Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

I fixed it!!! 😎

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

I fixed it!!! 😎

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-22, 03:11 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I fixed it!!! 😎

Some of you remember my recent-ish problems with an XT M770 rear hub. 🙄😉
Well, I recently got this rear wheel, with what I'm 95% sure is an XT M737 Parallax hub. Someone must have removed the sticker, that identifies it as being such, but pics on the web with the sticker, look exactly like mine. 👍

Yesterday, I grabbed an unused Continental TourRide, in 700x42, and just got it mounted up. I moved my old rear tire to the front, which is a still fairly new Contact Plus, 700x37. So now I'm rolling pretty darn smoothly, and looking for things to run over (not really). 😁😉

BTW, the rear is a 36-spoke, so I didn't lose anything there, and gained the "old" reliability of XT, that I thought I had, with the M770. 👍

That's all, thanks for listening. 😁😉

Old 10-27-22, 03:20 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

I dunno what's going on, with half a sentence missing there. I type it right, but when I post, some text is missing. When I try to edit it, to fill in the missing text, everything shows up, like I originally typed it. 🤔

Seems like a glitch, since the recent forum maintenance.
Old 10-27-22, 05:33 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
That could be what you think.
https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...m=110&AbsPos=0
Old 10-27-22, 07:17 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Yep, I'm fairly sure, just not positive, lol. 😉

But I'm positive, that I just scored an FD-M735, to go with my RD-M735 and M095 brifters. 😁

It's not exactly mint, lol, but in pretty good condition, going by fleabay pics. The only downside, the front has white XT letters, instead of gold, like my rear. 😒

I actually saw the gold-lettered front there, but the clamp size was too small.

I'm pretty happy though, they're getting harder to find, in decent shape. ✌️

Last edited by stardognine; 10-27-22 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-28-22, 04:22 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
But I'm positive, that I just scored an FD-M735, to go with my RD-M735 and M095 brifters. 😁
If you just got that M735 rear derailleur, I would suggest you remove the top and bottom jockey wheels and clean them, and re-grease them. The top and bottom are different, do them one at a time so you do not accidently mix up any of the parts. The top is supposed to have a small amount of side to side play, the bottom does not.

I like the looks of the M739 rear derailleurs, have bought a few on Ebay and at swap meets over the past couple decades, now have more of them than I have bikes to put them on. I might have one or two M737 mixed in, I think they are essentially the same as M739. But, most of mine did not have the original jockey wheels or the seals had been removed from them before I bought them, that is part of the problem with buying used.

That said, I put sealed ball bearing jockey wheels on some of mine. Photo is from my 2017 Lynskey Backroad.

I just realized that is not a current photo, now the upper wheel is also red but in the photo it is silver.
Old 10-28-22, 12:40 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

That M739 is pretty cool too, but I've got my head in C&V mode, usually, so older is better, lol. 😁😉

A guy in the C&V forum thinks the white-lettered fronts were for 6-speed, and gold-lettered rears were 7-speed. So even though mine are both M735, they're still not an "exact" match. That's probably going to bother me, until I find a gold-lettered front, that fits. 🤔😉

I cleaned & re-greased the pulleys right after I got it, awhile back, and the rubber dust seals are still in good shape. 👍 I appreciate the good advice though. 😎