Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

how badly can i screw this up?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-16, 06:17 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts

So I am thinking of trying to build my own wheels for my Bike Friday. Am I correct that - given a disaster - I would still have a usable hub and rim and would only need to pay for spokes/nipples and labor if I threw in the towel? Or could the process of building (badly) ruin the rim or hub? Trying to decide how much risk I want to take. My experience is that something always happens and nothing is as easy as it seems so I like to plan for the worst case.
I'd be a lot more comfortable knowing I could take the major parts to a shop if need be, rather than doubling my cost.
Old 12-07-16, 06:29 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5892 Post(s)
Liked 2,752 Times in 1,535 Posts
One of the first things I learned relating to mechanics is "nothing is foolproof, because fools are too ingenious".

That said, it would be near impossible to damage the hub, but if you really went crazy you could warp the rim enough to make rebuilding harder than with a new rim.

On the bright side, odds favor that the spokes will also be OK, so the greatest risk there is ordering the wrong length.

In the end, besides time, the most likely casualty of an aborted effort would the nipples, plus some time, and maybe some of your hair.

If you're willing to roll the dice a bit to pay for the education, then most definitely go ahead and give it a shot. When finished you can buy a beer, either to celebrate or cry into.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-07-16, 06:37 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by FBinNY
One of the first things I learned relating to mechanics is "nothing is foolproof, because fools are too ingenious".

That said, it would be near impossible to damage the hub, but if you really went crazy you could warp the rim enough to make rebuilding harder than with a new rim.

On the bright side, odds favor that the spokes will also be OK, so the greatest risk there is ordering the wrong length.

In the end, besides time, the most likely casualty of an aborted effort would the nipples, plus some time, and maybe some of your hair.

If you're willing to roll the dice a bit to pay for the education, then most definitely go ahead and give it a shot. When finished you can buy a beer, either to celebrate or cry into.
So I found this online, and I might just blatantly rip off his specs and everything =). https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...page_id=400695 That would make if a bit more fool-proof, maybe. I would probably err on the lower tension side by nature, so unlikely to warp the rim. If I got it put together properly and it wasn't perfectly trued up, I wouldn't mind paying the lbs to do that since I don't have the proper gear (will be truing to sound using iphone pitch app).

Is there anything involved that requires a lot of hand or finger strength? I've small hands and a bit of arthritis...
Old 12-07-16, 06:40 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

As I said, you should go for it, since the cost of your education is going to be very low.

As for the arthritis, that's tricky because while no strength is called for, there's plenty of finger dexterity involved so if motion alone is going to be painful you may have issues.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 12-07-16, 07:03 PM
linberl

Dexterity is fine, so I think it should be okay. Thanks for the encouragement - I will do it. I have an old wheel I replaced previously which I think I will "take apart" to reverse engineer the process and better understand how it works. No loss if I can't put it back together =). I'm excited about this - nothing beats the "i did that" feeling!
Old 12-07-16, 07:06 PM
FBinNY 

Don't take the other wheel apart. stand it up next to the one you're working on as a template and reference.

If the number of spokes and crosses is the same, then it's a perfect example to copy exactly. If the number of either spokes or crosses are different then you'll have to do some translating, but the basic pattern will still be similar.

Old 12-07-16, 10:35 PM
linberl

Ah, okay. And that would be correct even if it is not the same brand of rim? Regardless of rim and hub brands, the lacing should be the same on the same size wheel? Because that would make it much easier to have a visual to follow...
Old 12-07-16, 10:46 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 393 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Ah, okay. And that would be correct even if it is not the same brand of rim? Regardless of rim and hub brands, the lacing should be the same on the same size wheel? Because that would make it much easier to have a visual to follow...
Yes.

And FWIW: 20" wheels are much harder to screw up. The smaller hoop is much more rigid and harder to warp. (I've built quite a few for my recumbents.) The downside is that the more rigid rim hides tension variations. You can end up with a wheel that looks close to true but some spokes loose while some are very tight.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 12-07-16, 10:47 PM
FBinNY 

Ah, okay. And that would be correct even if it is not the same brand of rim? ....
Yes, to a spoke, everything is a hole. The only thing that matters is the positions of the holes at either end.

Old 12-07-16, 11:21 PM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
I say do it. I find wheel building very therapeutic. I like the Jobst book.

https://www.buckyrides.com
Old 12-07-16, 11:33 PM
linberl

Cool =). I'll do it and then take one wheel in to my lbs just to have them check the truing/dishing aspect. If it's okay, great. If not, then maybe I can encourage them with some beer to teach me how to true it properly. The Jobst book was recommended to me by several people, so I will start there. THANKS!
Old 12-07-16, 11:41 PM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
I found the inexpensive Park Tension meter a good tool to have and learn with.
The hardest thing for me to learn was "do lots of small things verses one large change" - this really makes a difference in building hq wheels.

James
Old 12-08-16, 12:06 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Reading this thread gave me a headache, My first effort led to me attacking the wheel with a piece of 2" pipe. I completely destroyed that wheel and cassette. I love doing bike mechanics but building wheels is more akin to an art form I think. Now I better go find a puppy to cuddle, or Strangle.
Old 12-08-16, 06:30 AM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, to a spoke, everything is a hole.
Did you just make that up? That's brilliant!

Jim
Old 12-08-16, 07:56 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by jbucky1
I found the inexpensive Park Tension meter a good tool to have and learn with.
The hardest thing for me to learn was "do lots of small things verses one large change" - this really makes a difference in building hq wheels.

James
Not helpful on 20" wheels because the spokes aren't long enough to fit the tool.

Be sure to start all the nipples evenly on the spokes. Then build up tension gradually counting turns as you go. Like FB suggested, use a good existing wheel as a template and as an "analogue" test for tension.
Old 12-08-16, 08:23 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,746 Times in 2,551 Posts
I got my start building wheels by transferring a new rim onto an existing wheel. Simpler times.
Old 12-08-16, 10:11 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by jgedwa
Did you just make that up? That's brilliant!

Jim
Yes, it seemed apt at the time.

Old 12-08-16, 10:29 AM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26471 Post(s)
Liked 10,425 Times in 7,240 Posts
Cool =). I'll do it and then take one wheel in to my lbs just to have them check the truing/dishing aspect. If it's okay, great. If not, then maybe I can encourage them with some beer to teach me how to true it properly. The Jobst book was recommended to me by several people, so I will start there. THANKS!
...there used to be at least one person who taught wheel building at the SF Bike Kitchen in SOMA. You just list your location as Bay Area, so it's hard to tell if that is feasible for you.
Old 12-08-16, 10:36 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by coominya
Reading this thread gave me a headache, My first effort led to me attacking the wheel with a piece of 2" pipe. I completely destroyed that wheel and cassette. I love doing bike mechanics but building wheels is more akin to an art form I think. Now I better go find a puppy to cuddle, or Strangle.
Yes, that's what I am afraid of and why I started this thread. If it goes badly, at least I won't be out a ton of money for the parts and knowing that will keep me from taking a pipe to it. I'm usually pretty patient so I'm hopeful I have the right temperament. I usually only get furious when something has been tightened down too much by a shop mechanic and I can't budge it (not the strongest old lady out there). Then I'm stuck til the weekend so my son can come over and loosen it.
My back up plan is to get is assembled and, if it seems wonky, there is a community bike shop that's open 2 days a week to help cyclists with their bikes. If I have to, I can make the Ride of Shame over there with the wheel. Bringing beer or brownies usually works
Old 12-08-16, 12:28 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 45 Posts
I'll also add there are some good videos out there about wheel lacing. Watch a few.

When you first assemble it, turn the nipples on so all of them have the same engagement, and then tighten them a little at a time going all around the wheel.

Have fun with your build.

-SP
Old 12-08-16, 12:29 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26471 Post(s)
Liked 10,425 Times in 7,240 Posts
My back up plan is to get is assembled and, if it seems wonky, there is a community bike shop that's open 2 days a week to help cyclists with their bikes. If I have to, I can make the Ride of Shame over there with the wheel. Bringing beer or brownies usually works
...try to find some old guy over off in a corner happily working away on something by himself. That's what I would be doing, and I know a lot about bicycle wheels.
Old 12-08-16, 12:32 PM
FBinNY 

...My back up plan is to get is assembled and, if it seems wonky, there is a community bike shop that's open 2 days a week to help cyclists with their bikes. If I have to, I can make the Ride of Shame over there with the wheel. ...
There is no shame in trying and failing, or asking for help. The only shame would be in being afraid to try in the first place.

BTW - there's a famous quote about this, but I couldn't find it. I'll buy whoever finds the quote and citation a virtual beer.

Old 12-08-16, 12:40 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...try to find some old guy over off in a corner happily working away on something by himself. That's what I would be doing, and I know a lot about bicycle wheels.
The people working there, who help out, are all young. Young enough to be my grandkids actually! I think they think it's "cute" that a little old lady likes to wrench. And they are usually shocked when I ask an intelligent mechanical question or know what they are talking about. And then they are surprised when they find out I bike everywhere. They do like my bike, though. It's like taking your dog to the vet, you want the vet to love on him, too.
Old 12-08-16, 01:33 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
If you have any mechanical aptitude you will be able to do it. Take it slow and don't be discouraged.
I wasn't able to use my tensiometer on the spokes of a 20" wheel.
I like the Gerd Schraner book "The art of wheel building" for his spoking technique.
This ain't brain surgery!
Old 12-08-16, 01:57 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7371 Post(s)
Liked 2,523 Times in 1,466 Posts
I think the worst thing likely to happen is you don't get it working and end up paying a shop mechanic to do it for you. I doubt you'll damage anything. All you have to lose is your time.

If you think you got it right, bring it to a mechanic anyway to check your work. He/she might tweak it, and there's no shame in that, either.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.