Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

FS: 1972 Schwinn Paramount Frame in Opaque Blue (59cm C-T)

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-22, 02:13 AM
The Thin Man 

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 115 Posts

For sale is a 1972 Schwinn Paramount frame/fork in opaque blue.

Visit here for a gallery of 30+ images: 1972 Schwinn Paramount

Frame Size: 59cm (C-T) seat post & 57cm (C-C) top tube

The Bad
- The most discouraging piece of information about this frame is within the seat tube. I have taken numerous images to try and visually convey the tube condition but without running your hand over the damaged area, it is difficult to understand that the tube has been struck or crushed in some way. This damage spans for 6 or so inches right in the middle of the tube. Structurally, is it safe? I believe so as this was not a fresh wound and clearly a rider, even after the incident. Although it may be technically ridable, there are a few techniques to push this dent out again including going as far as brazing in a new seat tube if you have that ability or know a good frame builder.

- The paint is beautiful in that vintage, matte way but I believe there was no primer put down at all over the frame. This means, the paint is simply flaking away. Then again, if you are replacing a seat tube, a new coat of paint was a given anyway.

The Good
- The chrome, from the head tube, fork and dropouts are all in absolutely incredible condition. There is no pitting or rust. It shines like justice and, as you know, this is a massive sigh of relief because you saved yourself the headache of having to do any chrome plating, which is not easy nor inexpensive, if you can even find it in your city.

- The frame appears to be solid and straight. I spent a bit of time prepping and cleaning, getting my hands all over it to make sure there were no ripples, bends, obscure dents or hidden surprises. The Schwinn headbadge is nearly perfect. The threads on the bottom bracket and fork are solid and not marred or cross threaded. The head tube races look great.

The bike is cleaned and waxed, ready for you to begin your winter project.

If you have any concerns or additional questions, please send me a PM.

Price: $ SOLD $
PayPal or Venmo accepted. However you pay, please keep fees in mind so that the net amount equals $250.
Buyer to pay actual shipping charges. I'll ship anywhere in the US and will box up the frame (no charge) and use BikeFlights to ship.

I am located in Corvallis, Oregon and would be delighted for a local sale to save you shipping costs.

Last edited by The Thin Man; 12-23-22 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-07-22, 11:06 PM
The Thin Man 

I must be a little high so I've given the cost an adjustment.

This one was difficult to set a price for...
Old 12-08-22, 10:46 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
Looks to me like it was underneath something a little heavy when it was slid out from underneath the pile. If otherwise straight (just compressed), I would see no issue with riding it. Easy to bondo, paint and go.
JMHO, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 12-08-22, 11:54 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Thin Man, that seattube dent can be removed. Get your hands on a steel 27.2mm seatpost that's nicely rounded at the end and tack weld a threaded rod onto the top. Grease up the post as much as possible and judiciously sledgehammer it down the seattube. Doing so will push the dent out - perhaps not perfectly, but it will definitely improve it. Slide a remover bar, washer, and nut of your choice on the threaded rod afterwards and pound the post back out.

I've done this to a frame before - so happens it was on my '61 Paramount. Took the dent out as if it was never there. Though my dent was smaller, it was sharper than the damage on this frame. Have owned that bike for 15+ years if not longer, and it hasn't been any worse for wear in those spots.

If anything, the removal of the dent should increase the number of potential buyers who'll consider the frameset. Eliminates the need for a repaint for those who appreciate the current patina.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 12-09-22, 01:03 PM
The Thin Man 

Thanks for the useful replies! It sounds like there are certainly more ways than one to get around the seatpost issue.

Last edited by The Thin Man; 12-13-22 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-13-22, 05:58 PM
The Thin Man 

Price drop!
Old 12-13-22, 07:15 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 523 Posts
What headset would work with those lugs.
Old 12-13-22, 09:12 PM
The Thin Man 

The group can provide their own thoughts but to me, the answer would be a period appropriate Campagnolo Nuovo Record (1st Generation if we are splitting hairs) headset.

Originally Posted by bwilli88
What headset would work with those lugs.
Old 12-14-22, 12:16 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by The Thin Man
Price drop!
donotneeddonotneeddonotneeddonotneeddonotneeddonotneed

Likes For cudak888:
Old 12-22-22, 01:00 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by cudak888
donotneeddonotneeddonotneeddonotneeddonotneeddonotneed

Question:
What do you say to a man that says he has no need for another bicycle frame?
Carnack Says....

The answer is:
Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do,Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do,Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do,Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do,Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do,Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do,Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do,Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do,Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do,Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do,Yes you do, Yes you do, Yes you do,Yes you do.

OR....

Best, Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 12-22-22 at 01:31 PM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 12-22-22, 08:50 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

xiaoman1 - Oh, I've been working with our resident Thin Man on a suitable trade, but the problem is that the stuff of PNW bike builds (triples, rando bits, beautiful cranksets, and funky upright bars) doesn't exist in South Florida. Case in point, there isn't a single shop locally that stocks anything Velo-Orange, and most of them will look at you funny if you mention them.

Honestly, I don't plan on keeping it, but I really want to bang out the dent in the seattube, build it up for fun, and pass it down the line to someone who'll enjoy it as-is.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 12-23-22, 12:21 AM
The Thin Man 

Honestly, I don't plan on keeping it, but I really want to bang out the dent in the seattube, build it up for fun, and pass it down the line to someone who'll enjoy it as-is.
I feel like this bike has a multifaceted fate (don't they all!?). I was able to needle it out of the woodwork. And I know it's going to ride again in all its full glory... but I'm not the guy to restore it. I've got hooks full of projects that came before this one. So, away it goes. But, Kurt sure seems like a perfect candidate to take this one to the next level. Then, the following owner may very well elevate it further. Maybe it'll get to show condition or maybe it'll end up just passing the 10' test. Either way, there's still a strong spirit and a lot of life left in this 'ole gal!
Likes For The Thin Man:
Old 12-23-22, 12:27 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

I feel like this bike has a multifaceted fate (don't they all!?). I was able to needle it out of the woodwork. And I know it's going to ride again in all its full glory... but I'm not the guy to restore it. I've got hooks full of projects that came before this one. So, away it goes. But, Kurt sure seems like a perfect candidate to take this one to the next level. Then, the following owner may very well elevate it further. Maybe it'll get to show condition or maybe it'll end up just passing the 10' test. Either way, there's still a strong spirit and a lot of life left in this 'ole gal!
Oh, definitely just the 10' test. But without a dented seattube

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 12-23-22, 12:51 AM
xiaoman1 

Oh, definitely just the 10' test. But without a dented seattube

-Kurt
to all!
Best, Ben

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 12-23-22, 10:34 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,552 Times in 1,409 Posts
Really beautiful bike, sir. And in my size. I hadn't even really considered a Paramount previously, as I had considered most of them out of my price range, but this one is for sure priced right.

Let me know if @cudak888 passes on it, and I would sure be interested. I can't really see the damage from the pictures, but it doesn't really bother me either (although I dig the repair idea that cudak has).

I have no idea how much shipping is...I've never shipped a bike nor received one. I'm in Denver, CO.

Or, if the deal is already made, cudak please keep me in mind for if/when you decide to pass it on. I do really enjoy projects, and while I already have plenty w/ my Dave Scott IM and onther, I sincerely enjoy American-made C&V bikes and this looks like something I'd have a lot of fun w/ building up. I've been really digging the Treks lately (even w/ the Asian back triangles) and I know that no truly American cycling experience is complete without a Paramount.
Likes For AdventureManCO: