Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

SRAM Apex shifter position

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-21, 06:49 AM
mattpaints

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm working on a bike with SRAM Apex shifters and the shifter paddle has somehow slipped forward so that it's jutting out across the brake lever. I can't get it to slot back in behind the lever. What's the technique here? I've freed the shifter cable (front mech), but there doesn't seem to be any play allowing me to slot it back.

Any tips or tricks or am I just missing something simple? I'm more used to shimano I must admit...

Cheers
Matt
Old 09-10-21, 01:59 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by mattpaints
Hi,

I'm working on a bike with SRAM Apex shifters and the shifter paddle has somehow slipped forward so that it's jutting out across the brake lever. I can't get it to slot back in behind the lever. What's the technique here? I've freed the shifter cable (front mech), but there doesn't seem to be any play allowing me to slot it back.

Any tips or tricks or am I just missing something simple? I'm more used to shimano I must admit...

Cheers
Matt
Brifters:

Or the triggers:

Not sure which one you have, but those video's should show you what you are asking for.
Old 09-10-21, 04:10 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
The OP has 'Apex" shifters so they're drop bar shifters. Not sure what good the cable install videos are going to do. There is an reach adjust for both the shifter paddle and the brake lever. It sounds like one of both of them may need some adjusting.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-11-21, 07:59 AM
Jean_TX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mattpaints
Hi,

Cheers
Matt
Undo the brake cable at the brake and see if that helps. If not, then you might have to fiddle with the reach adjustments for the shifter paddle and the brake lever:

The reach adjustments are described in https://tinyurl.com/3thvhake - step 6 for the shifter paddle and step 7 for the brake lever.