Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

eBike conversion

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

eBike conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-21, 12:00 PM
Mlcdc1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
eBike conversion

Interested to know if anyone has added one of the eBike conversion kits to their tandem. I have a Trek T100 and exploring the possibilities. I’ve most recently looked at the Swytch kit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-02-21, 05:18 PM
maxperkins

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Swytch is good but only 250 watts. A tandem needs at least 500. I have used a 500 watt front hub motor but also check out mid drives from Bafang?
Old 10-03-21, 12:41 PM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Mlcdc1
Interested to know if anyone has added one of the eBike conversion kits to their tandem. I have a Trek T100 and exploring the possibilities. I’ve most recently looked at the Swytch kit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
We have the Cytronex C1 on a tandem and on two solos. True, the max power is 250W, but untrue that 500W is required for a tandem as it is totally dependent on what kind of riding you do. If, as in our case, the riding is without hills, but there’s a need to keep up with a bunch of younger riders (our combined ages are 162), then we find that the lowest power setting of 50W is adequate and gives a range of at least 30 miles uninterrupted use. With intermittent use, I think 40-50 miles would be achievable. The system only weighs about 8lb (3.6kg) and can be fitted in about 30 minutes. Www.Cytronex.com
Old 10-03-21, 12:58 PM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
If you do a search, this topic has been covered multiple times. Lot's of good information from these past posts.

PS: We have a 500 watt, high torque front hub motor on our tandem and we love it!! With a combined age of 146 we would never go back to a unassisted tandem,
Old 10-03-21, 04:21 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
We have the swytch on our tandem and love it. As others mentioned it depends on what you are looking for. Swytch will take the edge out of climbing and pulling a loaded trailer for a crew looking for a little assist. When in use it increases our average speed by 2-3 mph- but again depends on the team. We tandem between 16-18 mph and have our kit set to 15mph assist (you can also choose 20)

The order window opened this weekend and the company is claiming a new 6 week delivery time, it took us months to get ours, which was detailed under the thread SWYTCH, in the ebike forum. Kit runs about $500, we have both an Eco and Pro kit.

Here is the system on our cannondale-

The other benefit to this setup is it is easy to ride sans the epower. I forgot to bring the battery to our group ride this morning and we rode 33 miles with 2000 of climbing and though the climbing was definitely more painful, the flats and descents were not impacted the front hub...though our average was only 14.8.

What this system on a tandem is not: It will not be more than supplemental. If you are looking for an assist to do most of the work then you need a bigger and heavier system.

Last edited by kayakindude; 10-03-21 at 04:29 PM.
Likes For kayakindude:
Old 10-04-21, 08:03 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by kayakindude
We have the swytch on our tandem and love it. As others mentioned it depends on what you are looking for. Swytch will take the edge out of climbing and pulling a loaded trailer for a crew looking for a little assist. When in use it increases our average speed by 2-3 mph- but again depends on the team. We tandem between 16-18 mph and have our kit set to 15mph assist (you can also choose 20)

The order window opened this weekend and the company is claiming a new 6 week delivery time, it took us months to get ours, which was detailed under the thread SWYTCH, in the ebike forum. Kit runs about $500, we have both an Eco and Pro kit.

Here is the system on our cannondale-

The other benefit to this setup is it is easy to ride sans the epower. I forgot to bring the battery to our group ride this morning and we rode 33 miles with 2000 of climbing and though the climbing was definitely more painful, the flats and descents were not impacted the front hub...though our average was only 14.8.

What this system on a tandem is not: It will not be more than supplemental. If you are looking for an assist to do most of the work then you need a bigger and heavier system.

The Cytronex system consists of a motor in the front wheel, battery and electronics on the down tube, a speed sensor attached the the chainstay and a control button on the bars. All wiring is custom lengths, so fitting is very easy. The battery is in two 98Wh parts so can be shipped by air as they are both below the 100Wh safety limit. Delivery from the UK is currently about three weeks, tax-free and I've never had to pay any import taxes. UPS shipping is about three days. email support is excellent with almost instantaneous response. I am only a satisfied customer with no other relationship with the company.
Likes For Artmo:
Old 10-04-21, 12:01 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Hey I went through your link to build out a 700cc wheel just to compare and get a price. Love that they have a tandem option. Always good to have several choices.

Last edited by kayakindude; 10-04-21 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-05-21, 12:54 PM
kayakindude

Swytch opened their launch window but I am surprised by how much the price jumped since last year.

They charge $150 for the 6 week delivery on top of $100-250 product increase. That puts it closer to the $1000 price point of similar systems so not so sure it is a bargain anymore, might be a few hundred less at most.