Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can we make Bicycles Sustainable Again?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Can we make Bicycles Sustainable Again?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-23, 03:19 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 790 Posts
There is no turning back in bike design, especially with e-bikes now coming on the scene. People only talk about sustainability, they don't practice it, except some trivial aspects.

Likes For work4bike:
Old 03-26-23, 03:40 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Yes, his estimates seem low for a lifetime of a bicycle. Although from my own records of bicycles…40 of them…I average only about 2600 miles per bike with a high of 22,000 lifetime miles and a low of 57 miles. Four of those bikes were disposed of because they broke (3) or were wrecked due to a car accident (1). Most of the rest passed out of my hands so I have no idea how long they lasted.

But, over all, the article has a bit too much self-flagellation to be taken seriously.
We're a forum of cycling enthusiasts, so we almost certainly cover an order of magnitude of mileage than a person who uses a bicycle for transport only.

This article reckons the average bicycle user only does about 1000 miles (1600km) a year, which means a bike with 15,000km on it is about 10 years old and since it's probably not been brilliantly maintained and is just used to get to work and back, will almost certainly be approaching the point where it's less hassle to scrap it and buy a new one, given the vast bulk of bicycles sold will have cost under about $500 new.
Old 03-26-23, 04:57 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I like my Kindle and my wife likes her lululemon () but no kids. Do we get a pass since our transgressions end with us?
If you didn't have kids, then you've already made the single biggest step to reduce your impact on the planet. So, you get a pass on the rest.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-26-23, 07:42 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Guess the switch to cassettes and the obsolescence of freewheels wasn't a worry.
Not to us who have been using an IGH. Like me.
Old 03-26-23, 08:21 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
I like my Kindle and my wife likes her lululemon () but no kids. Do we get a pass since our transgressions end with us?
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
If you didn't have kids, then you've already made the single biggest step to reduce your impact on the planet. So, you get a pass on the rest.
When I have read about the current semi-popular position to morally hold over others, that having kids is ethically wrong as it singlehandedly destroys the environment more than everything else combined, the data I have seen seems to imply carbon use will stay constant into the future.
That is odd to me, since in the developed world there is a downward trend for carbon use.

Why wouldn't all the carbon reduction laws be taken into account? Why wouldn't the already started downward trend be taken into account?
I know economies don't matter if the world is destroyed by warming/climate change, but population decline definitely creates some significant issues of its own, and those very real issues also seem to just not be discussed or even acknowledged in articles and comments on this subject.

I am not suggesting having kids is somehow good for the environment, to be clear.
It's just funny to see realities, projections, and carbon reduction laws largely ignored in what seems like an effort to hold a moral high ground over others.
Also, I am not suggesting the 2 posters I just quoted are expressing moral superiority. The comments simply happened to motivate me to post this as a perspective worth considering.
Old 03-26-23, 08:50 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
That is odd to me, since in the developed world there is a downward trend for carbon use.

Why wouldn't all the carbon reduction laws be taken into account? Why wouldn't the already started downward trend be taken into account?
Carbon emissions from fossil fuel use are declining, but atmospheric CO2 levels are still rising; I'm not current enough to give a definitive explanation for this seeming paradox, but I suspect this is happening at least partly because of positive feedback loops, which are phenomena in which rising temps themselves cause more CO2 to be released into the atmosphere. For example, as more permafrost melts due to rising temps, much sequestered CO2 is released into the atmosphere, which helps ensure that temps continue to rise in spite of burning less fossil fuel. (Other positive feedback loops help maintain our dependence on fossil fuels...e.g., rising temps lead us to use our AC more, which is powered by electricity, which is often created by burning fossil fuels.)

but population decline definitely creates some significant issues of its own, and those very real issues also seem to just not be discussed or even acknowledged in articles and comments on this subject.
Back when I was teaching courses on this subject, all of the research that I read suggested that our population is way beyond Earth's sustainable carrying capacity. There's no definitive methodology for determining that level, but every plausible scholar and study I recall reading (on that topic) concluded that we are way beyond the planet's sustainable population. (That much seems quite obviously true for the way we are currently living -- otherwise we wouldn't even be discussing climate change.) And given that the affluent economies (like ours) use far more resources, and produce far more pollution, on a per capita basis, as compared to the rest of the world's populations, rising populations here in the Western world are particularly troublesome.

Last edited by Koyote; 03-26-23 at 09:07 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-26-23, 09:08 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
We're a forum of cycling enthusiasts, so we almost certainly cover an order of magnitude of mileage than a person who uses a bicycle for transport only.

This article reckons the average bicycle user only does about 1000 miles (1600km) a year, which means a bike with 15,000km on it is about 10 years old and since it's probably not been brilliantly maintained and is just used to get to work and back, will almost certainly be approaching the point where it's less hassle to scrap it and buy a new one, given the vast bulk of bicycles sold will have cost under about $500 new.
Chicken/egg* scenario. Low mileage riders probably aren’t transportation riders so the carbon footprint is meaningless. The vast majority of transportation takes place in cars anyway so the tiny carbon footprint of bicycles is equally as meaningless. Basically the whole article a mostly useless bit of navel gazing and guilt tripping about something that really doesn’t matter all that much.

*Egg came first by several hundred million years.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-27-23, 03:49 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 4,861 Times in 3,007 Posts
The comments section is quite revealing. Someone points out to the author that maybe bicycles are not a major concern in the bigger picture and the author responds with:-

"For me, this article is not really about bicycles, it is about capitalism managing to destroy everything, even a sustainable icon like the bicycle. That is the important matter to attend instead of focusing on technological solutions for whatever you find more relevant than a bicycle."

So there you have it. A rant about capitalism, combined with a strong retro-grouch bias toward old steel bicycles.
Old 03-27-23, 05:08 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,373 Times in 720 Posts
Greta, Al Gore and the like are so right they are taking it to the bank. Meanwhile winter is winter, spring is spring, summer is summer and fall is fall, and it is all happening to this day.
Old 03-27-23, 06:28 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Greta, Al Gore and the like are so right they are taking it to the bank. Meanwhile winter is winter, spring is spring, summer is summer and fall is fall, and it is all happening to this day.
Wine grapes [size=33px]that used to grow in France are now in England.
Ticks that used to die off and not survive far north are living thru winter and creating large surges of disease in uncommon locations.
I could honestly type out a hundred scenarios like these, but doubt there is value in that for the audience I am responding to.

Direct question- regardless of if it's naturally occurring or influenced by man, do you think there is a change in climate activity over the last 125 years, and especially over the last 40?
...or do you rake the position that nothing is different?[/size]
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-27-23, 07:41 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
The comments section is quite revealing. Someone points out to the author that maybe bicycles are not a major concern in the bigger picture and the author responds with:-

"For me, this article is not really about bicycles, it is about capitalism managing to destroy everything, even a sustainable icon like the bicycle. That is the important matter to attend instead of focusing on technological solutions for whatever you find more relevant than a bicycle."

So there you have it. A rant about capitalism, combined with a strong retro-grouch bias toward old steel bicycles.
What I am always amused with is the vintage 70’s reto crowd is always complaining about big bike marketing scams enticing purchasers with the new and improved products and technologies is a example of capitalism run amok. The irony is the storied names they are wedded to are really a construct of nothing but marketing vapor. Somehow a Columbus tubed cast lugged bike assembled by a bunch of dudes whose names end with a vowel is somehow different from another even though they are virtually identical. During the 70’s North American bike boom they had to differentiate the various identical offerings much like the tobacco industry by assigning emotional attributes and vague differentiators. I fondly recall my 74 Masi GC with 1st generation Super Record and the sense of pride I had when I purchased it with my hard earned money. But it was ***** when compared to my most recent bike both in performance and build quality.
Old 03-27-23, 07:45 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
What I am always amused with is the vintage 70’s reto crowd is always complaining about big bike marketing scams enticing purchasers with the new and improved products and technologies is a example of capitalism run amok. The irony is the storied names they are wedded to are really a construct of nothing but marketing vapor. Somehow a Columbus tubed cast lugged bike assembled by a bunch of dudes whose names end with a vowel is somehow different from another even though they are virtually identical. During the 70’s North American bike boom they had to differentiate the various identical offerings much like the tobacco industry by assigning emotional attributes and vague differentiators. I fondly recall my 74 Masi GC with 1st generation Super Record and the sense of pride I had when I purchased it with my hard earned money. But it was ***** when compared to my most recent bike both in performance and build quality.
I don't disagree. But you're starting to sound like a broken record. Time to move on.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-27-23, 07:48 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I don't disagree. But you're starting to sound like a broken record. Time to move on.
Great point, been alone traveling for the past month and heading back to the real world tomorrow so that that last repetitive broken record rant for a while. Thanks for the reality check
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 03-27-23, 07:55 AM
PeteHski

Direct question- regardless of if it's naturally occurring or influenced by man, do you think there is a change in climate activity over the last 125 years, and especially over the last 40?
...or do you rake the position that nothing is different?[/size]
We only need to watch David Attenborough's climate change documentary to get the big picture and it isn't looking good. He's a guy who has literally lived through it and seen it all first hand with no political or commercial motive. It's all pretty sad really, but not that surprising.
Old 03-27-23, 07:55 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Great point, been alone traveling for the past month and heading back to the real world tomorrow so that that last repetitive broken record rant for a while. Thanks for the reality check
We've all been there. You can yell at the clouds (err, old men with their lugged steel bikes) all you want...But it'll only harden their resolve.
Old 03-27-23, 09:00 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
I love ❤️ climate change talk.

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I love the debate about climate change. The reason being is that magically all pollution has been cured and magically disappeared miraculously!!! Currently no airplanes, car, pollute , nor plastic clogg our oceans, waterways. No problem with the push towards EVs, requiring vast amounts of lithium mining, electric power demand if we go that route, no landfill problems overflowing, and fake recycling programs shipping stuff to China.. .
You see , climate change debate has cured all of these, ,, just prove it's a normal phase earth goes through , and our conscience is clear as a new born 👶 baby 🤥

Last edited by rossiny; 03-27-23 at 09:36 AM.
Likes For rossiny:
Old 03-27-23, 09:17 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
For all the bicycles, ebikes and escooters manufactured, their negative impact on the environment is minuscule in comparison to the number of motorized vehicles and EVs. Compare by weight of raw material used, it's even lower.

So if there's a budget to work on sustainability, where do you think that $1 should be spent, on the bicycle industry or on the automotive industry?
Old 03-27-23, 09:33 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 1,059 Posts
Sustainable? I dunno. I ordered newly made HSA120 Pawl Springs for an overhaul of my pre-War Sturmey AW.

Wine grapes that used to grow in France are now in England.
Fun fact: As they were before the 11th century.
Old 03-27-23, 09:40 AM
Koyote

The people who generated this are actual climate scientists who are working with actual data. You know, as opposed to people with no actual education or training in the subject who nonetheless think they know more than those who do have education and training in the subject.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-27-23, 10:17 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by rossiny
No problem with the push towards EVs, requiring vast amounts of lithium mining, electric power demand if we go that route
The MIT report released a couple of years ago comparing EV vs combustion engine lifecycle emissions concluded that EVs are significantly less polluting overall (especially when used on cleaner electricity grids), but still not enough on their own to meet long-term government emission targets. But interestingly, the popular media deliberately mis-quoted this report to make it sound like EVs were environmentally worse. I read both the media stories and the actual MIT report and they were like chalk and cheese. The authors of the report actually wrote a complaint letter about this mis-representation to a number of newspapers, but nobody really paid attention beyond the original click bait.
Old 03-27-23, 10:21 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...thank you for not moving this thread to teh P+R. It would have been wasted in there.
Old 03-27-23, 12:30 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,432 Times in 2,759 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
The people who generated this are actual climate scientists who are working with actual data. You know, as opposed to people with no actual education or training in the subject who nonetheless think they know more than those who do have education and training in the subject.
That's what annoys me about climate change "debates." That it's happening is no longer subject to debate among those qualified to have an opinion. Still plenty of opportunity to debate what, if anything, to do about it.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-27-23, 12:35 PM
Koyote

That's what annoys me about climate change "debates." That it's happening is no longer subject to debate among those qualified to have an opinion. Still plenty of opportunity to debate what, if anything, to do about it.
"We conclude with high statistical confidence that the scientific consensus on human-caused contemporary climate change—expressed as a proportion of the total publications—exceeds 99% in the peer reviewed scientific literature."
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/1...48-9326/ac2966

"The scientific consensus that humans are altering the climate has passed 99.9%, according to research that strengthens the case for global action at the Cop26 summit in Glasgow."
​​​​​​https://www.theguardian.com/environm...used-by-humans
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-27-23, 12:39 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Re: EVs .... who has done long-term impact studies about the mining and refining of Rare Earths (particularly in Communist China, where environmental laws do no t exist) and the long-term storage of dead EV batteries? We know most of them will end up in the "EV Battareez--Hazerdis" section of some landfill in some small town somewhere, leaching away through the never-maintained liner ..... As for the rest they are cars .... same energy and material requirements to build. Still need tarmac to drive on. Still need lubricants. Maybe generating the needed energy for recharge is cleaner than refining it to gasoline and burning it ..... but that is not "life-cycle" impact. That is "use-cycle" impact. Those old Pintos and Caprices are rusting slowly in junkyards, doing only very minor damage to local water supplies .... but a stack of hundreds of EV battery packs, under a tarp somewhere .....
Old 03-27-23, 12:48 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
For aluminum, it’s 16 tons CO2/ton of aluminum.
That'll get you another day older and deeper in debt if you try to load it.

In keeping with the ever evolving theme:

WWJD if he had to run for public office or vote in an election?

Last edited by seypat; 03-27-23 at 12:54 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.