Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Velo-Cheapo contest, 2015?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Velo-Cheapo contest, 2015?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-14, 04:37 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
@oddjob2 - I wasn't whining. I'm definitely up for it. I guess I'm envious of those, like you, who find these great deals. You're right about being ready with cash and being ready to go check out the bike NOW. Otherwise it's gone. I live in a suburb of PDX also, but we've got bikes. That Miyata 310 is in my area.
Old 11-30-14, 05:07 PM
Velocivixen

Originally Posted by oddjob2
Don't cop out with, "I can't enter the Velo-Cheapo because I can't find a deal because I live in Portland. "
Took me 10 minutes to find several decent deals in the Portland CL marketplace. Frankly, there are better deals in Portland Metro area than Detroit, A2, or NNJ.

$75 Bikes

Myata (sp) 310
Myata 310 bicycle for sale

GT Timberline
Mountain Bike, GT TIMBERLINE FS

Novara Aspen
Vintage Novara Aspen by REI (Tange tubing)

Zebra for $60
Vintage Zebra Road Bike

Giant Boulder for $35
giant boulder se mens 17.5 inch mountain bike

Trek Multitrack 700 for $30 - (a real beauty)
Bike need's TLC
I just called the guy, Frank, about the Miyata 310 and he apologized and said he sold it about "1 minute after I posted it". So he hasn't taken it down.
Old 11-30-14, 05:19 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,057 Times in 1,256 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
Yes, I like the idea of "having to acquire" the frame & components within a certain time frame - not use parts already have. I say this, of course, because I don't have much in the way of "parts bins"
Yes but I've got to get rid of parts! How about 2 categories, 1) built from newly sourced components and 2) parts bin specials. In no way can I justify buying more.

Come to think of it,maybe those without parts can request cheap parts from those with deep caches. I've got lots of old parts I'd sell or give away for postage.
Old 11-30-14, 05:21 PM
Bikes and Jeeps

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe we should wait for the people who volunteered to make the rules, to post them.

I have a bike and some parts. I really don't want to buy something I already own.
Old 11-30-14, 05:23 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3815 Post(s)
Liked 6,736 Times in 2,621 Posts
One problem with digging stuff out of the parts bin is that it can get hard to put a value on it. For a previous iteration of this contest, we went with whatever seemed to be market value, but that's a pretty huge range. For example, I have a 21" men's Raleigh Sports frame plus crankset and brakes hanging in the basement. Someone on CL gave it away for free, and it looks like it's been living under a dirt mound for a few decades. What the heck would the value of that be?!

Of course, the "judges" have maintained radio silence, so it's all moot. Wake up, @noglider!
Old 11-30-14, 05:40 PM
Velocivixen

Originally Posted by clubman
Yes but I've got to get rid of parts! How about 2 categories, 1) built from newly sourced components and 2) parts bin specials. In no way can I justify buying more.

Come to think of it,maybe those without parts can request cheap parts from those with deep caches. I've got lots of old parts I'd sell or give away for postage.
Yeah, I totally see what you guys are saying. No need to acquire if you already have. Well, it sounds like we've all given our input and analyzed it every which way, so we will have to wait.
Old 11-30-14, 06:23 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Originally Posted by nlerner
One problem with digging stuff out of the parts bin is that it can get hard to put a value on it. For a previous iteration of this contest, we went with whatever seemed to be market value, but that's a pretty huge range. For example, I have a 21" men's Raleigh Sports frame plus crankset and brakes hanging in the basement. Someone on CL gave it away for free, and it looks like it's been living under a dirt mound for a few decades. What the heck would the value of that be?!

Of course, the "judges" have maintained radio silence, so it's all moot. Wake up, @noglider!
This is spot on and "market value" of parts could make it all murky and divisive. If you paid 5 bucks for a campy high flange pista hub, great. If you itemize the cheap or free parts honestly for what you really paid then we can let the judges sort out through the gray areas and give merit when it's due.I think in the end, most of us just want to build a funky bike and post pics!

I hope the judges will keep the door fairly open and maybe encourage some creative, inspirational builds.
Old 11-30-14, 07:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,443 Posts
OK, I'm back. I'll see if Pastor Bob and David are still willing to participate... Thanks for the nudge, @nlerner. Hey, what happened to your avatar? I'm pretty sure you had one.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-30-14, 07:22 PM
auldgeunquers

Bikes: various strays, mongrels, and old junk.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Savagewolf
I don't think I could ever compete in one of these events. Here in Oregon it's almost impossible to get a generic and trashed box-store MTB for the price some of you pick up the classic bikes. Anything with any vintage to it will generally require a Ben Franklin at its cheapest in a rusted out state.
I feel your pain.

Here's an example of the kind of optimists I have to deal with here.

moutain bike | mountain | Sault Ste. Marie | Kijiji

... sigh!! ...
Old 11-30-14, 07:32 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by auldgeunquers
I feel your pain.

Here's an example of the kind of optimists I have to deal with here.

moutain bike | mountain | Sault Ste. Marie | Kijiji

... sigh!! ...
Ask @PedalTraveler if he can help you, he's fairly close by on Mackinac Island.
Old 11-30-14, 07:40 PM
auldgeunquers

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Ask @PedalTraveler if he can help you, he's fairly close by on Mackinac Island.
He is, eh? Cool. May talk to him - but the CL scene in Northern MI is not much better ...

Fortunately I have other resources ... but I rarely come across cool vintage steel here at any price - but I have turned up a number of lower end boom bike, which, though they have little market value, are of interest to me. Any number of big box mountain bikes too, from any era since the invention of the MTB.
Old 11-30-14, 07:42 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,484 Times in 1,134 Posts
I'm not too concerned what the rules are... I'm just looking for a good excuse to build up a bike on the cheap.

I do kinda like the proposed rule that you have to offer the bike up for sale at the price you say you paid for it. I've got too many bikes hanging around here: Maybe someone will take it off my hands after I'm done with it!
Brent
Old 11-30-14, 08:01 PM
David325
BMW Aficionado

Bikes: '66 Raleigh RSW, '69 Humber Sports, '71 Raleigh Pro, '73 Raleigh Super Course, '74 Raleigh International, '75 + '77 Raleigh Competition, '87 Raleigh Edge, others

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rules are in progress. We took a bit of a holiday leave but will be posting them soon- we're trying to incorporate what has been mentioned in this thread as best we can!
Old 11-30-14, 08:05 PM
auldgeunquers

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
I'm not too concerned what the rules are... I'm just looking for a good excuse to build up a bike on the cheap.
Yep yep this. It's an excuse for one more bike. Bwa ha ha!!
Old 11-30-14, 08:40 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,443 Posts
OK, I think we're almost there. Rules posted soon, in a new thread.

It occurs to me, since there is an incentive to do this cheaply, you could even make money on the bike after the contest is over. Most road-ready bikes of decent quality sell for more than $150, right?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-30-14, 09:17 PM
Savagewolf
KingoftheMountain wannabe

Bikes: V.O. Pass Hunter & Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by obrentharris
I do kinda like the proposed rule that you have to offer the bike up for sale at the price you say you paid for it. I've got too many bikes hanging around here: Maybe someone will take it off my hands after I'm done with it!
Brent
LOVE that idea.
Old 11-30-14, 09:17 PM
Savagewolf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
OK, I think we're almost there. Rules posted soon, in a new thread.

It occurs to me, since there is an incentive to do this cheaply, you could even make money on the bike after the contest is over. Most road-ready bikes of decent quality sell for more than $150, right?
In my area? Yes.
Old 12-01-14, 08:55 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

LOVE that idea.
Sure, I'll mount a pair of new Dunlop Stainless lightweight rims for which I paid $20 and could get $150 on ebay? And sell the bike to someone to part out? Don't think so. It's why I suggested 2 categories. If I build a real crappy velo-Cheapo with ****e parts, which is easy, I'll end up with a POS bike I don't want and no one will want to pay shipping from Canada. Maybe I'll end up building a bike that meets the cost criteria and post it independent of the contest.

Anyway, I just want to play and will wait for the rules to come down.
Old 12-01-14, 07:00 PM
Savagewolf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I completely understand what you are saying, but I think it adds credibility and realism to how people build. Those sweetheart deals people find from the widow or just make up (it happens) won't be used to build a bike that we all know is worth far more than the $100 challenge implies. It maybe makes people focus on finding quality parts that are very functional but not always desired, or to work on real projects rather than just buying some gem and calling it good. It challenges people more.
Old 12-01-14, 07:02 PM
Savagewolf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing the rules and seeing what I might be able to find. Finding tall bikes is very spotty for me, feast or famine.
Old 12-01-14, 07:12 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
To me velo cheapo is more about creativity than simply building a bike out of parts that you acquired cheaply. Using materials not necessarily bike related, or making things from scratch, or finding discarded items that can be repurposed.
Old 12-01-14, 07:16 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
To me velo cheapo is more about creativity than simply building a bike out of parts that you acquired cheaply. Using materials not necessarily bike related, or making things from scratch, or finding discarded items that can be repurposed.
Watching too much HGTV or DIYnetwork?
Old 12-01-14, 07:20 PM
Savagewolf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by big chainring
I agree.
Old 12-01-14, 07:30 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing the rules and seeing what I might be able to find. Finding tall bikes is very spotty for me, feast or famine.
I wish you were closer. I've got 5 decent big frames for you to pick from, not in bad shape either.

I'm not trying to show off (too much). I do have a bunch of old unique parts that scream to be built. I'm just needing motivation as the cold weather sets in and have a deep seated need to be included.
Old 12-01-14, 08:05 PM
Savagewolf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by clubman
I wish you were closer. I've got 5 decent big frames for you to pick from, not in bad shape either.

I'm not trying to show off (too much). I do have a bunch of old unique parts that scream to be built. I'm just needing motivation as the cold weather sets in and have a deep seated need to be included.
Ha ha...it's all good. To be honest, once the rules come out and I consider if want to enter or not, the bike that I build will most likely be donated or sold cheaply. I'll probably end up just raising up the saddle and stem for the ride and suffering with a smaller bike than I'd like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.