Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tubus Racks-Refinishing?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tubus Racks-Refinishing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-14, 12:20 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Tubus Racks-Refinishing?

So my black Tubus racks are getting a bit sorry looking. Wondering if anyone has refinished them and if so what did you use?
Old 09-09-14, 01:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Hire a Powder coaters service .. that is what was on there maybe an epoxy instead of the polyester that they probably used.

the heating a room sized oven , to melt the stuff [440v 4 phase] electricity is the expensive part.
so more pieces you have to do, the lower the combined cost.

I got a steel Brompton bag support frame modified to have a 9" deep base to haul more stuff ..
it went into a big pre christmas wreath frame project batch
they did a powdercoat of the wire rings so they didn't drip rust down people's doors .

then my piece in that whole thing was near nothing in cost (knew people who knew the people with the ring project )

I've got a couple-3 small pieces in the Queue at a different Local Powdercoater waiting till another Black Job is to be done
then he will do those pieces , also way below market cost. just need patience then..

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-09-14 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-09-14, 02:45 PM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
+1 on the powdercoating. I did this to some Bruce Gordon racks that I had and they turned out great. I also have a set of Tubus f/r racks that I need to have done. I forget exactly how much it cost, but I'm thinking it was around $25 per rack.
Old 09-09-14, 03:00 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Most racks are painted, especially the inexpensive Al ones. Paint comes off the Al rod pretty easy, doesn't wear too good. Paint peeled off my JandD rack pretty quick. Spray paint is the quick, cheap way to touch them up.

Tubus racks are powder-coated. After damaging it in a crash, I sanded and sprayed my Cargo with 4 bux worth of satin black rattle-can Rustoleum from Walmart. I was able to do this with the rack still mounted to bike, using newspaper to mask the fender/wheel/frame. Looks fine, seems to be wearing OK.
Old 09-11-14, 12:41 AM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
I went with Tubus Cosmo and Nova in order to avoid this very dilemma.
I figured the stainless steel option would keep better aesthetic appeal in that there would be no rust or scratched paint to contend with.
They would pay for themselves in that with use, a standard chromoly rack would get scratched fairly quickly and those scratches would rust after the first or second exposure to rain.
Being a little fussy, I'd feel obliged to get said rack blasted and repainted fairly promptly and then within a year the process would need to be repeated.
Getting the unpainted stainless was a no brainer for me knowing that my initial purchase costs over my second choice of Tubus Cargo, was cheaper than a blast and repaint, not to mention the time involved.
Old 09-11-14, 03:23 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
So my black Tubus racks are getting a bit sorry looking. Wondering if anyone has refinished them and if so what did you use?
I've sanded and repainted using Automotive Trim Black (different brands) on racks and aero bars. The touch-up is invisible.

Brad
Old 09-14-14, 11:29 AM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
The only kind of paint worth considering is a two-part epoxy but they're expensive. You'd have to go a specialty automotive paint store to find them.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 09-14-14 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-25-22, 11:13 AM
elcyc

Bikes: Gary Fisher Advance (1993, heavily modded); Fuji Absolute 2.0 (2010; modded)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
Most racks are painted, especially the inexpensive Al ones. Paint comes off the Al rod pretty easy, doesn't wear too good. Paint peeled off my JandD rack pretty quick. Spray paint is the quick, cheap way to touch them up.
I have JandD for both front and rear (bought new over 18 years ago; recently switched to Iberia for rear, but the JandD was going strong ... except paint!) Not sure what JandD uses as OEM paint????
Not sure how to restore paint on aluminium. I've used back marker pen for touch-up, but it won't last.
Spray might be good option. But what about brush ... get it on nice and thick.
BTW: I have tried black duct and electrical tape. It will dry rot, though. And that gummy mess is very hard to get off!
Old 10-25-22, 11:54 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4356 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Just FYI this thread was from 2014 and hasn't been active since then.
Old 10-25-22, 12:43 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Just FYI this thread was from 2014 and hasn't been active since then.
I wonder which of the fixes from 8 years ago lasted. How many of those racks are still on the road.
Likes For himespau:
Old 10-25-22, 02:31 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I wonder which of the fixes from 8 years ago lasted. How many of those racks are still on the road.
The OP is still around, but he is still working on his racks, has not found a permanent solution yet.
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...intenance.html
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 10-25-22, 08:02 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
The OP is still around, but he is still working on his racks, has not found a permanent solution yet.
I thought this thread seemed familiar.
Old 10-26-22, 05:29 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 755 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
So did they get painted or powder coated back then and are just getting fussed over again now after wearing off new bare spots?

In any case my preference would be to look at the rubbed off patches to be signs of a well used item and leave them be. All the tape, stickers, and split tubing are uglier and just unnecessary IMO. If you must have it looking like new re-powder coating is the answer, but if my local powder coater's pricing is any indication it will cost as much as a new blackburn ex-1 rack (which I find good enough).

Try to look at the bare patches as normal wear. Maybe even consider them a badge of honor.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 10-26-22, 05:56 AM
himespau 

My only concern would be rust at those spots leading to failure, but I suppose you can keep an eye on them and replace at some point.
Old 10-29-22, 09:36 AM
elcyc

Bikes: Gary Fisher Advance (1993, heavily modded); Fuji Absolute 2.0 (2010; modded)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
From Jandd , David Sisson [reply to my email query about remaining their racks: [i]Jandd bike rack (black re-paint recommendation needed)]:

Hey

I would recommend you bead blast them before repainting. The original is
powder coated. After cleaning up the old paint you probably want to use a
good primer for aluminum before painting.

Dave
Hmmm .... not sure the orig. (brand new) racks -- front and rear -- I purch'd directly from Jandd were powder coated in mid 2004?

Last edited by elcyc; 10-29-22 at 10:15 AM.