Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Proteus Frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Proteus Frame

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-22, 07:02 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Originally Posted by ethebull
I'm the former Proteus employee, 1981-1993. Post some pix and I can offer some insight. ... never mind, i see them now. Must have looked at this quickly before that post above.

I am not sure what to make of your frame there. The decals are not what we did in house, Proteus never had engraved seat stay caps like those, The seat lug looks like a Prugnat S4 which we did use over many years of production, but the extra clamp ear reinforcement is very atypical, as are the suit of cards cutouts. We mostly did a mitered to a point seatstay attachment, and a good many fastback stays to a large machined binder. The Fork crown is late eighties Cinelli, but during my tenure, that's not one we used, though we sold them as an importer.

so... it is a "Proteus", but not one that came out of College Park MD from 1981-1993. Not sure where it originated.
Great reading the Proteus history and hearing from some other terrapins like KonAaron Snake
I was also a umcp student during that ear and remember College Park Bicycles also starting up biz and gawking at all the classic bikes that I could not afford. Lots of nice rides crusing the campus and I biked everywhere all the time, as did many of my dorm mates.
Old 03-19-22, 08:11 AM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
I've had one small US Proteus Century pass through my hands, and while your decals are a more modern style, can confirm all the details on your frame line up exactly - the seat stay points, the windowed lugs, RGF bb shell, campy dropouts, brake bridge details etc. I believe the CT part of s/n was for Century Touring

Originally Posted by Loose cog
Greetings all

I am hoping that Chris Riley (bikeriley); “ethebull” and a couple of the other Proteus fans are still linked to this thread after no posts for over a decade.

I am looking to establish if this Proteus Century model was produced in the US or in the UK and establish an age from the serial number.

The bike was purchased for the parts and is unfortunately too big for me. I am located in Johannesburg South Africa.

Here goes:

Constructed with Reynolds 531 butted tubes, stays and fork

Prugnat S/4 professional cut out lugs

RGF English thread bottom bracket

Campagnolo dropouts with eyelets and adjusters

27mm seat pin, removed a 3ttt post

Measures 58.5cm centre to top (57cm centre to centre) with 56cm top tube

Frame serial number CT673

The frame was found with Sugino Mighty BB and crank, Campagnolo NR brakes, Suntour bar-end shifters, 3ttt seat pin (saddle later junk), Tange Falcon headset and nice Japanese bar and stem.

Many thanks
Old 03-28-22, 10:20 AM
bikeriley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lovely old Proteus Century you have there. I would certainly think it was the genuine 70's American built article. They were beautiful frames and to have one that looks to be in original condition is brilliant. I might add that the lugs are certainly styled similarly to the Prugnat S4 model but the lines, curves and cutouts suggest one of the plethora of Bocama patterns that were manufactured back in the day. The frame certainly isn't a British built Proteus as appeared earlier in this thread. I was probably only 7 or eight years old when this particular frame was manufactured.
Likes For bikeriley:
Old 03-28-22, 02:26 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
I'm pretty confident that those are Haden lugs made in the UK. They were popular just before investment cast lugs became the norm around 1978 + -. I used a set making my wife a frame she helped with the process.
Old 04-04-22, 03:32 AM
Loose cog

Bikes: Colnago Mexico, Holdsworth, Zini, Alpina, Gemini, Colnago Master Pista, Colnago Master xLight, C40, Dream Lux, Vitus Dural 797, Vitus Carbone 3 KAS team replica, DHC, Viner, Vitesse, Alan, Bianchi, Cinelli, Paletti, Basso, Benotto, Dancelli, FW Evans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Thank you. I am certain my bike was USA made. Always intrigued to find a lesser known bike brand on our shores in South Africa. I found this bike together with a Bob Jackson which may have been owned by a German family who emigrated from South Africa a few months ago.
Old 04-13-22, 03:22 PM
downersdan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an MD Proteus bought from original owner (custom spec) in 1976. Raced and road till early 90s. Now planning to restore - new paint and build out w the same vintage Campag, Cinelli gear. Open to input & suggestions esp on authentic Proteus decals. Will paste pics but seems like I need more posts before I can. Chat me up!
Old 04-13-22, 03:28 PM
downersdan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More info, pre pics (need ten posts before I can share - grrr). Frame is ran Imron (original but beat up) and has slight slope to top tube, 23.0 in front, 23.5 at back. More in next post
Old 04-13-22, 03:32 PM
downersdan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Third. Gorgeous sloping fork crown, the curvy P lugs as discussed, etc. - all shows fine craftsmanship. Can’t wait to share.
Old 04-13-22, 03:32 PM
downersdan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any info on MD Proteus top builders of the day, circa 1974-5, plz share Thnx and more later