Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Orthodoxy Part 1

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Orthodoxy Part 1

Old 12-26-20, 11:48 AM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 126 Posts
Orthodoxy Part 1

Begin the experiment.

I have been a member of bikeforums.net for several years.

In that time I have seen different ideas presented in threads.

These ideas are sometimes repeated or quoted in other threads by other members.

Eventually some of these ideas are taken as fact, probably because they have been repeated so many times.

These ideas take on an orthodoxy and it becomes difficult for any member to dispute or argue against.

Some of these ideas, which may have started in this forum, even move beyond this forum and are put forward as fact in publications and other websites.

This is in fact why I am writing this series of articles.

Recently I have read in two separate places where an orthodox idea from bikeforums.net, which has not been fully verified, has been published.
This idea will no doubt be considered a fact because it is published in a book.

Sometimes on this forum I read posts that state something that does not sound quite right or does not fit with things that I have observed.

I want to say something about the questionable idea but I do not have anything concrete to counter with or the argument against the idea is complex and cannot be easily presented by me in a sentence or a paragraph.

What to do when you want to question orthodox beliefs?

Over the next days I intend to put forward information that challenges two ideas that have been present in the bikeforums.net for more than a decade.
These ideas relate to the origin and serial numbers of vintage Japanese bicycles largely associated with one brand name, Centurion from Western States Imports.

- - - -

There will be a question and answer period at the end of the presentation. We kindly ask that you hold your questions until that time.

- - - -

"Do you want your ears blown out some more?"

Johnny Rotten on stage at the Winterland Ballroom, San Francisco, California 01/14/78
Likes For Hummer:
Old 12-26-20, 12:50 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1907 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Hummer

What to do when you want to question orthodox beliefs?

Well, some years ago i read a paper on an obscure topic at a professional conference and afterwards an elder statesman of the field remarked that my interpretation of the evidence was "bold." What he meant, of course, was that i got a lot of interpretation out of a very little evidence.

No, not exactly an answer to your question, but the general idea is relevant: the right word, used the right way, can sound both appreciative and dismissive at the same time.
Old 12-26-20, 01:09 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 2395 Post(s)
Liked 4,332 Times in 2,069 Posts
Random blathering purported as fact by BikeForums Classic & Vintage:

You can't straighten a steerer tube,
Nuovo Record RD's are infallible,
AliExpress can't be trusted,
Chain skip is probably not due to to wear on the smallest cog,
Any bad eBay experience (as a buyer) is grounds for recommending everyone to stay away from buying on eBay,
You can't turn a C&V bike into an e-bike.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 12-26-20, 01:51 PM
Hummer

Part 2. The first orthodoxy

One of the orthodox ideas that exists has to do with date encoding within a serial number of a Japanese frame manufacturer.

This in itself is not very important but it demonstrates that once an idea has been put out into the public realm and that idea takes hold, then it is difficult to change the public perception of that idea.

The specific serial number type is the "N" prefix serial number, followed by a digit which indicates the year of frame manufacture, followed by a letter which indicates a time period within the year, followed by four digits. This format of serial number is most often scene on several models of Centurion brand bicycles from 1978 to 1989. This format of serial number is also found with other brands including, but not limited to: Diamond Back MTBs, Novara, and Terry.

It was the orthodox opinion on bikeforums.net that the time period for the letter was a fortnight.

In October of 2017 I showed an analysis of this format of serial number and demonstrated that the time period represented by the letter was more probably a month than a fortnight.
I will not repeat the report on the analysis here. The analysis is in this post in the centurion serial number database thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/19917187-post2203.html

To my knowledge, no one has contradicted or questioned this analysis.

However within bikeforums.net the belief persists that the letter represents not a month but a fortnight.

Another note on this topic. Bicycle manufacturing goes on a yearly cycle. Bicycle production at a factory is not constant from month to month.
Distributors and retailers in North America order seasonally. They order at the end of one year for the next years spring.

Bicycle factories do much of their production in the last quarter of the year.

If the time period letter in "N" type serial numbers is for a fortnight there should be plenty of letters T, U, V, W, X, Y, and Z. These letters would represent the fourth quarter. In the Centurion serial number record of "N" type serial numbers these letters are never reported or almost never reported. This would mean that almost no bicycles were manufactured in the fourth quarter by whoever was the manufacturer.

In the monthly proposal the Letters N, P, and S would represent the last three months of the year. These letters are reported frequently in the N serial numbers. This correlates with the frame manufacturing season.

Does the letter in the "N" type serial numbers represent fortnight or month? You decide.

- - -

"Hey, what was that that just hit me in the head. It didn't hurt a bit."

Johnny Rotten on stage at the Winterland Ballroom, San Francisco, California 01/14/78
Old 12-26-20, 02:25 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 2,101 Times in 1,366 Posts
Festivus was last week
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-26-20, 02:28 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3446 Post(s)
Liked 2,785 Times in 1,967 Posts
BF C&V is much better than the recent stuff on political twitter.

forget the orthodoxy. Sheldon Brown is gone, and so is Jobst Brandt.

Its bicycle Perestroika.
Old 12-26-20, 02:40 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 479 Post(s)
Quoted: 3779 Post(s)
Liked 6,527 Times in 2,568 Posts
I really don’t think that something is perceived to be a fact because it gets published in a book. Well, maybe some will perceive it that way, but authors have little control over readers’ interpretations.

And on the subject of serial #s, I don’t have much faith in @cudak888 cracking the Raleigh serial # code and do cringe when someone posts to BF with a wild guess on the age of an old Raleigh based on those charts, but I don’t begrudge him for trying.

Helpful text on this topic is Stephen Jay Gould’s Mismeasure of Man.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 12-26-20, 02:41 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,177 Posts
Great question, I am waiting for the experts to chime in.

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 12-26-20, 02:50 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by nlerner
And on the subject of serial #s, I don’t have much faith in @cudak888 cracking the Raleigh serial # code and do cringe when someone posts to BF with a wild guess on the age of an old Raleigh based on those charts, but I don’t begrudge him for trying.
The irony of it is that my attempts came about after getting fed up with Sheldon/RR's serial numbers misguiding everyone. Now the old guides which I wrote on The Headbage are more or less doing the same thing. The good intentions came full circle to bite me in the butt.

If I ever get off my butt with the new website (spent six months of this year on website work for the paying job; reaaaaaly don't want to play Wordpress coder on my measly 1 week of off time), I've got an idea of how to fix this, but...time will tell.

If anything, I need to kick off that section about 1960's serials ASAP...

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 12-26-20 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-26-20, 03:03 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked 438 Times in 311 Posts
There was a recent thread talking about "thread stoppers" or "thread killers" and to be honest I never even got around to reading that thread. But I thought about the concept as it pertains to me not getting the help I seek, on a thread that I start. Often the first person who responds to the OP's thread can either give it a great launch or the at the opposite pole, a negative, juvenile or snarky response might damn the OP's query to the dust bin.

I've also noticed that I have inadvertently shut down other people's threads with my opinions, or detailed suggestions. For example: recently I gave my opinion on the best way to properly mount an Octalink crankset onto an Octalink bottom bracket. The recommendations that I made were very specific and contradicted some of the advice that had been dished out previously by other posters on this thread. I felt that a few of the responses were just silly, unhelpful or just plain misinformed. Like folks were just postulating what they thought the proper solution to some specific mechanical problem might be. Some folks were being polite and playing the devil's advocate with one grouchy respondent whose response seemed both heavy handed and ill informed at the same time. Thank goodness that there are those good natured bike forum members who possess the ability to remain supportive, to guide the topic back on track when it veers off the tracks with venomous cynicism.

But no one posted anything further to that particular post after my post. I mean, it just went dead silent after that. I thought for sure someone would have follow up questions about my specific recommendation of a 2 handed "T-Bar" as the best way to apply even torque and the best way to get reliable tactile feedback when installing a part without buggering it up...

Last edited by masi61; 12-26-20 at 03:07 PM.
Likes For masi61:
Old 12-26-20, 06:28 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 2,344 Times in 879 Posts
Try suggesting rust removal using steel wool and see what happens...
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 12-26-20, 06:48 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 952 Posts
"Orthodox" is an interesting term which in my line of work generally means: "...adherence to correct or accepted creeds, especially in religion."

"Creed" is the key to what is orthodox and what is not orthodox. I would argue, that unless the manufacturer published a guide (i.e. creed) to interpret their serial numbers, there can never be 100% certainty when interpreting. There can be best assumptions, however, there can also be room for error and misinterpretation.

Just my two cents.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 12-26-20, 07:29 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 12-26-20, 08:01 PM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 154 Posts
Surely we can all agree that WD-40 is the best lubricant for all the various parts of a bicycle.
Likes For jethin:
Old 12-26-20, 09:05 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
"Orthodox" is an interesting term which in my line of work generally means: "...adherence to correct or accepted creeds, especially in religion."

"Creed" is the key to what is orthodox and what is not orthodox. I would argue, that unless the manufacturer published a guide (i.e. creed) to interpret their serial numbers, there can never be 100% certainty when interpreting. There can be best assumptions, however, there can also be room for error and misinterpretation.

Just my two cents.
I like what William Warburton supposedly said: "Orthodoxy is my doxy. Heterodoxy is another man's doxy." [He was presumably thinking of the word as used in the sense of a mistress, lover, or prostitute.]

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 12-26-20, 09:29 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
Unsure if the OP is concerned with fortnights or the lack of response to, and/or publication of, his analysis.

Also, seen not scene. In arguments of such magnitude attention to detail is crucial.

Looking forward to the Second Orthodoxy. Reason unknown.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 12-26-20, 10:06 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 384 Posts
Orthodoxy says don't use grease on square taper BBs, but I've always used it with good results so far.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 12-27-20, 12:56 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Surely, this can't be another Hudsucker Proxy.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 12-27-20, 01:02 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Surely we can all agree that WD-40 is the best lubricant for all the various parts of a bicycle.
Wong. I, for one, do not see WD40 as a great lubricant. Cleaner, yes but not a lubricant. Best chain lube, in my mind, is ProLink. Grease seems to be the best lubricant for bottom brackets and head sets and wheel hubs.

As for the comments here on Bike Forums. I read and consider, but do not repeat to others unless I have tried it myself. That said and for what it is worth, I have seen many examples of extremely poor advice offered by some fellow Bike Forums members. And, for what it is worth, WD-40 is one of the very few chemicals that I use when working on my bikes. And I do not use much.
Old 12-27-20, 01:34 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 2,101 Times in 1,366 Posts
But I used the very best butter on my chain and my square taper BB

Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 12-27-20, 11:33 AM
Hummer

Part 3. The second orthodoxy

Another orthodox idea that has long been present on the vintage enthusiasts bikeforums.net is about a Japanese company: H. Tano and Company.

The idea that has been put forward is that H. Tano and company is reportedly to have manufactured bicycles for the USA brand name Centurion.

It is unclear to me what is meant by the word "manufactured". Manufactured could mean only the frame of the bicycle was manufactured, or some other component/components were manufactured, or that the bicycle was assembled from other manufactures frames and components.

It is also unclear to me what "reportedly" is supposed to mean. Something concrete or something purposefully ambiguous.

The original idea that "reportedly H. Tano and Company manufactured bicycles" has morphed into "H. Tano and Company manufactured bicycles". The caveat "reportedly" has been removed and this new version of what kind of a company H. Tano and Company was now exists.

The removal of the caveat "reportedly" has gone unnoticed or unchallenged, even by the originator of the first statement where "reportedly" is used.

The idea that is repeated is "H. Tano and company manufactured bicycles".

I have several references to H. Tano and Company as a Japanese export company that supplied bicycles.

The first place that I found the reference to "Tano" as a "manufacturer" is in this post from February of 2006 by bikeforums.net member @T-Mar:

https://www.bikeforums.net/2208689-post62.html

Originally Posted by T-Mar

Example: N4E0283 indicates the 283 frame manufactured during the period of weeks 9-10, for the year 1984.

The letter prefix for these codes is typically 'N'. It has been suggested that this represents National, the Japanese market brand for Panasonic, which are built my Matsu****a. While the Panasonic branded models use a similar format, there is no prefix letter, nor is there a letter prefix on the Matsu****a manufactured Schwinns. This suggests the N-codes are be another manufacturer. reportedly Tano, though this is unconfirmed.

I have not seen where T-Mar reveals the source that reported Tano as a manufacturer.

Two bikeforum.net members have questioned T-Mar about his reportedly Tano assertion, once in May 2017 by member @msl109 and once in August 2019 by member @madpogue.

member mls109 thread with question and T-Mar's response:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...an-frames.html

The majority of 1980s Centurion use S/N with an N prefix, in conjunction with the standard year-fortnight-sequential manufacturing number format. There's a 2011 Korn Ferry Institute article on Georgina Terry, where it is reported that her supplier, Tano, copied her frame design for use on Centurion models, which they manufactured for WSI. We know that Centurion introduced the Terry style Ironman Expert Women's model in 1987, followed by the LeMans Proportional in 1988. Samples on these bicycles in my database show them having S/N with N-codes. This would seem to be reliable information suggesting that the N-codes represent Tano. However, the sole 1987 Terry S/N I've found is an S-code. While it's possible that Tano used a different prefix for different customers, this does not appear to have been a common practice among manufacturers and is enough to leave some doubt as to the manufacturer of the N-codes. Still, they are currently the leading prospect, in addition to the article statement, they were the original source and are often reported as being WSI's major supplier in the 1980s.

Member madpogue question in the Centurion Serial Number Database thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/21094234-post2248.html

Originally Posted by madpogue
A 1980 Omega just followed me home. Second from the bottom of the line, hi-ten and plenty of chromed steel bits. According to the 1979 catalog, 30 lb. Serial number is on the NDS of the seat tube; curve of the tube makes for an incomplete strike. Excuse the fuzzy photo; taken in the middle of the night while yawning....

@T-Mar , could it be that the "N" in the Japan-made Centurions with the N(1) format stands for Nippon?

[
Member T-Mar's response:

https://www.bikeforums.net/21151985-post2255.html

There's a 2011 Korn Ferry Institute article on Georgina Terry, where it is reported that her supplier, Tano, copied her frame design for use on Centurion models, which they manufactured for WSI. We know that Centurion introduced the Terry style Ironman Expert Women's model in 1987, followed by the LeMans Proportional in 1988. Samples of these bicycles in my database show them having S/N with N-codes. This would seem to be reliable information suggesting that the N-codes represent Tano. However, the sole 1987 Terry S/N I've found is an S-code. While it's possible that Tano used a different prefix for different customers, this does not appear to have been a common practice among manufacturers and is enough to leave some doubt as to the manufacturer of the N-codes. Still, Tano is currently my leading candidate for the N-codes. In addition to the article statement, Tano is generally cited as being the original Centurion source and is often reported as being WSI's major supplier in the 1980s.

In neither response does member T-Mar say the source of his 2006 assertion of "reportedly Tano".

In both responses member T-Mar cites an article in 2011 publication of the Korn Ferry Institute
written by Lawrence M. Fisher entitled "Georgena Terry's Long-Distance Ride".
(Note: In both responses member T-Mar spelt Georgena incorrectly.)

In the second response member T-Mar also adds a new assertion:

In addition to the article statement, Tano is generally cited as being the original Centurion source and is often reported as being WSI's major supplier in the 1980s.
From what I have seen this assertion is true. Other sources do credit H. Tano and Company with suppling bicycles to Western States Imports(WSI) or their predecessor organization.

These sources do not say that H. Tano and Company manufactered the bicycles or any part of the bicycles.

Is the Korn Ferry Institute article a credible confirmation?
What is the Korn Ferry Institute?

- - - -

And remember class, there will be a test on all this material on the third Thursday of January.
Likes For Hummer:
Old 12-27-20, 12:27 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Originally Posted by Hummer
....Other sources do credit H. Tano and Company with suppling bicycles to Western States Imports(WSI) or their predecessor organization.

These sources do not say that H. Tano and Company manufactered the bicycles or any part of the bicycles.
I had always heard that H. Tano did not actually produce the frames, but was responsible for heat treatment of frames manufactured by Korn Ferry's manufacturing subsidiary. H. Tano's proprietary "suppling" process is said to have improved frame resiliency. According to some sources, at least--others vociferously disagree.

Sadly, that suppling process has reportedly been lost to history.

--Ogden Nash
Old 12-27-20, 12:56 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 3,397 Times in 983 Posts
The OP's first sentence in Post #1 is "Begin the experiment."
Then what follows isn't an experiment.
It's more of a request for Truth in the public record, a demand for accuracy in the use of words, and a not so subtle calling-out of a BF C&V member held in high esteem.
Why wasn't this done through a one-to-one contact privately rather than post a thread to the sub-forum's readers?
And why would the OP state "Begin the experiment." as an opening sentence to this thread when it's clearly not an experiment, yet he is the one demanding accuracy in definition and spelling?

UNLESS......it really is an experiment.
And the OP is the Investigator.
And the System being perturbed is BF C&V.
And the Perturbation is the Centurion SN story
And Data being collected are the responses to this thread.
If so, guess who the rats are.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 12-27-20, 01:37 PM
jonwvara 

The plot thickens...

--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 12-27-20, 01:50 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1603 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
WoW!
​​​​​Unexpected replys. These replys are what I'd expect on Cycling Discussion or Foo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.