Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

My Death Valley Double Century Report

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-09, 11:09 PM
DanRH 

Bikes: Da Vinci Joint Venture 700 Tandem, Volagi Liscio Carbon Single, IF Steel Crown Jewel Single, Lemond Fillmore Fixie, Ritchey Breakaway steel single, Bontrager hardtail MTB Single

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry, I rode it on my single. I can't get Kath to do a double yet. Maybe Solvang next year. I saw one daVinci on the ride but they were riding the century version. I didn't see any tandems on the double unfortunately.

Here's the link to my ride report with many pictures. An absolutely beautiful ride with perfect weather!

https://danhertlein.com/dvd2009fall.htm
Old 10-27-09, 12:39 AM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love riding in DV. It's one of my favorite spots! Solvang is probably the most tandem friendly double out there. Hopefully you'll be able to do that next year on the tandem. You'll have a blast.
Old 10-27-09, 01:20 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Great photos.. I think the Scotty's route is my favorite. We did the one century March 1 one year. THere were snow flurries when we got to Scotty's Castle. For a So Cal cyclist , that was a first.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 10-27-09, 08:53 AM
jnbrown

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
A friend of mine at work who has been doing a lot of doubles did it.
Tall skinny guy his name is Keith Jensen.
Rides a grey Scattante CF bike.
Are you doing the Borrego Springs double? That was the first one he did last year.
Old 10-27-09, 09:19 AM
DanRH 

Bikes: Da Vinci Joint Venture 700 Tandem, Volagi Liscio Carbon Single, IF Steel Crown Jewel Single, Lemond Fillmore Fixie, Ritchey Breakaway steel single, Bontrager hardtail MTB Single

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, don't know him that I know of. Borrego looks like a good one but alas, my double season is now done. Maybe next year.
Old 10-29-09, 05:37 PM
uspspro
Tandem Mountain Climber

Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Litespeed Gravel, SuperSix Evo HM, Larry vs. Harry Bullitt (e-cargo)

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Dan which is better to do, if you had to pic one, fall or spring double?
Old 10-29-09, 07:17 PM
sprinter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uspspro
Dan which is better to do, if you had to pic one, fall or spring double?
I'm not Dan, but We've done each route 6 times, and hands down my favorite is the Northern route (now the fall route). IMHO it's more interesting, has better road surfaces (except to the Ubehebe crater), is faster and most importantly avoids the road to and from Ashford Mills.
Old 10-30-09, 03:30 PM
Brandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We were there working the Scotty's Castle lunch stop. There was one tandem on the Double Century route, they were "Mustang" and just competed in Two Tandem Mixed at the 508. They were wearing 508 jerseys.

Wheels Rolling
Old 10-30-09, 03:32 PM
Brandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, and I can't wait to ride this route next year. We did the Spring DVD on our tandem. All I remember is ouch and wanting to bail at Furnace Creek at mile 150. Alas, I am the stoker and my captain didn't stop for us to put lights on the bike until a few minutes later.

Wheels Rolling
Old 10-30-09, 04:38 PM
act0fgod

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro, Bilenky Coupled Tandem, Calfee Tetra Tandem

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Question

For the Death Valley races is the jersey included in the entry fee. When looking at the website it states "Entry Fee covers entry to the ride, Death Valley National Park entrance fee, route sheet, excellent rider food at the checkpoints, "Subway" lunch, roving SAG support, an ambulance on patrol, and event results and images on this nifty website." The jersey is not listed but $109 seems a bit high if there is no jersey included.
Old 10-30-09, 07:04 PM
Brandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by act0fgod
For the Death Valley races is the jersey included in the entry fee. When looking at the website it states "Entry Fee covers entry to the ride, Death Valley National Park entrance fee, route sheet, excellent rider food at the checkpoints, "Subway" lunch, roving SAG support, an ambulance on patrol, and event results and images on this nifty website." The jersey is not listed but $109 seems a bit high if there is no jersey included.
It does not include the jersey. The cost of running an event like this in Death Valley is high, so the registration fee reflects that. There are costs incurred that most event promoters don't have to take into consideration, like the ambulance, the NPS $10 fee for every rider, the cost of driving out to a remote area and taking care of at least two dozen volunteers out there while you're at it, the satellite phones they have to rent so they can keep in contact with all of the volunteers and race staff because there is no cell coverage. The list goes on.

Wheels Rolling
Old 10-30-09, 07:49 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandy
It does not include the jersey. The cost of running an event like this in Death Valley is high, ...
You forgot it's a "Kostman" event... No slam on him, it is what it is and most of the doubles have gotten pretty expensive. Some of the organizers use the money (proceeds) for charities and others use it to live on. As long as the event sells out every year there is no reason for the price to be lowered... Personally I love riding in Death Valley and do it a lot, for free!
Old 11-02-09, 07:11 AM
DanRH 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YOu're right Homeyba,

It is expensive. Kath and I are considering DVD next year (the single probably) and the thought of staying there at the Inn is really going to be expensive. Probably a $700 weekend at least. After driving down there from the Bay Area, closer to a grand! :-O.

Probably won't happen though as far as doing the double on the tandem. That's a hurdel we need to get over. Not payiong for it, riding a double on the tandem. I know she's capable, she's just not too postive on the thought!