Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

To restore or not to restore: Late 1980's Bottecchia

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

To restore or not to restore: Late 1980's Bottecchia

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-22, 03:37 PM
Ferguron

Bikes: '15 Giant Propel Advanced SL1, '17 Trek Madone RSL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 15 Posts
Pictures of these bikes are making me feel even shorter than I am...
Old 08-20-22, 04:29 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by J_Chickles
nice bike

given the Campagnolo crankset and brakes - which is either Victory or Triomphe - it probably was originally all Campagnolo --- one of the former owners must have replaced to get better indexing

i would toss the Suntour stuff in a box and say "free to whoever pays shipping" in the sales section and find some Campagnolo shifting bits and brake levers. Rims match and they appear to be Campagnolo hubs too , although from an earlier era i think -- also seatpost - probably 26.8 so slightly more difficult to source a nice Campy post, but not impossible at all

The bike is clean for a dump find for sure ! $200 on ebay for some appropriate shifters, derailleurs and levers plus another $60 for tires and you'd have a real classic !

(Or - just get the tires, re-grease all the bearings , polish it up and ride it till your brain melts -- people used to run mismatched parts kits all the time BITD )
That is a 1990 ADR Replica with the 1989 Tour De France Team paint Scheme, there were 4 levels to the replicas, the is 2nd to the bottom, the lowest level had a painted fork. Except for possibly the saddle and pedals it has all its original components. Yes, the Suntour Radius shifters and derailleurs are original to the bike, hubs are Gipiemme.
Old 08-20-22, 05:19 PM
rwh63

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Setting aside Bottecchia for newly acquired Ross!

Old 08-20-22, 07:19 PM
rwh63

Originally Posted by hazetguy
That's like setting aside a Ferrari for a Chevy Chevette.

and since the bottechhia is for sale, why are you concerned about what to do with it?
a ferrari takes a lot more thought and planning before action. not the chevette. it will be on and off the stand shortly. however, every bike is an education, and worth some consideration.

i don't know what direction i will take with the bottecchia. listing is not the same as selling.
Old 08-20-22, 08:35 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26421 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...one of those bicycles is not your size. If you are selling the Bottecchia, don't do anything to it. You won't recoup your money. And there's a good chance you might break something, taking it apart.
Old 08-20-22, 10:09 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26421 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
A link to it was posted here: https://www.bikeforums.net/22615839-post70695.html
now whether it being advertised in an online marketplace, with a price, actually constitutes it being "for sale" or it just being a publicity stunt is, i guess, up for debate.

... $750 is ambitious pricing for a project bike, but I really have no clue about the ebay marketplace.
Old 08-21-22, 09:07 AM
rwh63

A link to it was posted here: https://www.bikeforums.net/22615839-post70695.html
now whether it being advertised in an online marketplace, with a price, actually constitutes it being "for sale" or it just being a publicity stunt is, i guess, up for debate.
I don’t answer to you, and I don’t appreciate you trying to “investigate” me online. I don’t know what rocket sauce is. I did toss an ad on Facebook (I’m confident you will try to locate it). I do not have an eBay or Craigslist ad. What I choose to do with this bike is up to me. My questions here are to help guide my decision. I would suggest you spent your time more constructively.
Old 08-21-22, 09:08 AM
rwh63

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
... $750 is ambitious pricing for a project bike, but I really have no clue about the ebay marketplace.
I’m not running an eBay ad. FYI, Scammers regularly steal data and run scam ads with it.
Old 08-21-22, 05:32 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I had one that looked just like that. I enjoyed it a lot. Donated it since my riding these days is touring.
Old 08-22-22, 11:37 AM
J_Chickles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Crankset: Triomphe
Calipers: GS
Brake levers: ?

Got any free stuff of your own to offer? I love Suntour.

LOL - actually i probably do ! Since my fleet is predominately Campagnolo equipped, a lot of other stuff just sits in bins unused and unloved. Thought seriously about putting a box together for one of the "mystery box challenges" i saw on here
Old 08-22-22, 11:43 AM
J_Chickles

Originally Posted by Murray Missile
That is a 1990 ADR Replica with the 1989 Tour De France Team paint Scheme, there were 4 levels to the replicas, the is 2nd to the bottom, the lowest level had a painted fork. Except for possibly the saddle and pedals it has all its original components. Yes, the Suntour Radius shifters and derailleurs are original to the bike, hubs are Gipiemme.
I have to assume that you are correct, -- and if so , what a bizarre OEM parts mix (The Suntour stuff that is -- wouldnt be too crazy to see a Gipiemme and Campy mix on a low-mid level bike though

i learn something new every day
Old 08-22-22, 02:02 PM
Murray Missile 

I have to assume that you are correct, -- and if so , what a bizarre OEM parts mix (The Suntour stuff that is -- wouldnt be too crazy to see a Gipiemme and Campy mix on a low-mid level bike though

i learn something new every day
Never assume. Check out the specs page of the 1990 catalog here.....

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...a-catalog.html

Last edited by Murray Missile; 08-22-22 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-22-22, 03:19 PM
J_Chickles

Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Never assume. Check out the specs page of the 1990 catalog here.....

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...a-catalog.html

You guys' are a tresure trove of knowledge ! and for you to remember a 9 year old post is impressive !

Bridgestone used to spec bikes with a mixup of components too, - so much so that one might think it a "Frankenbike" also or a parts bin special if he/she didnt know better. But PEterson had opinions on what he thought should be on there and specce'd accordingly when he could , as the story goes
Old 08-22-22, 04:24 PM
J_Chickles

$750. see post 35 in this thread. clearly you need to work on your investigating skills.

Thats a stout price for an Aelle Trtubi bike that literally needs everything gone through --- the FB marketplace pics also show that the wheels arent really up to snuff either. Corrosion at the spoke eyelets point to storage in a possibly damp environment.
Old 08-22-22, 04:35 PM
Murray Missile 

You guys' are a tresure trove of knowledge ! and for you to remember a 9 year old post is impressive !

Bridgestone used to spec bikes with a mixup of components too, - so much so that one might think it a "Frankenbike" also or a parts bin special if he/she didnt know better. But PEterson had opinions on what he thought should be on there and specce'd accordingly when he could , as the story goes

You give me WAY too much credit LOL, I did research on the bike when it first appeared in C&V which included a search for Bottecchia catalogs and this is some of what came up.
Old 08-23-22, 08:22 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by rwh63
new here, and did not see a bike restoration section, so thought i would throw out my question into the general section.

i have a late 1980's Bottecchia that was a dump find. it has been a wall hanger for the past year. i have never done a teardown and rebuild. not sure the bike is worth that effort for me. this bike seems to be a mid-range model. campy/suntour components mostly. appears all original, overall in pretty good condition.

for those that regularly dabble in rebuilds (or restoration, though in my mind that means returning it to original condition), what kind of time, materials, costs should i expect to face. i'm not new to tearing things apart and doing maintenance, just never on a vintage bike.

please feel free to comment on the bike itself as well.

It is a really nice bike with it down tube shifting that makes it so clean. IMO it would be great to restore, and in time will be a good value.
Old 08-23-22, 02:46 PM
rwh63

Thats a stout price for an Aelle Trtubi bike that literally needs everything gone through --- the FB marketplace pics also show that the wheels arent really up to snuff either. Corrosion at the spoke eyelets point to storage in a possibly damp environment.
this thread is NOT an advertisement for this bike, and i don't want to see it shut down. it was meant to give a newbie some ideas about the bike and whether it should be restored to some degree. i have had PM inquiries, and did decide to toss it on Facebook MP in the interim. why not? if i am not going to restore it, i would like to give someone else the opportunity to do so. as for "value", that is very individual and subjective. i found this recent Ebay sale that somewhat is applicable. frame only, no components. it tells me something. someone selling one item ultimately only needs one buyer. https://www.ebay.com/itm/28450227172...p2047675.l2557
Old 08-24-22, 06:14 AM
J_Chickles

Originally Posted by rwh63
this thread is NOT an advertisement for this bike, and i don't want to see it shut down. it was meant to give a newbie some ideas about the bike and whether it should be restored to some degree. i have had PM inquiries, and did decide to toss it on Facebook MP in the interim. why not? if i am not going to restore it, i would like to give someone else the opportunity to do so. as for "value", that is very individual and subjective. i found this recent Ebay sale that somewhat is applicable. frame only, no components. it tells me something. someone selling one item ultimately only needs one buyer. https://www.ebay.com/itm/28450227172...p2047675.l2557

well, knock yourself out hoss
Old 11-11-22, 02:01 PM
stalefish168

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
veganbikes, can you elaborate on what is the difference between Columbus and Aelle tubing?
Old 11-11-22, 02:24 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
The paint and stickers look nice IMHO (it looks nicer and has better components than the Bertin 'm doing )and if anything worth doing a functional resto. Clean, polish and replace the consumables and ride it.

I haven't done a rebuild overhaul in a long time but the bike I found happens to be in my size and after 35 years as a mechanic I miss fiddling. Id say go for it.
Old 11-14-22, 06:17 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
My $.02 is that there’s nothing to “restore” as much as go over it to make it mechanically sound. Bottechia was my racing bike in the 80’s. They also did a bad chrome job on some frames so the down tube would fail at the head lug. I got a replacement after mine broke and rode it until I got old and fat and couldn’t sell it for more than $250 and that was with a higher grade of Columbus tubing. One of the best overall handiing road bikes for me back then. It’s a good bike if it doesn’t have the self destructing chrome job.
Old 11-14-22, 09:17 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Nice-looking, entry-level Italian race bike.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is the crankset. Campy Victory/Triomphe used a unique bolt circle diameter (116 mm, if memory serves,) for which no aftermarket rings were ever made. So, either try to collect a few replacement rings, or just accept that, once a chainring wears out, you're buying a new crank and bottom bracket.

--Shannon