you guys think? Does the problem lie with the fork or maybe the quick release?

Not me but a pic I found to show the bike.

Old 04-29-23, 10:52 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked 4,036 Times in 2,693 Posts
What have you done to rectify the issue? I would make sure your headset is is properly set up and all of your bolts are properly torqued to spec. If you can stand over the bike and close both brakes and rock back and forth it is a sign you need to address your headset and make sure everything is properly installed and tightened down.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-29-23, 11:12 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5809 Post(s)
Liked 2,635 Times in 1,462 Posts
Need more specific info.

You say the fork moves, but relative to what. Ie.

Does the fork move in the frame?
Does the wheel move in the fork?
Does the brake caliper move on the fork?

In other words what EXACTLY in moving? and relative to what?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-29-23, 11:26 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 536 Posts
try putting a shim washer under the crown race.

a quick test would be to add a few drips of oil to the gap between the fork crown and head tube.... the oil should reduce or eliminate the annoying squeak if that is the problem area...

another possibility is a loose fitting upper steering bearing where they seat into the frame....

and it might just be a need to re-set the headset preload... things wear a bit and "seat in" over time...
Old 04-29-23, 12:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6234 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 3,335 Posts
If you are seeing the movement between the fork and the headtube when you brake, then it's likely that the stem wasn't installed snug enough to the top of the headset or the top of the spacer or spacers that might be between it.

You say a creaking sound, so I assume that's just a brief sound and not a screech that I would call something that is longer in duration and shrill.

If it's a new bike, I'd take it back to the shop and let them do it. Just because they need to see that they didn't do it right the first time. So don't let your DIY self get in the way of that.
Old 04-29-23, 12:44 PM
HairyOnion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your responses

I tried making a video of the problems which forced me to view the problem area from multiple angles. I think I am wrong about the fork moving. It looked like it was, in relation to the disc brake. It looks more like the wheel skewer is moving 1-3mm within the dropouts.

Found this video that accurately describes the issue. I have opted for a new quick-release hoping this will solve the problem. The QR will arrive tomorrow, I will update after I attach them.

Old 04-29-23, 01:33 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6234 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 3,335 Posts
Well the bike you show in the first picture doesn't have skewers/QR's. It appears to be a thru-axle But if it does, then maybe you've found the issue.

If you have a center-lock hub and brake disc, then are you certain it's not just that the center-lock isn't loose and needs to be tightened? That might be where you see movement too with the brakes firmly applied and rocking back and forth. I actually had my rear center-lock loosen on the rear and it did make a sound that I might have described as a creak.

If you aren't exactly certain how all the parts of your bike fit together, then you can easily imagine something being the cause when you watch all these videos. But yet it not being the real cause.
Old 04-29-23, 01:45 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 536 Posts
Originally Posted by HairyOnion
Thanks for your responses

I tried making a video of the problems which forced me to view the problem area from multiple angles. I think I am wrong about the fork moving. It looked like it was, in relation to the disc brake. It looks more like the wheel skewer is moving 1-3mm within the dropouts.

Found this video that accurately describes the issue. I have opted for a new quick-release hoping this will solve the problem. The QR will arrive tomorrow, I will update after I attach them.

https://youtu.be/bFFEqsy5_M0?t=617
IF it is a through-axle and it's moving that much... YIKES! that would pretty much say that the Fork hole is ovalled... !
Was the cam lever in the open, or Closed position when you previously tightened the Axle?

"Wingnutting" QRs and Thru-axles can and will cause frame damage, missing teeth, and other scars.