Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

First tour planned, but not sure if ready

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

First tour planned, but not sure if ready

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-16, 04:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11027 Post(s)
Liked 7,574 Times in 4,225 Posts
How did the saddle become lopsided
Old 05-29-16, 08:22 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Congrats on doing the century! Saddles comfort can be unpredictable for those first long rides. Heh, at a 240 km/150 mi pro bike race a spectator exclaimed, "Wow, I can't even sit down that long!" I tried a Brooks B17 that had a slight thigh rub on one side, otherwise felt great; couldn't tell whether it was legs or saddle that was asymmetrical. Posters have so many different favorite saddles, picking one is largely a guess.

BTW just noticed your sig about barefoot running, pretty cool. I walk/jog barefoot, dunno why so few try it.
Old 05-30-16, 02:45 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I would say the saddle is not the primary issue with your soreness. Do you ride in a fairly upright position?

I have just explained a similar issue in this thread in the Long Distance forum that you may find useful in determining that it might FIT rather than the saddle that is causing your sore sitbone problem.

Other than that, well done on your tour.
Old 05-31-16, 06:49 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
How did the saddle become lopsided
I would assume it is a factory defect? I probably had only 50-75 miles on it at that point I noticed, and that is pretty much all smooth rail trail (no potholes or anything).

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Congrats on doing the century! Saddles comfort can be unpredictable for those first long rides. Heh, at a 240 km/150 mi pro bike race a spectator exclaimed, "Wow, I can't even sit down that long!" I tried a Brooks B17 that had a slight thigh rub on one side, otherwise felt great; couldn't tell whether it was legs or saddle that was asymmetrical. Posters have so many different favorite saddles, picking one is largely a guess.

BTW just noticed your sig about barefoot running, pretty cool. I walk/jog barefoot, dunno why so few try it.
Ever seen thebarefootrunners.org ? I post there a lot. Just won a small 10k race barefoot actually, folks were really surprised!

Originally Posted by Rowan
I would say the saddle is not the primary issue with your soreness. Do you ride in a fairly upright position?

I have just explained a similar issue in this thread in the Long Distance forum that you may find useful in determining that it might FIT rather than the saddle that is causing your sore sitbone problem.

Other than that, well done on your tour.
Thanks! I'll take a look at the info you linked. But I am pretty sure the saddle is causing issues. I posted it in another thread but just for reference here it is...

My soreness was mostly on the right sit bone, which is the higher side in the pics so I guess that makes sense. I can't beleive I did not notice it prior but just walking around the bike it really isn't noticable. It's only when you are directly behind it looking at it square and around the level of the seat.

Last edited by T Stew; 05-31-16 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-31-16, 08:07 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
Congrats on completing a Century! They do get easier once your conditioning improves. -- AND when your saddle and 'seat' come to a mutual understanding. My ancient Fuji has a Brooks-clone (Fujita Belt) saddle. Every year it takes a couple hundred miles for the two of us to get used to each other again. But once we do, I hardly notice it there.

I've been a member of RTC (Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (Rails-to-Trails Conservancy - Creating a nationwide network of trails from former rail lines and building healthier places for healthier people. | Rails-to-Trails Conservancy) ) since it's inception 30 years ago, but I have yet to ride on one! One of these days... < sigh >
Old 05-31-16, 09:27 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by T Stew
I would assume it is a factory defect? I probably had only 50-75 miles on it at that point I noticed, and that is pretty much all smooth rail trail (no potholes or anything).

Ever seen thebarefootrunners.org ? I post there a lot. Just won a small 10k race barefoot actually, folks were really surprised!
The Brooks lopsidedness is really obvious in the pic, I'd hope Brooks or the retailer would do an exchange. One plus for plastic saddles--I've never had one with asymmetry issues.

Nuthin' like winning races to boost the barefoot movement, kinda surprising that folks were surprised, heh. President Carter wrote that as a kid in Georgia all the kids (not just poor families) ran around barefoot for half the year.
Old 06-01-16, 01:44 AM
Rowan

Thanks! I'll take a look at the info you linked. But I am pretty sure the saddle is causing issues. I posted it in another thread but just for reference here it is...

My soreness was mostly on the right sit bone, which is the higher side in the pics so I guess that makes sense. I can't beleive I did not notice it prior but just walking around the bike it really isn't noticable. It's only when you are directly behind it looking at it square and around the level of the seat.

Yes... there does appear to be a defect there. The retailer who sold it to you should take it back and replace it. Also, email Brooks in England with the pictures, and ensure they understand that it's an issue with the metal frame, not the leather.
Old 06-01-16, 10:37 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6239 Post(s)
Liked 4,249 Times in 2,383 Posts
I have no mileage goal per se, maybe that came off wrong. I just have to make it to a place to stay and really do not want to spend the money on hotels (other than a hostel I had planned near the trails end in Cleveland, assuming I make it there). I only have found 3 campsites along the entire route within a few miles of the trail. There are a few others I found, but getting pretty far from the trail and closer to my house where I wouldn't probably need them anyhow.
Part of your problem is lack of information. There are dozens of campgrounds along the Heart of Ohio trail. You just don't know how to find them. Go to Allstay to find campgrounds. They list commercial, state and federal campgrounds all over the nation. Sure some of them might be a little off the route but you are willing to ride 100 miles between campgrounds so a slight detour shouldn't be that big of a hassle. You can also get an app for a smart phone (if you carry one) called Allstays Camp and Tent which is a powerful little tool. You can even use the on-line mapping feature on your phone to route to any of the campgrounds. I've used this app for a couple of tours now and it works very well.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-04-16, 08:16 PM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Part of your problem is lack of information. There are dozens of campgrounds along the Heart of Ohio trail. You just don't know how to find them. Go to Allstay to find campgrounds. They list commercial, state and federal campgrounds all over the nation. Sure some of them might be a little off the route but you are willing to ride 100 miles between campgrounds so a slight detour shouldn't be that big of a hassle. You can also get an app for a smart phone (if you carry one) called Allstays Camp and Tent which is a powerful little tool. You can even use the on-line mapping feature on your phone to route to any of the campgrounds. I've used this app for a couple of tours now and it works very well.
Thanks for that link! I just used google maps to look for stuff nearby. Actually google found the two campsites that I am considering, and that link of yours did not. In fact I can only identify 3 campsites using Allstays near the trail, 1 is a nude campground (!?!) another doesn't appear to cater to tents and says no availability anyhow, and the third is right next to the one I had already planned on. The Heart of Ohio Trail is close enough to home I'm not worried about camping near there, I'd just go home. And I don't want to deviate from the trail >20 miles, just to go to a campsite. I guess the only thing that might help is giving in and staying at a hotel if needed. I suppose always an option, though I worry about how secure the bike will be at such places. If I could make it to the end of the trail, the Cleveland Hostel is close by and actually has indoor bike storage. But I'm going to have to reduce the planned trip anyhow I think. It's back on the table at least (rain forecasted for the mountains I was going to hike, and I'm actually liking the stock seat so far), but I wouldn't be able to leave until Tuesday or Wednesday. Doubt I can get to Cleveland and back in that amount of time. I guess it will give me more of an incentive to do it again if I can't make it to the end of the trail this time. But I've further run into an issue with my dog Pepper, I have never put a dog in a kennel but I might have to for this trip. But she would need shots and papers and all that, which I'm not sure if I could do on short notice now. Will find out Monday when I call the vet. I might just leave her tied up at home during the day and do a couple long day trips from home.
Old 06-05-16, 08:42 PM
i_am_you

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels

Carry a coke or pepsi for when you need an energy boost.
Lol. Sorry, had to laugh at that.
Old 06-06-16, 05:33 AM
Rowan

Originally Posted by i_am_you
Lol. Sorry, had to laugh at that.
Why? It's well known in randonneuring circles that Coke is an elixir from the gods at certain times through an event, especially towards the end of a 200 or 300 or 400.

I've found Pepsi doesn't have the same effect, though.
Old 06-06-16, 08:21 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6239 Post(s)
Liked 4,249 Times in 2,383 Posts
Thanks for that link! I just used google maps to look for stuff nearby. Actually google found the two campsites that I am considering, and that link of yours did not. In fact I can only identify 3 campsites using Allstays near the trail, 1 is a nude campground (!?!) another doesn't appear to cater to tents and says no availability anyhow, and the third is right next to the one I had already planned on. The Heart of Ohio Trail is close enough to home I'm not worried about camping near there, I'd just go home. And I don't want to deviate from the trail >20 miles, just to go to a campsite. I guess the only thing that might help is giving in and staying at a hotel if needed. I suppose always an option, though I worry about how secure the bike will be at such places. If I could make it to the end of the trail, the Cleveland Hostel is close by and actually has indoor bike storage. But I'm going to have to reduce the planned trip anyhow I think. It's back on the table at least (rain forecasted for the mountains I was going to hike, and I'm actually liking the stock seat so far), but I wouldn't be able to leave until Tuesday or Wednesday. Doubt I can get to Cleveland and back in that amount of time. I guess it will give me more of an incentive to do it again if I can't make it to the end of the trail this time. But I've further run into an issue with my dog Pepper, I have never put a dog in a kennel but I might have to for this trip. But she would need shots and papers and all that, which I'm not sure if I could do on short notice now. Will find out Monday when I call the vet. I might just leave her tied up at home during the day and do a couple long day trips from home.
The phone app might have more campgrounds. I used it extensively last year when I rode around Lake Erie and never had a problem finding a campground. I even stayed at a couple of campgrounds that didn't know about the app at all and weren't sure how they were listed.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-07-16, 08:05 PM
Turkey222

Bikes: Novara Safari

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I started my last tour with maybe 30 in the saddle for all of winter. did 92 painful miles the first day and 100 soar miles the second. After that, I was doing 100+ pain-free everyday.

If you get desperate for camping, find a church. Churches have become my primary camping spots and even came across a cyclist from Estonia at one. Just try to remember the day of the week, and be out of there prior to Sunday service or Mass (unless you want to attend).

I stopped drinking soda routinely 5 years ago; my first tour brought the addiction back. I quit drinking it routinely again 3 months ago and my recent tour brought it back as well.

Last edited by Turkey222; 06-07-16 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-07-16, 08:18 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't focus much on a certain distance , You'll find places to camp, especially if your willing to ask others for suggestions as to where . Don't push to hard , enjoy .