Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience with the Sea Sucker bike racks?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone have experience with the Sea Sucker bike racks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-13, 05:06 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fa63
Or maybe he doesn't care about scratching his Mercedes? Some people drive nice cars and not obsess over them, you know.
Not wanting to scratch it up isn't the same as obsessing over it, and he obviously does care judging by his subsequent post. The only time someone wouldn't care is if they didn't work hard to get it, and it has little value to them. What you say, however, does make sense. Someone who doesn't care about scratching up an S-class probably doesn't care much if their Dogma goes flying off on the highway. They'll probably just find a way for insurance to pick up the tab anyhow.
Old 07-28-13, 06:19 PM
Rewillia

Bikes: Road, mountain, cruiser, and e-bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am 58 years old, kids grown, well educated and on their ways. Wife and I been riding bikes since before we met and married 30 years ago. Both healthy & fit we've worked for everything we've had and have in our lives and never at the expense of others. Fully accountable for everything we own and do, we do it our way and sleep at nite just fine.

As to bikes we enjoy them all on and off road, we like cars and motorcycles too and we take optimum care of all of our toys. We earned it hands down, no handouts. So, I'll have my Seasucker mounts and my Thule roof rack thanks.
Old 07-31-13, 09:44 PM
ProEdgeBiker

Bikes: Custom 09' Epic Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jed19
Suction cups are made of rubber, right? Well, UV rays eventually are gonna gradually degrade that rubber. Then what?
FYI - SeaSucker rubber cups are UV resistant
Old 07-31-13, 10:02 PM
ProEdgeBiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rewillia
this thread is almost getting defensive tone while not adding any value to the OP's query

its sad but almost all SeaSucker Threads end up in this way due to all the naysayers who have never tried or seen the rack in person. Usually starts with misinformation and ends with my rack is better than yours.
Old 07-31-13, 11:11 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I've actually seen and demoed this rack in person. It's solid and quite convenient but the concept personally is too new IMO and would have me hesitating and without peace of mind if I were to actually use one of their racks. Especially when you factor in the mental image of pricey carbon at the mercy of the road and the vehicles on it.

Random but relevant but I recently saw said rack featured on a motortrend magazine video where they used said mount with MTBs & a 2014 nissan GTR. (Don't mind the title card; it immediately begins with the rack being installed and used)

My fears of losing my ride aside, this rack is revolutionary has merit bringing together previously unthought of transit combinations.
Old 08-05-13, 07:23 PM
ProEdgeBiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty cool!

Old 08-05-13, 07:36 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ProEdgeBiker
Pretty cool!

Seriously, though, that's obnoxious. If you rolled up to a race with that, people would be thinking stuff, and it would not be positive.
Old 08-06-13, 11:18 AM
ProEdgeBiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
Seriously, though, that's obnoxious. If you rolled up to a race with that, people would be thinking stuff, and it would not be positive.
Check out the car pics we get from some of our customers that bought SeaSuckers Racks from us:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...18.79893155221
Old 08-06-13, 12:22 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Looks like a solid idea to me. With each cup rated at 210 lbs you would basically need catastrophic failure of all cups before you lost your bike. I can't imagine that occuring with proper usage and checking the racks prior to usage.
Old 08-06-13, 01:10 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
I have a friend who has one. He's had no issues with it.

I thought about it, but was a little bit leary of marring the finish of the car, and waited for a rack built for the car, which doesn't touch the paint.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-06-13, 01:22 PM
NRZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darb85
I use it on a 1965 Corvair. They are great. I kept them on during an autocross session, much to the annoyance of the tech guys, no bikes on them, but they didnt move. I love em. I just ordered the three bike one to replace my 2 bike unit.
You win!! Everything about this post is awesome (I own a 63 vert).

Lots of people had some negative things to say but it seems like a lot of those people didn't have the system?? I've personally seen it a few times on hwy and around town, seems to work well enough.
Old 08-06-13, 02:20 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
yeah. i hear one of the new housewives only buys French tupperware. that hussy just likes to show off.

all of the housewives will think you're a stuck-up hussy if you own things you like, and use them. if you're not one of the housewives, you're an idiot.
Old 09-27-13, 06:53 PM
Bryanmcn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I have a friend who has one. He's had no issues with it.

I thought about it, but was a little bit leary of marring the finish of the car, and waited for a rack built for the car, which doesn't touch the paint.
I've had my Seasucker Talon for over 1 1/2 years. Rode in all kinds of wind, rain and sun. Never had a problem. Works on any car with any bike. Never leaves a mark. Fits in carry-on luggage. Love it!
Old 06-13-15, 01:46 PM
stugitlin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryanmcn
I've had my Seasucker Talon for over 1 1/2 years. Rode in all kinds of wind, rain and sun. Never had a problem. Works on any car with any bike. Never leaves a mark. Fits in carry-on luggage. Love it!
I have been using the sea sucker for 6 months. Always worry, but never an issue. Take my GTR with bike up to 75 mph in rain or sun and seems to work fine. Sometimes it makes a bang or clank if I hit pot holes, but other than that i think it's amazing!