Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Replacement Brake Levers

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Replacement Brake Levers

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-21, 07:08 AM
Topless68

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Moutain Solo CXR, 1985 Norco Avanti SL, 2004 Raleigh Tomahawk ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 19 Posts
Replacement Brake Levers

Hi All, I'm converting an old Norco to a single speed, and need to find replacement brake levers. Currently, the bike has drops, and grip brakes with DiaCompe "calipers" (for lack of better term). I want to keep the drops, but change the brakes to be normal levers on the flats. I learned that you need to find brake levers that are compatible with canti/road style brakes because they are short pull, while anything listed for V-brakes are long pull.
Any suggestions for levers that won't cost me a fortune? (In Canada)
the handlebars are 22.2mm diameter.
Old 04-29-21, 07:20 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Topless68
Hi All, I'm converting an old Norco to a single speed, and need to find replacement brake levers. Currently, the bike has drops, and grip brakes with DiaCompe "calipers" (for lack of better term). I want to keep the drops, but change the brakes to be normal levers on the flats. I learned that you need to find brake levers that are compatible with canti/road style brakes because they are short pull, while anything listed for V-brakes are long pull.
You can use interrupter levers like these. Just terminate the cable at interrupter lever instead of the at a regular drop bar. Alternatively look for “road flat bar brake levers” like these. The only issue there is that they may not go around the curve of the drop bar. There are some out there that are hinged but I can’t say which ones.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-29-21, 10:46 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Topless68
Having your only brakes on the tops of drop bars isn't a great idea - braking from the tops is fine for gentle "routine" braking, but not great for control if braking hard or in an emergency, and if you're not set up for emergency braking (ie, for those situations that come out of nowhere), you're not really set up for braking. I second the addition of interruptor levers for the tops - that way you can brake from the tops all you like, but have the "proper" brakes on the drops for maximum braking power and bike control when you really need them
Old 04-29-21, 11:25 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I'll second Cyccommute's suggestions about what to look for, and Litespud's advice to not have your only brake levers up top. I'd either do interrupters or drop levers only.

If the tops are where you think you will be most of the time (enough to justify having your only levers there), I'd consider going with a flat bar.

Just my $0.02.