Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Handlebars: Why don't I want what I think I want?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Handlebars: Why don't I want what I think I want?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-24, 09:15 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by One Wheel
These are excellent points. How much do you think the negatives could be mitigated with shallow but sharply flared drops? Maybe even close to flat? Something like this:
Different strokes for different folks. I think what you're describing is getting close to a mustache bar.

My personal favorite bar for all types of road riding is a squarish semi-compact made by Pro but discontinued a few years back. In 42 cm, because my shoulders are kinda broad. If I had any wishin' to do, it would be for Cinelli to re-release the Mod 63 in 42 cm for my vintage bike. They never did, so I have to use a 66.
Old 05-03-24, 09:24 AM
One Wheel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Different strokes for different folks. I think what you're describing is getting close to a mustache bar.
Close, except narrower "drops" at the ends, and a much longer reach from the center section. I haven't had a chance to set up my aero bars to mimic a narrow hoods position, but I'm inclined to be skeptical of the claim that narrow bars won't work out of the saddle.
Likes For One Wheel:
Old 05-03-24, 09:41 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 342 Posts
but I'm inclined to be skeptical of the claim that narrow bars won't work out of the saddle.
You can see for yourself with regular road bars. Start climbing a long hill, seated, with your hands on the tops. Now stand up without moving your hands.

I've done this for short intervals when I was too lazy to move my hands to the hoods.
Old 05-03-24, 10:14 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4548 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,112 Posts
First, because it's just not as elegant of a solution. Second, because I might find out somebody is already doing what I want (the Speeco ABB is pretty darn close). Third, because if people start talking about a potential product there's a chance that manufacturers might make it. If I only tell my cows about it then it's not gonna happen. Fourth, because maybe there's an actual good reason why nobody's making it, and I want to know that before I try to make a prototype.
My opinion is that your design is not at all elegant, and won't be produced. The point of the tops is to have a hand position while sitting up, and moving them so far back is going to interfere with the upper legs while climbing out of the saddle, and put your hands too close to both your body and the steering axis while seated. And all to provide a time trial position for breakaway efforts.

And they look terrible. Perhaps a better overall solution would carbon bars with an aero wing on the tops that is 12cm long, front to back.
Old 05-03-24, 10:33 AM
One Wheel

Originally Posted by Kontact
My opinion is that your design is not at all elegant, and won't be produced. The point of the tops is to have a hand position while sitting up, and moving them so far back is going to interfere with the upper legs while climbing out of the saddle, and put your hands too close to both your body and the steering axis while seated. And all to provide a time trial position for breakaway efforts.

And they look terrible. Perhaps a better overall solution would carbon bars with an aero wing on the tops that is 12cm long, front to back.
My proposal is more elegant than bolting extra bits onto existing bars. As far as looking terrible, so do men in spandex. Interference with the upper legs climbing out of the saddle is a big question
Old 05-03-24, 10:36 AM
Kontact

My proposal is more elegant than bolting extra bits onto existing bars. As far as looking terrible, so do men in spandex. Interference with the upper legs climbing out of the saddle is a big question
The "aero wing" would be part of the bar, not an add on.
Old 05-03-24, 10:50 AM
One Wheel

The "aero wing" would be part of the bar, not an add on.
When you mentioned adding something to the bar initially you had included a picture of something that clearly bolts on to the bar. That's why I was confused.
Old 05-03-24, 11:00 AM
Kontact

When you mentioned adding something to the bar initially you had included a picture of something that clearly bolts on to the bar. That's why I was confused.
Both are solutions. I was just pointing out that a speciality handlebar with a long wing would be generally more useful because it would keep the front edge of the tops in a more useful location.

Have you tried using an existing deep wing bar?

Old 05-03-24, 11:12 AM
One Wheel

Both are solutions. I was just pointing out that a speciality handlebar with a long wing would be generally more useful because it would keep the front edge of the tops in a more useful location.

Have you tried using an existing deep wing bar?

I have not. I'll have to give one a try. As far as putting the tops too far back: personally I hardly ever ride in the tops. With my current setup I'm riding about 95% on the hoods, and the remainder in the drops. I should probably get a bike fit, and figure out a setup that gives me more options.
Old 05-03-24, 11:15 AM
Kontact

I have not. I'll have to give one a try. As far as putting the tops too far back: personally I hardly ever ride in the tops. With my current setup I'm riding about 95% on the hoods, and the remainder in the drops. I should probably get a bike fit, and figure out a setup that gives me more options.
Why do you feel it is important to have the tops close to your elbows rather than mid-forearm when you rest against them?
Old 05-03-24, 11:17 AM
One Wheel

Why do you feel it is important to have the tops close to your elbows rather than mid-forearm when you rest against them?
Leverage. Closer to the elbow supports weight through the upper arm and shoulder, mid forearm puts the strain more on the triceps and back.
Old 05-06-24, 07:26 AM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 51 Posts
The thread grows longer, but still not a single mention of an actual goal that is driving the OP's desire for a handlebar that doesn't exist. I'm all for out-of-the-box thinking, innovative design, and thumbing your nose at the status quo when there is a tangible goal (Graeme Obree is a beautiful example); but I'm just not picking up what you're putting down. No worries, all good.
Old 05-06-24, 07:31 AM
One Wheel

Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
The thread grows longer, but still not a single mention of an actual goal that is driving the OP's desire for a handlebar that doesn't exist. I'm all for out-of-the-box thinking, innovative design, and thumbing your nose at the status quo when there is a tangible goal (Graeme Obree is a beautiful example); but I'm just not picking up what you're putting down. No worries, all good.
Simple: I want a comfortable, controllable, aerodynamic position on the bike.
Old 05-06-24, 11:18 AM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 51 Posts
Simple: I want a comfortable, controllable, aerodynamic position on the bike.
Now I definitely don't get it. But hey, different strokes for different folks.
Old 05-06-24, 11:26 AM
One Wheel

Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
Now I definitely don't get it. But hey, different strokes for different folks.
The standard breakaway position, with low torso and forearms level, is aerodynamic and controllable, but not comfortable. Adding support near the elbows adds comfort and control.