Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stuck, siezed pedals..

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Stuck, siezed pedals..

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-22, 01:01 PM
SilverSteve

Bikes: 2003 Iron Horse comfort bike (daily rider); 1981(?) Raleigh Super Grand Prix 25.5", 1983 Raleigh Super Course, 25.5", Austro-Daimler Inter 10, 1988 Trek 560 25.5"; 1986 Peugeot Mont Cenis 64cm.; more to come

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Stuck, siezed pedals..

I have two classic ten speed road bikes whose pedals are totally stuck or siezed to the alloy pedal arms. Arrrgghhh..! Can anyone offer some advice or tips for getting them unstuck and able to thread out from the pedal arms - without ruining the aluminum pedal arms? I'm at my wit's end.! 😐
Old 11-01-22, 01:18 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Heat. The more, the better, until you start melting stuff then it's too hot. You can start with a propane torch if you have one. Or a butane torch. The other trick that is not a trick at all is a good sturdy pedal wrench or if the flats on the pedal are wide enough a 15mm open end wrench.

But use heat. Even a heat gun could help.

If that doesn't work right way, keep in mind that heat cycles will eventually work. Keep heating and letting it cool down again.
Old 11-01-22, 03:13 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
First -- in case you don't already know -- the non-drive-side pedal is REVERSE threaded.

To the above -- I would recommend the heavy-duty Park pedal wrench (sorry, I forget the exact tool #). You can start with a good quality open-end 15mm, but don't push it. I've been able to remove a couple of exceedingly resistant pedals with the "better" Park wrench that previously BROKE open-end wrenches, including an old '80s-vintage USA-made Craftsman.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 11-01-22, 03:48 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,708 Times in 2,613 Posts
An early resto for me was an American middleweight that someone had given me, an old Columbia, I believe, complete with one of those horns inside the triangle of the frame. It had spent a lot of its life outdoors, so I wanted to overhaul all of the bears. Got one pedal off no problem. The other resisted my efforts. So I got a longer bar for increased leverage. Didn't budge for a while but then it gave--and I snapped the pedal spindle off right at the crank arm. Dang.
Old 11-01-22, 04:03 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Do not use heat unless you understand how to manage the potential consequences of changing the crank arms temper. The area at the pedal hole is extremely highly stressed, and any weakening to the arm there can lead to catastrophic failure at a critical moment ---- namely when you're exerting maximum strength on a hill climb are fully committed to that leg. Failure then means slamming the foot to earth, possibly spraining an ankle, or total loss of control because of the sudden weight shift pedal failure causes.

Removing frozen pedals is best done using long soaks in penetrating oil made for freeing freeing frozen bolts. You can also improve penetration and break any corrosion bonds by "wiggling" the pedal is a motion similar to how you'd work a fence post out of a hole. If the bike is still assembled, stand on that pedal and kind of hop on it at various positions between 12 and 6. You can also do the back side, by using a block to support the arm.

Patience is your friend here, repeated oil applications, with repeated flexing, then repeating efforts using a wrench and cheater bar to free it. It also helps to orient the wrench back along the crank and beyond center to help keep the crank from turning.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-01-22, 04:21 PM
Nuovo Record

Bikes: Colnago Super (panto) - Gios Professional (1st Generation C-Record) - Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra (Team USA) - Barellia Reynolds 531 - Fully chromed Columbus steel bike (Patelli?) Super Record Titanium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
I have used heat. My source of heat was a simple household candle put right under the pedal axle for half an hour. Don`t touch the metal then. It gets HOT!
Old 11-01-22, 04:54 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
My rule of thumb for applying heat with a propane torch is that when the part starts issuing smoke when the torch is pulled away, it's guttenhot, still likely hundreds of degrees F below the metal's re-crystallization temperature.
You can go hundreds of degrees hotter with steel, but the chrome or other finish will be affected at some point.

I've had thread damage though when simply using a stronger wrench to unscrew an extremely stubborn pedal. Better to soak the threads for a good while before and after the part first breaks loose.
Old 11-01-22, 06:24 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 220 Posts
Ran into the same problem this week. Used ice, used heat, broke a wrench. Realized that because of the shape of my wrench, I just couldn’t get good leverage. Took it to the LBS. They got out their big Park tool and a hammer. In the end, they still hand to stand on the wrench to get the pedal off. Time spent working on this at home? Several hours. At the bike shop? Five minutes. And they did it for free. Don’t worry, I paid them anyway. It was cheaper than buying the big pedal wrench that I’ve never needed in 40 years of riding.
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 11-01-22, 06:37 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Do not use heat unless you understand how to manage the potential consequences of changing the crank arms temper. The area at the pedal hole is extremely highly stressed, and any weakening to the arm there can lead to catastrophic failure at a critical moment ---- namely when you're exerting maximum strength on a hill climb are fully committed to that leg. Failure then means slamming the foot to earth, possibly spraining an ankle, or total loss of control because of the sudden weight shift pedal failure causes.

Removing frozen pedals is best done using long soaks in penetrating oil made for freeing freeing frozen bolts. You can also improve penetration and break any corrosion bonds by "wiggling" the pedal is a motion similar to how you'd work a fence post out of a hole. If the bike is still assembled, stand on that pedal and kind of hop on it at various positions between 12 and 6. You can also do the back side, by using a block to support the arm.

Patience is your friend here, repeated oil applications, with repeated flexing, then repeating efforts using a wrench and cheater bar to free it. It also helps to orient the wrench back along the crank and beyond center to help keep the crank from turning.
Along with the above information, I found this very helpful
Good Luck, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 11-03-22, 04:16 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Do not use heat unless you understand how to manage the potential consequences of changing the crank arms temper.
If you want to use heat there is an easy way to be safe (from mechanical issues; dealing with the other half...):

Put it in the cooker. Aluminium alloys will have changes you don't want starting at about 300 c. Set the temp to that or lower.

Going from 20 (room temp) to 220 makes a 14mm steel section 14.336, and a 14mm aluminium hole becomes 14.644.

For greatest leverage strip the pedal so only the shaft remains in the crank. Turn it upside down and hold the pedal shaft in a vice, and attach a bar of sufficient length to the crankarm with hose-clamps. Some pedals have a seating flange that will either need a pair of shims in the vice, or removal. Pedals with this flange are usually better quality, so find some shims if the bearings looked good when you stripped it.
Old 11-03-22, 06:36 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 265 Posts
You may just be S O L.
I've bent a Park pedal wrench trying to break free a pedal that was rusted solid on a crank arm. I was also using a 3 foot pipe on the pedal wrench at the time. I tried heat, PB Blaster, etc. with no luck.
Good luck but don't be surprised if you just lose to the corrosion...it happens.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 11-03-22, 06:40 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,290 Times in 1,279 Posts
I have a real nice Eldi pedal wrench that works well and if the pedal is stubborn I tap the wrench with a mallet while holding pressure on it .

Last edited by Kabuki12; 11-04-22 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-03-22, 06:53 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
It's probable that the majority of people who believe they have "stuck" pedals don't own a pedal wrench and don't realize that most other wrenches don't provide enough leverage to do the job. (That, and, of course, not knowing that the left pedal is left threaded. Like the left-side lug nuts on the 1960 Plymouth Golden Fury I used to own.)

When I worked in bike stores, I had the usual bike racer's pipe stem arms, so I had to get creative about using what little strength I had. As a consequence, I often succeeded at removing pedals from crank arms where other, much stronger mechanics failed. For pedals, my setup of last resort was the combination of a high-quality Crescent wrench plus a massive Park Tools FFS-2 fork blade straightening tool to apply three extra feet of leverage.

Last edited by Trakhak; 11-03-22 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-04-22, 04:40 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
It's probable that the majority of people who believe they have "stuck" pedals don't own a pedal wrench....
True, but that majority of people wouldn't come here for help. Given the bicycle list in the OP's profile, buying a pedal wrench wouldn't be out of the question.