Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

1st time 90's Shimano XTR freehub lube went smooth except....

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-22, 08:12 PM
The Diceman OHH
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

The rubber seal you pop out to drip the oil in, the picture that I'm looking at on google says I put that thing in backwards. Not gonna tell stories, I had a couple very high abv beers at the time of install. I've got German heritage and my everything in it's right place ocd is at defcon 4. This thread is part sociological survey and part mechanical advice. Go fix it or leave it be and suffer in silence at my ineptitude?
Old 07-19-22, 09:20 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Some of the early freehub rear seals are plastic. I’ve stopped trying to get them out since they easily break with age. Even tried a very small surgical hook, but it wasn’t fool proof.

John
Old 07-20-22, 10:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I can't enjoy high ABV beer anymore. Getting too old and one 12 fl.oz bottle, can or pull will almost knock me on my butt. Lower ABV beers let me drink more per sitting. Been brewing some decent IPA recipes I scaled back to less than 5%. Hoping to get them lower.

The seal? Don't worry about it unless you ride in loose dirt or sand every day of the rest of the bikes life.
Old 07-20-22, 12:51 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Check this vid at about 10:50 mins. Not your exact freehub but may give a clue for orientation of the seal.