Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

So, what do "old dudes like us" listen to while riding?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

So, what do "old dudes like us" listen to while riding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-16, 06:49 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Whatever the latest song was that got stuck in my head.
Today it was Leonard Cohen.
I was gonna say NPR but that there/Cohen is a much better answer.
Old 11-12-16, 08:10 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Now that were back on topic.
In the early season when I wad doing long rides every other Sunday I would listen to rebroadcast of Casey Kasems top 40 from the 1980s. Some good stuff there. Stories and little bits of info about the artist. My favorite thing is trying to figure out the year based on the songs being played.I rarely miss my guess.

Last edited by texaspandj; 11-12-16 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-13-16, 12:04 AM
RiPHRaPH
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Jeez always the same old thing, OP ask what music do we listen to when riding and people chime in on reasons to not listen to music while riding.
Some people shouldn't chew gum while walking either.
Right on Right on Right on

My LG V10 has great speakers. Put it in my Right Jersey pocket and play my spotify to the Rolling Stones or JGB.
Old 11-13-16, 06:03 AM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Phloom
I don't distract myself with music. I don't want to die any sooner than I have to.
This
Old 11-13-16, 06:32 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by Gyro
This
So not listening to music while riding a bike keeps you from dying. Wow that's a new medical break through.
If I rode in heavy traffic or commuting or a mup I wouldn't wear ear buds either. Fortunately I dont live in an area like that. So I'm free to wear them and do. I remember in the 80s I couldn't run with them on. I ran in an area by a college campus and it would not have been safe and it was distracting and some what over whelming. However now I live by a beautiful park with a mup and running trails and I feel totally comfortable wearing them while running. So I can empathize with those who feel as they're in danger while riding a bike.
It's kinda funny how some of the people who say they love listening to the ambience also have a song in their head. You better get that song out of your head before you get hit by a car because WE ALL KNOW IF YOU DONT WEAR EAR BUDS YOU ARE SAFE FROM CARS.
To OP when a song comes on you don't like or tired of hearing click to another song, lifes too short to not listen to music you enjoy. I use this opportunity to take out my ear buds and listen to my bike for any mechanical issues.

Last edited by texaspandj; 11-13-16 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-13-16, 06:50 AM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
So not listening to music while riding a bike keeps you from dying. Wow that's a new medical break through.
If I rode in heavy traffic or commuting or a mup I wouldn't wear ear buds either. Fortunately I dont live in an area like that. So I'm free to wear them and do. I remember in the 80s I couldn't run with them on. I ran in an area by a college campus and it would not have been safe and it was distracting and some what over whelming. However now I live by a beautiful park with a mup and running trails and I feel totally comfortable wearing them while running. So I can empathize with those who feel as they're in danger while riding a bike.
It's kinda funny how some of the people who say they love listening to the ambience also have a song in their head. You better get that song out of your head before you get hit by a car because WE ALL KNOW IF YOU DONT WEAR EAR BUDS YOU ARE SAFE FROM CARS.
To OP when a song comes on you don't like or tired of hearing click another to another song, lifes too short to not listen music you enjoy. I use this opportunity to take out my ear buds and listen to my bike for any mechanical issues.
You don't wear ear buds in heavy traffic? Helps keep you alive? Must be a new medical break through.
Old 11-13-16, 06:54 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by Gyro
You don't wear ear buds in heavy traffic? Helps keep you alive? Must be a new medical break through.
No, I said I wouldn't wear ear buds in heavy traffic. Why you may be asking? Because it MAY help keep me safe. However no guarantee as you tended to imply.

Last edited by texaspandj; 11-13-16 at 07:03 AM.
Old 11-13-16, 07:01 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Nothing...

With the number of cars on Long Island roads, you have to keep your hearing attuned for others.

Personally, I think if i had music playing, I wouldn't consciously hear it and couldn't tell you want the past 3 songs were.
Old 11-13-16, 07:16 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Nothing...

With the number of cars on Long Island roads, you have to keep your hearing attuned for others.

Personally, I think if i had music playing, I wouldn't consciously hear it and couldn't tell you want the past 3 songs were.
Off subject, but just curious.
Have you always lived there and just used to it? What is your mindset when riding? Do you see it as that's just the way it is or a fun challenge?

Last edited by texaspandj; 11-13-16 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-13-16, 07:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
lately, nature
Old 11-13-16, 08:43 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Have never listened to music while riding but do have a boombox in the garage. Most recently, while doing bike maintenance, listened to Big Youth reggae/deejay/version tunes from the early '70s.
Old 11-13-16, 09:37 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
On those rare evening commutes where I just don't give a sh*t anymore, I'll pop a bud into my right ear and listen to ambient electronica. Normally I remix my last stationary listen in my mind with the road ambient. I also try to imagine what the jaywalkers are listening to as they senselessly stroll across the street in front of me.

Last edited by Archwhorides; 11-13-16 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-13-16, 10:29 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2

I listen to music on earbuds designed to allow ambient noise through (running earbuds) when I'm on the empty mups after work, or when I'm single tracking on the mountain bike, and all I have to worry about is a lizard or a jack rabbit busting across the path.

I don't really hear the music, it's just different noise.

Oh, and it's mostly classic rock.
Old 11-13-16, 11:04 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
It's kinda funny how some of the people who say they love listening to the ambience also have a song in their head. You better get that song out of your head before you get hit by a car ....
Although I haven't tried earbuds, on empty country roads I can zone out to the tune in my head at times and I probably end up just as oblivious as I might if I were listening to actual music.
Old 11-13-16, 11:26 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,233 Posts
Originally Posted by bulldog1935
there's a logical argument that music doesn't belong on a bicycle (or on a kayak)
Distraction factor for self
Annoyance factor for others

If you need music on your bike, do you really like to bike?
Wow!!! Muy intoleranto y whacko'd.
Why would anyone care if you are annoyed for the second or few as the music passes you.

On the water= Nothing better than a quiet paddle on the Puget Sound with a little Zep or AC/DC or ...

Last edited by Wildwood; 11-13-16 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-13-16, 11:40 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Off subject, but just curious.
Have you always lived there and just used to it? What is your mindset when riding? Do you see it as that's just the way it is or a fun challenge?
I lived on Long Island all my life.

I see it as "normal". I know many roads that have light traffic. I also know when not to be on the road. There are times i have no choice and have to ride with traffic. I make sure I have my lights on and pay attention to the cars passing, cars parked and road conditions. It's not enjoyable but some times I have no choice and work to avoid it whenever possible. In the past 2 years i've done 12,000 miles with 99.999% on Long Island.
Old 11-13-16, 11:43 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by jon c.
Although I haven't tried earbuds, on empty country roads I can zone out to the tune in my head at times and I probably end up just as oblivious as I might if I were listening to actual music.
I hear you.
But for me and me only I'm not oblivious to my surroundings while riding with ear buds.

I guess it just boils down to I simply love music. I listen to it when I'm working and playing. Music is so powerful that they use It in commercials to sell products,movies to set the mood, tv to help convey a scene. Imagine a world without music it would be like a person without a soul.

I ride as far to the right as my own safety will allow and hearing a vehicle behind you, you can't tell if its going to hit you by sound/loudness alone. If you're a person who can, then you are truly a different kind of human being.
Ultimately to each his own, but if you feel unsafe in the conditions you ride then don't ride in those conditions. Fortunately where i ride i feel safe enough to wear earbuds.
To OP, i never had a bon jovi album but i think wanted dead or alive is a very good bike riding song.
Old 11-13-16, 12:09 PM
EnjoyinTheRide
Its all about the cruise

Bikes: 2014 Huffy Cranbrook , 2017 Huffy Classic Deluxe, 1972 Raleigh LTD 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I dont listen to music when I ride a bike. Thats sort of ironic to me because I have always listened to tunes when I snowboard. Most probably because my helmets are different, my snowboarding helmet has built in speakers where as my bike helmet does not.....

However if one day I do ever listen to music when It take a cruise it will probably be one of those grateful dead concerts I went to years ago.....I used to get my recordings off the soundboards via taper tickets (if anyone knows about that lol)
Old 11-13-16, 12:53 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Getting back to the original question....I do listen to music while I ride and I do wear earbuds when on trails and open roads but really was NOT the point as much as what the actual style. I listen to hard driving blues when I ride, that is my style. And I'm still alive.
Old 11-13-16, 01:02 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
that's certainly worth a block

the sound of your ghetto blaster will carry for 5 miles over the water

way too nice to be a ghetto

Last edited by bulldog1935; 11-13-16 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-13-16, 01:10 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
I have big ears, so I listen to the wind singing to me as it rushes by.
Old 11-13-16, 01:19 PM
Phloom

Bikes: Too many to list here

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To OP when a song comes on you don't like or tired of hearing click to another song, lifes too short to not listen to music you enjoy. I use this opportunity to take out my ear buds and listen to my bike for any mechanical issues.
Where I live with virtually no requirements to get a motor vehicle operator license, wearing anything that reduces your hearing is suicidal.
Old 11-13-16, 03:16 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by Phloom
Where I live with virtually no requirements to get a motor vehicle operator license, wearing anything that reduces your hearing is suicidal.
Yet interestingly safe without them. Hmmmm.
Old 11-13-16, 03:20 PM
Jaxjag
Very Old Newbie

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Headphones are illegal while cycling in Florida. I prefer not to listen to my iphone while riding.
Old 11-13-16, 03:45 PM
Phloom

Bikes: Too many to list here

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yet interestingly safe without them. Hmmmm.
Not safe, less dangerous. It's all about reducing risk. If I wanted to be safe on a bicycle, I wouldn't ride one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.