Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano Vs Sram? Thoughts and experiences?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-21, 07:24 PM
OUGrad05

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

I've got a Shimano bike right now as my road bike. I'll likely pickup another bike soon and am hoping for 105 Di2 and/or 12 speed options from Shimano. If that occurs the speculation is that the current hubs will not be compatible so that will mean new wheels/hubs, etc and no platform sharing.

As a result I'm leaning towards maybe SRAM Rival eTap AXS. It seems to be a compelling option, although rather heavy and gets me electronic shifting at considerable savings vs Ultegra Di2. I am also very intrigued by the 1x12 setup for the road the they offer. I think a 46 or 48x12 would be good enough, simpler and still provide more than adequate climbing. There was initially speculation that a 10 tooth gear would wear really quickly but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I've read.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-17-21, 07:31 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,742 Times in 1,014 Posts

Old 08-17-21, 07:49 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I worked for the very first American pro team to ride SRAM back in '06. I've been working for SRAM teams every since. What do I have on my personal bike? SRAM Red. That said I think they both work very, very well. I really like Shimano brakes, I them on my SS and an putting one on my new bmx race bike. I don't think you can go wrong either way. If you want the newest/coolest and are leaning towards Shimano, wait a few months...the new stuff is pretty rad. I can't really say anything at this point but they've made some improvements and streamlined the system some. The 10 tooth on SRAM won't wear out quickly unless you ride like an idiot. If you live in a reasonably flat area or are super fit the 1X is cool. You will obviously put a bit more wear on the small cogs if you go 1X.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-17-21, 07:52 PM
OUGrad05

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
I worked for the very first American pro team to ride SRAM back in '06. I've been working for SRAM teams every since. What do I have on my personal bike? SRAM Red. That said I think they both work very, very well. I really like Shimano brakes, I them on my SS and an putting one on my new bmx race bike. I don't think you can go wrong either way. If you want the newest/coolest and are leaning towards Shimano, wait a few months...the new stuff is pretty rad. I can't really say anything at this point but they've made some improvements and streamlined the system some. The 10 tooth on SRAM won't wear out quickly unless you ride like an idiot. If you live in a reasonably flat area or are super fit the 1X is cool. You will obviously put a bit more wear on the small cogs if you go 1X.
Not sure what super fit means. I'm in pretty good shape and ride a fair amount. We do have some hills here though, contrary to popular belief and when I go on vacation to the rockies I do a lot of climbing. Right now I've got a 52/36?? or 52/39, I can't remember...and I've got an 11x32 out back. On independence pass I maybe used the 32 a couple times for a short period and didn't really "need" it if that makes sense. Some of the climbs here are steeper but shorter and that's where my concern is with the 1x setup.
Old 08-17-21, 08:29 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Deciding on 1x should be simple. What's the lowest gear ratio that you need now? Can you get that with a 46 or 48 chain ring and 10-36 or 10-33? If not, then you need 2x. 1x won't use the smaller sprockets more unless the chain ring is reduced to something in the 40 to 44 range. Then you're giving up top gear.

I ride slopes of 10% and more, so I want a lower gear ratio and more range than sram offers. The solution is a 48/31 or 46/30 shimano grx crank. With a 10-36 or 10-33 cassette.
Old 08-18-21, 06:03 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,375 Times in 720 Posts
As a bike wrench I get to deal with everything every day. I am a Campagnolo user and do not run anything by Sram or anything from Shimano aside from some old friction stuff on my touring bike. Consider my opinions unbiased as my preference is Campagnolo.

The only really good thing that Sram does is wireless shifting. It is superb. Mechanical shifting Sram works well, however it is very picky about set up, wear, and dirt. Their hydro brakes pretty much suck after a several seasons, especially in the dirt. Not sure why this is, but it has been my experience over and over again.
On the other hand Shimano electronic shifting works well enough, but is a PIA to set up when compared to Sram wireless (why can't they all be this sensible?) The connectors on Shimano electronics sometimes spoil the party, and there is a slight disadvantage of a central battery when the juice runs out.
Shimano hydro brakes are very good and rarely present problems to me at the shop. By a long shot they are superior to Sram. Shimano mechanical shifting is a standard everyone lives up to and one cannot go wrong with it. Without question it is more forgiving of wear and dirt than Sram, and sets up quicker as it is less finicky.
I will take Sram wireless over anything right now, even Campagnolo (as much as it breaks my heart to admit that, sorry Tullio). I will take Shimano brakes over Sram any day of the week and without hesitation.
Thus you have my opinion. Not any more or less valid than any other opinion expressed on this thread.
Old 08-18-21, 06:49 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I have 11 speed Sram Red on three bikes and 11 speed eTap on another. eTap is great until it breaks and there are no parts because SRAM went to 12 speed where there is no cross compatibility on AXS and when you replace a chain ring, it is both rings and the spider for $300.

I am in the market now and cannot see myself swallowing the AXS blue pill.

Wireless is nice, waiting to see what Shimano or Campy brings
Old 08-18-21, 07:41 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
As a bike wrench I get to deal with everything every day. I am a Campagnolo user and do not run anything by Sram or anything from Shimano aside from some old friction stuff on my touring bike. Consider my opinions unbiased as my preference is Campagnolo.

The only really good thing that Sram does is wireless shifting. It is superb. Mechanical shifting Sram works well, however it is very picky about set up, wear, and dirt. Their hydro brakes pretty much suck after a several seasons, especially in the dirt. Not sure why this is, but it has been my experience over and over again.
On the other hand Shimano electronic shifting works well enough, but is a PIA to set up when compared to Sram wireless (why can't they all be this sensible?) The connectors on Shimano electronics sometimes spoil the party, and there is a slight disadvantage of a central battery when the juice runs out.
Shimano hydro brakes are very good and rarely present problems to me at the shop. By a long shot they are superior to Sram. Shimano mechanical shifting is a standard everyone lives up to and one cannot go wrong with it. Without question it is more forgiving of wear and dirt than Sram, and sets up quicker as it is less finicky.
I will take Sram wireless over anything right now, even Campagnolo (as much as it breaks my heart to admit that, sorry Tullio). I will take Shimano brakes over Sram any day of the week and without hesitation.
Thus you have my opinion. Not any more or less valid than any other opinion expressed on this thread.
Thank you for this. I always had Shimano mechanical until I got Di2. As I didn't have to set it up, I have no complaints :-). It has been flawless since I got my bike last November. On the other hand, I have SRAM Apex 1 on my cross / gravel bike. I can get it dialed in and it works great! But as soon as it gets a little dirty during a gravel event, the shifting deteriorates rapidly. If I apply a little lube after 30 miles, it's better, but it just doesn't seem to take much to cause the shifting to hesitate. In feel, it reminds me of older Shimano rather than newer groups (I've had 8, 9 and 10 speed Ultegra, and 11 speed 105). But... mine may be a 1 off experience. I know plenty of people who love it.
Old 08-18-21, 07:54 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,711 Times in 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
there is no cross compatibility on AXS and when you replace a chain ring, it is both rings and the spider for $300.
That is only true for Red AXS, not so for either Force AXS or Rival AXS, both of which use separate spider and chainrings.
Old 08-18-21, 10:16 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
With a 48x12 high gear, you'll be coasting a lot going down the other side of those hills.

And probably spin out early even on flats.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-18-21, 11:16 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
In general for a 1X setup, you're really losing out on the top end. I've got a Crux in Rival 1X and it works great for climbing as I have it with an 11-42 cassette but top out around 25MPH.

Talking SRAM vs. Shimano, I've got a SuperSix with Red 22 and a Roubaix with Ultegra; both mechanical. They both offer unique shifting qualities, SRAM is more crisp but can be abrupt where Shimano is super smooth.

The only issue I've had with Red is the front derailleur; set up is finicky and it definitely doesn't like worn chains. I haven't had to adjust the rear derailleur at all since building the SuperSix last year. With Ultegra, the front derailleur is pretty slick with the cable tensioning; works great after set up. The rear derailleur needed some attention recently with the cable tension but otherwise works well.
Old 08-18-21, 11:21 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I always have to watch what I say on this one...

Hydro brakes = Shimano. Hands down. Not even close.
Shift quality = even with electronic this one also goes to Shimano
Long term durability = Shimano
Ease of finding parts and interchangeability = Shimano
1x for road = No thanks. It is fine for many but even after I spent many years developing 1x systems that worked for cross when no one officially had any I will say that I have even gone back to 2x for gravel. 1x is great for removing a point of failure in applications like cyclocross racing but for daily riding - no thank you.

I love SRAM. I love the company and its employees. I believe they have done some great and innovative things. I have installed, ridden, and serviced so many SRAM groups it would make your head spin. I also believe they will always be second fiddle to the shear dominance that is Shimano's engineering and manufacturing capabilities. Shimano's forging capabilities on their own are hard to compete with.

We are lucky to be able to pick from these two options though. I wish Campagnolo still had a decent supply chain, availability and acceptance but they absolutely lost that war by orders of magnitude in the last decade.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 08-18-21, 12:42 PM
DaveSSS 

I use an unusual combination of sram force axs with 10-36 or 10-33 cassettes, but with force mechanical brake levers operating Juin-Tech GT hydraulic calipers and Campy rotors. I use Shimano grx 48/31 cranks for more range. The 48/10 is the same as a 53/11, so I have plenty of top gear and more low, as needed. The force chains are the most quiet I've ever used. I rode nothing but Campy for 25 years and switched from chorus 12 speed. No regrets.

I post on the sram axs owners page on Facebook. It's amazing to read all of the complaints that come from those who can't do their own bike setup and maintenance and have problems from poor work done at local shops.
Old 08-18-21, 02:59 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
*snip* The force chains are the most quiet I've ever used.*snip*
Ah...that means you've never ridden Shimano. The chains disappear under you completely.

I post on the sram axs owners page on Facebook. It's amazing to read all of the complaints that come from those who can't do their own bike setup and maintenance and have problems from poor work done at local shops.
Absolutely a lot of shops do poor work on installation but the same goes for Shimano and Campy as well. A lot of SRAM gear is absolutely great...until it's not. SRAM is a home town company. To say we are "closely related" would be an understatement. I don't take my criticism lightly. This is like pointing out the flaws of your own family members.

SRAM can be installed and maintained poorly. That can and will cause problems. There are also a pile of "officially un-acknowledged" issues with SRAM gear that some of us have had to learn how to fix through a combination of ingenuity and some back room information sharing. While it is great that the work arounds can be found and they have a great service and warranty department - we don't need those work arounds in nearly the same volume with Shimano. In 12 years I have only had to process 1 Shimano warranty.

Combine this with the fact that Shimano absolutely dominates the entire OEM market and the order of magnitude of better quality and design starts to sink in.

Keep in mind as well that SRAM has eliminated their outside reps. They have halted all sponsorship and support of races and events even in their own back yard and have now hired a pile of inside sales people that will seemingly be handling direct to consumer sales and support. Some of you might actually love that but the reality means that more and more of us shops will absolutely be less inclined to handle service and warranty. *shrug* Don't know how that will bode in the future but it definitely gives me a bad feeling.

Old 08-18-21, 03:22 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
I had a Shimano 105 on my previous bike. My current one has SRAM Rival. To me it's the old Ford vs Chevy deal. Both get the job done. There are dedicated fans of both, but they are virtually the same in quality and design. I prefer the SRAM only because to me it's a little more exotic. Shimano is everywhere. They both work just fine.
Old 08-18-21, 05:57 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
With a 48x12 high gear, you'll be coasting a lot going down the other side of those hills.

And probably spin out early even on flats.
I think the OP is referring to a 48t 1x ring, connected to a 12-speed cassette.

It's harder and harder to find cassettes with a 12t small these days.

And who's spinning out 48x12 on the flat? Ashton Lambie just did a sub-4 minute 4km on 64-15, which is barely a quarter wheel rev higher than that.
Old 08-18-21, 06:05 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
... so tempted ...
Old 08-18-21, 09:12 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
TiHabanero covered it perfectly in my opinion, my most recent build went to Campy and I'm happiest with it. Haven't tried their electronic but Shimano played out better in the bikes I've built vs. sram. Sram impressed me as a good alternative when they first came out but I've been less and less impressed as time as gone on.
Old 08-19-21, 07:46 AM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Ah...that means you've never ridden Shimano. The chains disappear under you completely.
When Shimano 12 speed actually becomes available, I'll give their chain a try. I spent over a year on Campy 12 and a year on SRAM AXS 12. The Force 12 chain is definitely more quiet than a Campy 12. It even works with Campy cranks and cassettes, despite the .006 inch larger diameter rollers. I alternated between the two chains with my Campy 12 drivetrains. The Force chain was my choice for the AXS drivetrains.
Old 08-19-21, 10:23 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

When Shimano 12 speed actually becomes available, I'll give their chain a try. I spent over a year on Campy 12 and a year on SRAM AXS 12. The Force 12 chain is definitely more quiet than a Campy 12. It even works with Campy cranks and cassettes, despite the .006 inch larger diameter rollers. I alternated between the two chains with my Campy 12 drivetrains. The Force chain was my choice for the AXS drivetrains.
Shimano's asymmetric link designs combined with the cassette and chain coatings really deaden so much.

Old 08-19-21, 10:28 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Old 08-19-21, 10:29 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Old 08-19-21, 10:33 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
My Shimano 6800 mechanical is flawless. I have 28,000 miles on it in about 3.5years. It shifts deadly accurate and smooth with no noise from chain at all. I see no reason to do to Di2 since this is going on. I did upgrade just recently the past month to an r8000 rear derailleur because I like the angle better it goes into the pinch bolt and is a slimmer design. The old one worked fine this is better but not a huge difference as such. But now I have a spare derailleur and that is not a bad thing in the present shimano parts market. Shram to be is clunky and all my tools are shimano and tools are expensive.
Old 08-19-21, 08:51 PM
LSUFANDAN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I have a Diverge with shimano grx 810 and a Tarmac with SRAM Rival eTap AXS. I like the sram setup overall better but agree with everyone else when I say the shimano brakes are better.
Old 08-19-21, 09:11 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
I have Ultegra Di2 on one bike and Rival AXS on another.

Overall I prefer the ergonomics and functionality of the SRAM setup as well as the wirelessfullness (yes that's a word. look it up). Performance and reliability are a tie.

But if something happened that forced me to write off SRAM for life, e.g. a SRAM employee kicked my dog, I wouldn't lose any sleep going back to Shimano.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.