Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Chisholm Trail

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Chisholm Trail

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-21, 02:05 PM
Lambkin55

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Curcit is my main bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 36 Posts
Chisholm Trail

I'm thinking about a spring tour following the old Chisholm Trail from South Texas to Newton Kansas. The old cattle trail roughly follows US 81 the whole way. There is a fair amount of historical points of interest along the way. Some of it is open, sparse country but there are good sized towns spaced about right for a cheap motel to cheap motel tour.

Does anybody here have any input for such a trip? IF SO please share it...
Likes For Lambkin55:
Old 12-09-21, 11:39 PM
smudgy

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Surly Troll, Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 34 Posts
That sounds awesome. No valuable input, just questions. How far and how many days?
Old 12-10-21, 10:44 AM
clayton c

Bikes: touring bikes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I couldn't say much, but I'd still take full camping equipment. I was just looking at the Chisholm Trail map, looks pretty open to the weather conditions. Looks like it would be a great experience.
Old 12-10-21, 10:47 AM
zweitesmal2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I've not done precisely that route but have gone northbound and southbound quite often to and from San Antonio TX, where all my tours begin and end. Do you mean 281 out of south Texas? Or 181? I see 81 in Newton but couldn't follow it all the way down with a quick look just now. Hwy 281 goes all the way up to Canada, as does 83 (farther west). I've hammered northbound all the way up to Canada a few times and it was always fun, with a practically guaranteed tailwind the whole way. Southbound is a different story and can be difficult with most days being headwind days. My tours are summertime ending in fall. As far as accommodation there are small inexpensive independent motels everywhere, in most every town. Reservations not necessary (or even possible at times). I've zigzagged on all those rural state roads through that region and it was really cool, leaving you with a real sense of rural America, its towns, businesses and people. I prefer not to use any national chain stores or motels and have found plenty of diners and small supermarkets along the way. Taking a quick loop through each little town as you pedal by will really add to your trip. I hope you have a great tour.
Old 12-10-21, 10:48 AM
Lambkin55

Originally Posted by smudgy
That sounds awesome. No valuable input, just questions. How far and how many days?
I'm thinking about 700 miles over a 10-14 day period.
Old 12-10-21, 10:52 AM
Lambkin55

Originally Posted by clayton c
I couldn't say much, but I'd still take full camping equipment. I was just looking at the Chisholm Trail map, looks pretty open to the weather conditions. Looks like it would be a great experience.
Yeah, I always carry a tiny one-man tent and lightweight sleeping bag. (Most of my touring goes though "open" country at some point.)
I am hoping to avoid much of the weather problems in that part of the would by going in late April/Early May, after most of the spring storms.
Likes For Lambkin55:
Old 12-10-21, 11:00 AM
Lambkin55

Originally Posted by zweitesmal2
I've not done precisely that route but have gone northbound and southbound quite often to and from San Antonio TX, where all my tours begin and end. Do you mean 281 out of south Texas? Or 181? I see 81 in Newton but couldn't follow it all the way down with a quick look just now. Hwy 281 goes all the way up to Canada, as does 83 (farther west). I've hammered northbound all the way up to Canada a few times and it was always fun, with a practically guaranteed tailwind the whole way. Southbound is a different story and can be difficult with most days being headwind days. My tours are summertime ending in fall. As far as accommodation there are small inexpensive independent motels everywhere, in most every town. Reservations not necessary (or even possible at times). I've zigzagged on all those rural state roads through that region and it was really cool, leaving you with a real sense of rural America, its towns, businesses and people. I prefer not to use any national chain stores or motels and have found plenty of diners and small supermarkets along the way. Taking a quick loop through each little town as you pedal by will really add to your trip. I hope you have a great tour.
zweitsmal
First, you sound like my kine of guy!
In terms of US-81, there was a time that US-81 ran the whole length of Texas North To South. In the 80's or 90's they change the route numbers around and created 281 and 181. I am still looking at my options but my intention is to leave from San Antonio.
Your scouting report on the area is just what I was looking for! Thanks!!! (Kind of suspected what you shared.)
Your habits on tour sound a lot like mine.
I will look for you on the road. THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT INFO.
Old 12-10-21, 12:18 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
A few comments:
1. I've also done 281 up through to Dallas - as well as US 83 from Brownsville to the Canadian Border.
2. As far as US 281 goes:
- Entering San Antonio from the southbound is OK, but exiting San Antonio northbound, I would skip US 281 the immediate area from airport north and use smaller roads. There has been perennial construction, closed/non-existent shoulders. Where it isn't under construction, parts are major freeway. A few miles north of 1604 intersection the highway settles into configuration it has until DFW area - a mix of one lane each way with two lanes each way. Generally OK shoulders in places with one lane - and two lane with light enough traffic to enable passing. It is still a major highway with higher speed traffic, but I found it reasonable to cycle. I haven't continued beyond Stephenville.

3. As far as US 83 goes:
- Here were trip reports - https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/mev-route83-2018 and https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/route83-2018-part2
- It goes further west than you had proposed.
- Still a major highway, but on average less traffic than US 281. Some areas in Kansas/South Dakota/North Dakota potential alternate routes close by.
- Existing "Fans of Route 83" Facebook group and some books on the route as well as friendly community