Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to Adapt Afline 8 or 11 IGH to work w/ Shimano Roller Brake?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How to Adapt Afline 8 or 11 IGH to work w/ Shimano Roller Brake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-15, 04:16 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops
Not backwards as much as ... slightly underpowered for a tandem. I guess I'd have an IM81 both front and rear.
I certainly wouldn't use my setup on a touring tandem, but for my purposes, it's more than adequate.
Old 04-21-15, 04:51 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
Be careful, the same folks claiming the rollerbrake is a viable option also recommend Sturmey Archer. There's a reason you don't see either on OEM bikes, they suck....
I personally hate Roller brakes,but for riders in flat areas riding at a slow pace they're fine,which is why I didn't say anything to the OP. Horses for courses. They do suck for places like DC. We have them on the share bikes,and I've almost been hit twice because of Rollers that didn't stop,and almost went over the handlebars once from one that locked. DC is really hilly,and they get dragged down the hills by noobs and tourists,and only receive maintenance when they're reported.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 04-21-15, 07:37 PM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
Be careful, the same folks claiming the rollerbrake is a viable option also recommend Sturmey Archer. There's a reason you don't see either on OEM bikes, they suck....
You keep reporting as fact something that is nothing more than your personal opinion and bias. Your contribution here is 0.